Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for a carburetor teardown & cleaning on my ’02 Bandit 1200, when I removed the fuel tank, the petcock continued to dribble. Obviously, the 19 year-old vacuum diaphragm failed and the petcock assembly will be need to be replaced.

Despite not needing an oil change, I was concerned about there being gas in the oil, so I drained it. The crankcase was full of gas. I drained about 2 gallons of oily gas from the engine.

Since all the engine internals got washed down with gas (and there’s no telling how long it was in the crankcase as the bike was winter prepped and parked last October), is there a risk of damage on the next start up?

I have some Marvel Mystery Oil and am thinking of squirting some in each cylinder. Another thought is to disconnect the coils and, after refilling with motor oil, turn over the engine for a bit to try and pump some fresh oil through the engine. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
So long as you didn't run the engine with the slurry mix, there should be no harm. Drain and refill as needed. If you feel the need to "flush" it out, pull the sparkplugs add some diesel to the crankcase and upper cylinder, crank the engine for about 30 seconds, then let it sit. Drain the engine completely (leave it to drip overnight) and fill with fresh oil.

In addition to the faulty petcock, I would think your floats in the carb would need adjusted as well as the needle valve.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confident the floats were/are adjusted properly; and the needle valve tips looked ok, but the O-rings on the valve seats need replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts