Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to this site, (new to volusia's )

okay so i bought an 04 volusia last year around summer time. all it had were V&H straight pipes (loud as shit!) bike ran great, except for i had to pull the choke out on start up even if it was 90 degrees outside. then it sat for awhile and i decided to do a carb clean. cleaned the carbs no problem there (they were pretty dirty) and put everything back the way i found it. thats when the problems started. now it idles no problem and start up without pulling out the choke. but theres black smoke popping out at idle and a black cloud when i twist the throttle. and on top of that it idles higher than normal after i twist the throttle for about 2 seconds then goes back to normal.

Now going to all these forums and doing research ill say this. the pilot jet is a 27.5 and the main jet is a 130. it has a dynojet needle in it at 3rd notch. ive adjusted the A/F screw from 3.5 turns all the way down to 2 turns (same problem) and cleaned the plugs with a wire brush after every adjustment (still getting carbon on them). the choke cable will only go out to the second notch now for some reason( i made sure the L shaped metal tube was fully inserted into carb). and when i got the bike there was no vacuum line going from the tank to the pair valve. and the plug that goes on the bottom of the air box was cut at the bottom of it, so it basically did nothing. i put a new vacuum hose connecting to the pair valve and put a new plug on the bottom of the air box.

I am in dire need of help here guys, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Possible that your float is set incorrectly? It’s a pain on this carb but if you set it too high you can run rich just like if you used bigger jets. Related to this, I’d your float valve needle is not working right the float won’t be set and it’ll just keep filling the bowl until you end up running rich. This also has the added benefit of potentially setting your bike on fire so make sure to check it.

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
Black smoke and carbon fouled plugs are the result of an over-rich condition. Either your jets are too large, the needle valve is shimmed too high or your float is out of adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts