Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
JohnneG said:
Well, clutch still not right! Now it activates to late!!! ??????????HELP
From your description above; it sounds like you're experiencing the range of difference that can be achieved at the lever end. This takes tweaking a little to find the right spot to fine tune the total cable length that is actuated.

Secondly, you must lock in the position you choose carefully, so you actually get the change you're seeking. I use a standard blade screwdriver in the nuts notch to gently lock it in place.

If that ain't enough, you need to go through the whole procedure to make sure you start with full engagement and full release of the clutch plates.

And yes, it's best to do this in a spot where you can tell if the springs or a pillion or something else falls off during the process.

Technique Tip: In doing mods on computers beginning years ago, I got in the habit of taking a snapshot of the work zone so I can look back later to see the exact position of little things I wasn't focusing directly on during the work, in case a do-hickey turns up on the floor. That way if I think later that a lever setting or other device needs checking, I can just review the photo.

Glad to see that some of ya'll have saved a buck setting your clutch to suit your taste and learned something about your bike at the same time!

IronMan

·
Registered
644 Posts
I followed all the steps very carefully and even tried a few variables and couldnt seem to minipulate the clutch to my taste. I want the clutch to engage similar to a sport clutch (more what I'm used to) in the sense in I want it to engage right after I let the lever out. It should catch right away, not when the lever is almost all the way open. It's frustrating me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Try, try again

JohnneG said:
I followed all the steps very carefully and even tried a few variables and couldnt seem to minipulate the clutch to my taste. I want the clutch to engage similar to a sport clutch (more what I'm used to) in the sense in I want it to engage right after I let the lever out. It should catch right away, not when the lever is almost all the way open. It's frustrating me.
You may have already done this, but try working on the lever end first. Taking the adjuster almost all the way to the end of the threads nearest the lever edge, then doing the lower adjustments afterward should let you fine tune it at the lever for the release you're looking for.

Sorry I can't be there to lend a hand. It's tough to offer virtual advice on fine tuning. Sometimes it's something simple that is slightly different on your bike, sometimes we're just overlooking something. It sounds like you've tried to be thorough.

If you don't get it set just right, try taking it to the next wrench party near to see if another set of eyes can spot something that will help. Determination helps a lot.

Good Luck,

IronMan

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
Re: Try, try again

IronMan said:
...Sorry I can't be there to lend a hand...
I'll give you a chance to feel better by helping me do mine this weekend! Tommy and me was talking about doing some tinkering. (what you doing up so late?! hope all is okay!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
So THAT is what my clutch is supposed to feel like! I am sorry to hear that JohnneG is not able to get his where he wants it to be. As for me, following those instructions, the clutch is perfect for me and feels much more comfortable riding. I have had my 2005 C50 for a year now (bought used from the original owner) and rode about 2,000 Miles on her. It really is amazing how different she feels.

I think my clutch used to be more like the way JohnneG wants his, but I don't like the feel of the bike riding forward when you start her; that is a little too much clutch for me. Also makes it so movements in low gear/speed feel awkward because the clutch is too grabby when you let off the clutch even a little bit, IMHO.

Thanks again for posting this, Ironman. I would much rather work on my bike and have the experience and ownership in it than to take it to a shop and pay someone else.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Late reply

I adjusted the clutch & it took the freeplay out, also feels a lot better but now the clutch catches real high, I read through the other posts here but I can't figure out how to fix this. Can someone tell me please what to do to fix this? Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
My clutch cable broke yesterday...

After some search on this site I found this post...

Never changed a clutch cable before but this post convinced me I could do it my-self.... now just waiting the new cable to come ...the dealer is telling me he should have it Friday afternoon... he better be... because I have 2 days of riding already planned for the week-end

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Goper said:
My clutch cable broke yesterday...

After some search on this site I found this post...

Never changed a clutch cable before but this post convinced me I could do it my-self.... now just waiting the new cable to come ...the dealer is telling me he should have it Friday afternoon... he better be... because I have 2 days of riding already planned for the week-end
Man plans.......God laughs......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Writing to say thanks for this post. While riding today with two friends,
I released the clutch lever after shifting and it didn't return.

I got the bike stopped safely and my friends swung back around to help.
I thought for sure the cable was broke, it wasn't.

Decided to try adjusting cable with tools in kit. Adjusted cable as far
as possible at engine end and clutch lever started returning to normal.

Rode carefully to friend's house and took clutch cover off. The jam nut
on the slotted end adjustment screw had backed off. I knew right where
to go for advise. "Search: clutch adjustment." Perfect.

Performed it step by step and though the 'clutch zone' feels different now,
the bike just got me home safe and sound. I'll tinker tomorrow and get it
right.

SO, a big thank you for saving me a big bill if I'd taken it to the dealer.

I'm a new rider, first bike, with less than 2K miles.

I'm thinking about either double nutting the jam nut or using some Loctite.

·
Registered
436 Posts
First of all, great post. I have only had my bike for 5 months and I've learned so many things from the great folks who post here. Would it be possible to start posting video "how-to's" on threads like this? I think that would help alot of newbies like myself who are not familiar with the inner workings of their bikes yet but wish to start doing it themselves. Sometimes the manuals and pictures assume we know what everything is and where it's located. I know it takes time to set up a camera and such but I think it would be extreamly helpful to alot of people. Just a though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks for posting this. I have been experiancing a bit of clutch slippage under hard exceleration. Doing the adjustments per the manual that came with the bike was no help.
Followed your instructions for the thrid adjustment [In 4 turns plus] and it was good to go. Took a bit of getting used to at the new position and then tried a hard exceleration. No slippage! Instead the front wheel lifted off the road about 4-5 inches and away I went! Wahoo!

Do not really WANT to do that again.
Againb, thanks for the great instruction!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question that has already been answered but I didn't see it and just want to make sure. When adjusting the clutch is the front wheel supposed to be turned straight or to the left?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
unless you really stretched the cable taught like w/ huge apes, no
Did mine w/ the bike in the normal parked way in my driveway.

·
Registered
778 Posts
jason1gp said:
This may seem like a stupid question that has already been answered but I didn't see it and just want to make sure. When adjusting the clutch is the front wheel supposed to be turned straight or to the left?
I can only answer for me. I straightened the wheel for improved access. The bike sits up straighter with the wheel straight. Old knees do not like the concrete floor of the garage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definately a good post! I finally got around to pulling off the cover, and after doing a good cleanup, did a full clutch adjustment. Now things feel a lot better, and now with all the crud cleaned up on the cables, lever, and clutch assy, I too can sleep again! LOL!

It took a little while to get everything off, and back on this first time, but if I have to do it again, I'll be much quicker.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts