Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: slight engagement

[quote="IronMan The only time you can rev up the engine like that without clutch wear is in neutral.[/quote]

Just a point about this (more of a statement). When I had my bike suspended on the jack stand a few years ago for a valve adjustment, when I started it and ran it in neutral, the rear tire turned ever so slightly, but with the clutch pulled in, the tire did not move at all, even when in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Just saying that my experience with my VOL is opposite of the stated.

Odd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks

Wanted to say thanks for the quick tutorial.
Took longer to get that back chrome panel off than to do the entire adjustement. I need a longer 4mm allen wrench.

Mah baby (2004) shifts like new.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Re: slight engagement

Bullfrog said:
[quote="IronMan The only time you can rev up the engine like that without clutch wear is in neutral.

Just a point about this (more of a statement). When I had my bike suspended on the jack stand a few years ago for a valve adjustment, when I started it and ran it in neutral, the rear tire turned ever so slightly, but with the clutch pulled in, the tire did not move at all, even when in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Just saying that my experience with my VOL is opposite of the stated.

Odd.[/quote]

Ah, Your clutch is in backwards. J/K I have the same thoughts on that issue. I would tend to think that if my bike lurched a foot when I put it in gear, something else is wrong. Now you should be able to "feel" the bike go into gear but, lurch?, I think that is far fetched. I performed the clutch adjusment per ironmans instructions "great tutorial" thanks , but I found that everything was already in spec. and I suspect that would be the condition of my valves. It is easy however to check once in awhile.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great info Dean

Speaking of clutches, I bought my wife an S40 Boulevard a couple of months ago and noticed how hard her clutch is to pull in. Is this normal for some clutches or should they all be as easy as my C50? IF this isn't normal
will this adjustment correct it?
Thanks for any info!
Ken

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Great info Dean

talleyke said:
Speaking of clutches, I bought my wife an S40 Boulevard a couple of months ago and noticed how hard her clutch is to pull in. Is this normal for some clutches or should they all be as easy as my C50? IF this isn't normal
will this adjustment correct it?
Thanks for any info!
Ken
Not sure about the S40, but my wife has a S50 and her clutch works
as easy as my C50T

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
For anyone still watching this thread,

Please do not click on this link to take you to a full copy of the Pink service manual. It is for my use only.

Even though it is up on the web, I am the only one able to use it.....

http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Jayce/Pink.html

Definetly do not bookmark it for the future to reference as you wish.

As Always,

HH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could anyone tell me how to further adjust the engagement location?
I want the clutch to start engaging ~1/3 of the way off of the grip not 2/3-3/4.
After doing the full adjustment it engages so far out that I don't like it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I asked my dealer about replacing my clutch after 37,000 miles and they told me two things.

The first thing was that it would be about $100 parts and $50 labor.

The second thing they told me was that with just 37,000 miles that if I wasn't doing a lot of drag racing starts and I wasn't using Energy Conserving oil if the clutch seems to be slipping slightly at high revs that it probably just needed to be adjusted. So I got off my butt, removed the bottom cover and did the adjustment per the service manual and now I can't make it even seem to slip slightly. I cancelled my clutch parts order.

It's nice to have a good dealer!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Late reply

KevinS said:
Could anyone tell me how to further adjust the engagement location?
I want the clutch to start engaging ~1/3 of the way off of the grip not 2/3-3/4.
After doing the full adjustment it engages so far out that I don't like it.
Thanks!
Hey Kevin,

Sorry that I just saw your post, I've been busy studying physics lately while working on a couple of projects.

The adjustment you're looking for is to be found by making sure that the lower adjustments are right, then working with the lever adjustment until you get the engagement travel right. The primary [lowest adjustment right at the clutch] can fine tune the engagement as well, if you think you've gotten all you can from the lever adjustment.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Dastardly deed indeed

HeadHunter said:
Hey I revamped it today.

http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Pink.html

Looks better and prints better.
Hey HeadHunter,

What a dastardly deed, depriving me of the joy of scanning, cleaning up images, making .pdf files with a .pdf maker I don't have and then saving me bandwidth on the small site I have to host things...THANKS a million for contributing to the reference efforts.

To others seeking reference and help:

Many of our newer members are also newer at working on bikes, so they will probably still want the expanded procedures and tips that some of us offer. I'm willing to help where I can and I know there are others that will as well.

Thanks again to TG; who gave me his copy of the Pink Book after he sold his Skunk, HeadHunter and all those who contribute to this kind of effort!

IronMan

·
Registered
340 Posts
Clutch Adjustment

I've got almost 20.000 on my c50 and got to noticeing a clunk between shifts. i tryed getting my throttle with my clutch and still a clunk. Just got back from my garage and tryed the clutch adjustment that was mentioned. Tryed my bike out after the adjustment and its smooth as silk now. No clunking and shifts great------thanks for this info that i never would have known.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
To bad it is just for YOUR use and one can't right click on the chapters and 'save target as' to one's computer for future use. 8)

HeadHunter said:
For anyone still watching this thread,

Please do not click on this link to take you to a full copy of the Pink service manual. It is for my use only.

Even though it is up on the web, I am the only one able to use it.....

http://www.jaycepatterson.com/Jayce/Pink.html

Definetly do not bookmark it for the future to reference as you wish.

As Always,

HH

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for the post. Marking for future reference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have but one question. When the directions say to slowly screw the adjuster screw in till you feel resistance, are they refering to the point when the arm connected to the cable begins to move? There is a small amount of resistance at that point. Or do I keep going in before I back off a quarter turn? I tried the first techique I described today, made a big difference! P.S. Are there any springs in that assembly anywhere? Found one on the floor in the vacinity of where I was working.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts