Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
trip

Looks more and more like you are getting it together.
Be sure and let us know about the camping gear along with pictures.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks and I'll definitely keep this thread posted. Little by little getting all the ducks in a row. Without a doubt there'll be something I forgot, but that's part of the fun!

Another decent load of gear made it in today.

- Sena bluetooth unit - look forward to getting this setup. I've always been a gadget geek!
- Small universal bar bag - wanted something a bit more waterproof, but this was cheap enough to experiment with
- One of my 3 dry sacks. Plan is to run 1 in each saddle bag and 1 extra inside my duffle for electronics and the critical. Using the ones in the hardbags as a liner of sort - it will give me something to yank out and take with me
- TPG Tundra Gloves - decent set of waterproof style gloves. Fit is nice, a little tight in the ring finger and pinky finger's crotch
- Olympia deerskin gloves - These are a bit more Zorro gaulet style gloves than I was hoping for. Fit and feel is very good though!
- Rotopax setup - Only missing my water jug. Will hopefully get something spit balling on mounting/modifying the passenger set back. Went with the lockable version for a bit more piece of mind.
- Crampbuster - extra wide
- Scorpion - EXO-GT920 modular helmet - Reviews were right about the cheeks being tight with lid down, but the thinner pads and a little break in time will do it well. Love the fit and form
- TCX wave waterproof shoe - Really did some thinking on my shoes setup. I'd been caught on a trip with just my Sidi boots and flip flops at the beach(ended up buying some tennies for cruising/walking around the strip) So my ideal shoe would be something that bridges the gap between riding and street casual. Fit is great and they are plenty comfortable, but still decent ankle projection, full leather, waterproof, and have a gusseted tongue. Also came with this slick little shifter pad, I've been wanting to get something similar for the commute in the work shoes.

Got the new set of bar risers installed today as well. I've been dying to ride something and the bar risers had been a thorn in my side.. Took extra care installing and getting everything lined up. Went together well and hoping they hold up

I've been digging into my route more picking potential stop points and camping/sleeping locations. Starting to mooch all knowledge I can off of friends that have some long hauls under their belts. Hardest part is hearing all the spots they liked stopping at and having to choose which ones I can realistically fit into my route!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Awesome thread so far. Thanks for sharing. Bike looks great! I have Vikiing bags on my boulevard, i really like them. I too noticed that they hang with a little inward pitch, I think it is part of their design?

Did you buy or are you looking for a tent? Sleeping bag?

I am jealous of your spending spree haha. I love gadgets and gizmos, especially camping stuff. My weakness.

Let me know about the tent, I might have a hookup for you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow! I've not been keeping in touch on this Forum like I used to and I gotta say it was a pleasure reading your posts. I LOVE planning for a trip - something my husband doesn't share. Half the excitement is the anticipation and planning for the trip - you are a wise man.

I have a great set of risers so if your latest pair doesn't work, I will dig up my riser info. I, too, would like to go a little more "riser" but don't want to get into extended cables.

I have one little suggestion, and after going through a very nice hot summer, I'd encourage you to get a cup holder installed on your bike. The second one I installed will be my last - it's perfect. Barefootwillies.com - it's black. We fill it to the top with ice and then add the water. By the time we reach our first pitstop, if we haven't drank all the water, we could still count on it still being cold -- very refreshing considering our beautifully hot summer. We found that we could always count on our pitstop topping up our ice and our water just the way we liked it done. Staying hydrated is very important on your ride.

Oh, another thought -- as you plot your route, give yourself the freedom to stop and smell the roses if something piques your interest -- and yes, of course, you might be on a timeline meeting friends and family, but in general, allow time to stretch or time to that perfect picture!

I love the shopping sprees. Isn't that just the funnest joy ever! Love getting home to find amazon boxes!!

Oh, another thought --- you have froggytoggs for legs, but I recommend the jacket too --- yes, you have something -- but I love the lightweight jacket - great for not just rain, but also to keep out a cool or cold wind.

Are your shoes waterproof? Mine are, yup, sure, they are ---until it rains! I got taken there - boo. Shame on me for taking their word and not double-checking myself.

We are heading to the east coast (from Toronto Ontario) to ride Canada 911 Atlantic in early June. We know that at that time of year, we'll probably run into cold and rain so we need to pack right, so I've enjoyed reading how you're putting checkmark over checkmark against your "to do" list.

I'll enjoy reading your updates. Good luck on your trip. Enjoy the prep! (oh, got your best camera ready? Going to mount it? Got your cloud ready to receive a ton of pictures so that you can clear your card? or will you just take a stash of cards?)

·
Registered
579 Posts
trip

As a suggestion for the cup. I use a kids "sippie cup". I fill with ice at where ever and then water. Stays cold for a long time. You can flip up the "straw" while riding, have a little nip and then close it up with one hand.
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cup holder

As a suggestion for the cup. I use a kids "sippie cup". I fill with ice at where ever and then water. Stays cold for a long time. You can flip up the "straw" while riding, have a little nip and then close it up with one hand.
Just a suggestion.
OOPS --- I guess I didn't finish my "tip:" We put the double-walled plastic "glasses" that come with the straw that cannot pop out with the wind. The double wall helps the water stay colder longer....but yes, just as buddy there mentioned, fill 'er up to the top with ice, and then pour in the water. Sip away as you ride with no fear that the straw will disappear into the wind! Great!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@ Tortoise - Yeah I think it's probably angled to handle weight a bit better. Gives it the angle to fight again sagging. How have you been liking your viking bags? Loaded them up with much weight? I haven't made my tent/bedroll purchase yet. A hookup huh? I'm always looking for a deal. Let me know what brands you have a connection with. Thanks!
@Lois Mack - Great post, preciate that for sure! For hydration I had planned to use one of my camelbak setups, but haven't figured out a mounting setup just yet. Cup and holder is definitely a good alternative. See the last of this post for my rain gear setup. Just got the last of my order in earlier this week. Shoes are waterproof-ish. Nothing crazy, but they are full grain leather with waterproof membrane and gusseted tongue. As for camera and mounts - I'm still on the fence. I'll definitely have a digi cam, but I'm reluctant after taking on the filming of my subaru build(Full Length Edit). It's a heavy undertaking trying to film a cross country trek. I'll likely take a small digi cam, my gopro(bike, chest, and mini tripod mount), but won't be holding myself to any edit idea. Storage will be on my cards and then dumped when I stop at a friends place along the route.

-Rotopax water jug - excited to get the setup mounted.
-Grip shields - I'll be catching some cooler temps throughout the ride. I was really opposed to hippo hands due to its form and some function. Didn't want heated grips as I'm aiming to reduce the elec load on the bike. So this was a nice median, projection with not much form sacrificed.
-Power commander - I jumped on this without thinking it through too much. I'll be doing more research for sure
-Stuff sacks
-Dry bags - These worked out well, my large bag fits my rear duffle nicely. The pair for my saddle bags are much larger than I expected, but will do the job of a saddle liner bag just fine.
-H2O suit - Fits well, still need to size it up with my main suit.

Aaaand Drum roll please..

-Olympia Odyssey suit - Fits great, still have lots left to explore and familiarize myself with. I'll be getting the legs hemmed to fit, but may look into shortening the sleeves to get the fit that much better. My out of the box assessment is very good. Look forward to getting to know it more!

My duffel liner fits perfect! I'll either roll it tight to have room for other gear, or pack it full so it takes up the whole duffel.

Rotopax got put together and mocked up. It'll definitely add some weight and top heaviness, but I'm planning to be as safe as possible. One gallon of fuel and one gallon of water.

Looks better than I pictured in my head!

Mounting will take a little effort, but shouldn't be too bad. Plan is to attach it to the back, retain the passenger seat rest, and rest some of the pax weight on the rear rack itself. Trying to reduce strain on the mount.

Should start mounting all the bit and testing the rest of the gear over the next few months. I'm going to ride as much as possible over the cold months to get a better idea of the setup. Hoping to load up and take my first camping weekend trek to a friend's barn party down in NC soon.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
May be a dumb question... But why do you need to carry fuel? The country is littered with fuel stations and unless you're somewhere way in the back country, I can't see needed any fuel. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
@ Tortoise - Yeah I think it's probably angled to handle weight a bit better. Gives it the angle to fight again sagging. How have you been liking your viking bags? Loaded them up with much weight? I haven't made my tent/bedroll purchase yet. A hookup huh? I'm always looking for a deal. Let me know what brands you have a connection with. Thanks!

I really like the Viking bags. Have not loaded them up too heavy, but they are rock solid & could definitely handle the weight.

PM sent about tent.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
I understand that the LC1500/C90 has a smallish fuel tank............an extra gallon of fuel in good insurance if you've got the room.

For hydration I use a Thermos brand bike bottle, double wall stainless steel. Fill with ice and then add water. Pop the top and take a slug. Keep adding water throughout the day and there is still ice in the container at the end of the day. Got it at Wally world for less than $20.

You might consider riding 3 days and taking a day off or at least a short day on the 4th. That means a break every thousand miles or so.

I love loooooong rides. Two or three weeks and 4-5K miles with no destination except which direction to go the next day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@ cycleguy - This trek I'll be mainly solo riding so most all my gear and preparation has been with the "better safe than sorry" mentality. Without a doubt there's tons of stations scattered over my route. Especially since I'm mainly on the interstate corridors, but as Duffy stated - tank on my c90 is 3.7gal netting me ~150 miles per tank. Having that extra 40 miles or so strapped to my back will give me a bit more reassurance.

@ Duffy - Lois and your cup/holder suggestions have me back on the fence for my daily hydration! I like the thought of easily filling/refilling and not having to mess with my camelbak on refill. Hoping I can determine a good spot to mount the pack part of my camelbak. Then I'll leave the pack strapped on the bike and just pull the bladder our for refills. I'll be taking a shorter trek this weekend, hoping to get some time in the saddle thinking which would suit me better(cup or camelbak)

Have a friends barn party this coming weekend. Temps are on the colder side, but I'm still planning to take the first overnight trek on the c90. Will be loading up with all my new gear and old tent setup. Should be a real eye opener for me! I really need to log some miles before winter sets in fully. That's the main thing on my list I'm struggling with - Just haven't had enough free time to knock down the amount of test miles I need to be

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I made a long distance tour a few years ago and packed quite a bit of things for 2 weeks on the road. 1/2 way on the trip, I sent 20lbs of gear home USPS after I determined I didn't need some items. Had no room for souvineers... If I hadn't used it in a week of touring, I felt it wasn't necessary going forward.

RV

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Haha I have a feeling that I'll quickly realize the same RV! My main reason why I need to get out and do some weekend rides with full gear. Want to get that first hand taste of what in my gear list is just fluff.

Curious, do you have a quick list of what you mailed back? I haven't had the opportunity to pick the brain of another long distance solo rider..

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Haha I have a feeling that I'll quickly realize the same RV! My main reason why I need to get out and do some weekend rides with full gear. Want to get that first hand taste of what in my gear list is just fluff.

Curious, do you have a quick list of what you mailed back? I haven't had the opportunity to pick the brain of another long distance solo rider..
Mostly clothes... Actually, I determined I didn't need to change pants everyday. Undergarments were necessary everyday but when you layer on gear, with jackets, vests, sweaters, etc. You can go for 3 days without changing outerwear. Most riders think that you need new wear for everyday but plan to wash every 3 days and you need minimal clothes. Also, lots of tools that I didn't need, hammer for tent stakes, duct tape. With a roadside assistance plan, there is not much you can fix on the road anyway. I had tubeless tires so I could plug a tire and a small battery booster kit or jumper cables was all I needed. Fuse kit, pliers, small wrench kit only.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Very good tips RV!! I'm ok with the grunge/stink, it's a good thing I'm riding mostly solo though haha.. Battery jumper and tire plug kit are in the duffle already. Springing for roadside assistance was a definite for me. Also Verizon has a monthly rate for renting satellite phones that I plan to utilize. Armed with the sat phone and AAA I'm hoping to be as prepared for the unexpected as I can.

Got my grips and throttle lock installed last night. Hoping to get the bike back out this afternoon for a test ride with them. Tossed on my cramp buster as well

The more I ride the more I realize I have some trouble with the clutch lever with the forks resting on it's right side steering stop. I don't have a problem reaching the bar/grip, but with my arm stretched I find it a little difficult to get my short fingers around the clutch lever. Yesterday I stumbled onto a forum post on here talking about levers adjustment. After reading around on it - I plan to do the Lever Shrinking mod that Mocc has on his site(Thanks to Chuck from NC for the mod/write up). He also has other great write-ups on his site:
Moccs Place

This morning I came into work to a pleasant e-mail from my boss!

I have been waiting for just over 4 months to get the finally go ahead on taking 4 weeks PTO for the trek. Now the nerves are fully setting in!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I've finally decided on what I'd like to ride for! Took a lot of time thinking and praying over it. In the beginning I really wanted to ride for an organization with maybe a couple stops to visit with locals along the way. Unfortunately after digging in more I felt for my first time attempting something like this(ride or charity cause) I wanted to start small and obtainable. From day one if I was going to raise money I was going to donate it to my church family, Radford Worship Center. There's no better people around that are pouring out unconditional love and support for our local area. I'm not looking to stand up in front of people and put on a show to raise money. though. Would rather gather donations quietly and leave 100% in the offering plate to aid in the great works that He and our church family are doing. I'll likely use a GoFundMe or a similar crowdfunding site. Haven't decided if I will open the goal now or wait until closer to departure date. My goal I will be attempting is to raise 10 cents for every mile I ride. Netting right around $750 total.

Had a chance to ride with the new bar setup - Grips, throttle lock and crampbuster make a big difference! Lever shrink mod is going to be necessary. With the larger diameter grip, I can barely get my fingers on the levers haha.. Reaching out and not finding a lever has made for a couple interesting clutch pulls when in the parking lots!! Hoping to get the levers shrank and brake/clutch fluids changed before my ride this weekend. Also going to try and get my odyssey suit hemmed before I head out south for the weekend.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered, thanks Crash!! I wish they had a black set though.. All I can find are cheapo chinese black levers with skulls on the ends haha.. Chrome will do!

Didn't get any clutch/brake fluids swapped or suit hemmed so they're still on the list. I did have a great weekend camping and riding! Clicked down ~400 miles and had a great time testing some of the new gear. Friday after a quick sushi date I sat down to setup the Sena unit. Setup was no trouble, had it mounted and working in no time. Started getting antsy to test it on the ride!

Started out Saturday morning, final load and inspection over the bike. When down checking my tire pressure I noticed a little seepage from the rear trans drain bolt. Wiped it down and snugged the drain bolt. I'll replaced the copper crush gasket next trans service(zuki p/n = 09168-12002).

Loaded up and ready to head south. Those gloves didn't last long! Switched to my new TPG Tundra Gloves just a couple blocks from home. TPG Gloves did great down and back. Once I get my handguards installed I'll have no problem cutting through some chilly wind. Sunshine and mid 50's all day what a great ride down. I love solo riding as route/speed are the farthest thing from my mind. Just picked what feels right at the time and enjoy!!

Another plus to my throttle lock, perfect glasses holder when rigging up the helmet!

Rode out and cut through my old hometown then continued on down 52. Been years since I've traveled down through Mayberry(yes THE one and only Andy Griffith Mayberry). Enjoyed seeing all the trading posts and antique shops. No time to stop and smell the roses though as I was meeting friends for lunch. Stopped and had lunch with friends that were heading down for the barn party as well. 13 Bones was a cool little restaurant, walked in and saw this.

Suddenly I felt a little less out of place walking in with my full suit on haha. Also that sign is 100% accurate, moto therapy is all therapy we need right??

We split ways as they were heading for more shopping. Another ~2 hours before reaching my destination. I did have to stop a couple times to mess with the Sena/cellie. Music, FM radio, and answering calls came really easy with the unit. Voice commands back to my phone caused a couple hiccups for me. I need to sit down with the unit and my phone to practice a bit more. The sun had just set as I neared into my destination of Troy, NC. Finally was forced to stop just a few miles away from the barn to switch my sunnies to reg eye glasses. Prescription sunglasses will definitely be picked up before the ride. Also plan to try out contacts again. Don’t really need glass to see night or day, but every little bit helps! Only photo I snapped riding down, an abandoned gas station/restaurant to stretch the legs and back.

It’s always a great time catching up with all our NC friends. Usually only get down once a year so once the kids are asleep we tend to get a little rowdy. Big crew this time with around 50 people, parking lot was full, and I was the only one dumb enough to brave the cold.

I was the last still standing at the end of the night. So I put out the fire and headed off to a chilly 27* tent and sleeping bag.

Chuckle every year at this 'little' sign in the outhouse.

Dry bags did a fantastic job as my saddle liners! Will be great to keep all the gear dry, but also give me something I can quickly grab and take with me

Ride home I caravan'd with my brother and friend. Rt 52 to the interstates and 80mph all the way home. Bike did great, my body faired ok. Still lots of miles, adjustments to be made, mental/physical training to be prep'd for coast to coast though!

As for the gear I had a lot of first tasters of a handful of my gear. I had been waiting for a longer ride than my commute to test most of it. I’ll start from the top and work my way down. New brain bucket worked well. It’s my first modular and I really enjoyed being able to change it up during the ride. Like most reviews said cheek pads are a bit snug(will be getting the thinner set to test). I found the helmet to be very comfortable, and wind noise reasonable. With the added Sena unit I had no complaints. I did forget my chin spoiler/cover on the ride though..

My Odessey suit did an awesome job! I’m pumped the beast fits, performs, and doesn’t look half shabby either! I’ll be getting it hemmed and will ask my local seamstress if she’d be comfortable taking a hair off the sleeve length. I could deal with the sleeve, but if I can take just a smidge off it would make a huge difference for me. I rode down with just a T and shorts under to test it’s warmth. Was surprised how warm my core and limbs stayed. On the ride home I left my one piece thermals on and it made the suit that much better. Already rambled on my gloves.. So last on the list are my TCX leather shoes. They did just what I was needing off the bike. Something that’s comfortable to wear all day/night, but still protective where it counts. I will say as I was nearing the barn with temps dropping fast and no sunshine left - the toes got a little nippy!! Temps were dipping well into the low 40’s when I was getting in. I’ll carry some toe/boot warmers with me next time to test. Won’t need much, but the thinner leather does get a little chilled in the wind.

Snowshoe, WV will be opening in a few weeks and I'll be in snowboard bum mode for 3-4 months. Then a quick month of April and I'll be testing my grit and putting rubber to the road!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Cold is moving in and our resort we snowboard every weekend is open for the season! So not much good weather or time to get in the saddle. Still whittling on my shrinking ToDo list while I'm off the bike. Currently working through my route getting an idea of fueling and break spots. I'm aiming to find some cool road side style attractions to put on my route for some daily fun. Almost 2017 and I'm getting excited about checking some of these last things off the list!

Earlier this week I got my cheapo spare keys cut. These are a bit longer than I was hoping, but since they are mainly just for spares I don't mind. Is 3 spares overkill? Never.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts