Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am writing this thread after months of hard work, troubleshooting, problem solving, sleepless nights, long frustrating stare sessions, and much trial error.

I purchased a 2008 C50T back in 2010 with 2500 miles on it. Clean bike without a single issue... until I got my hands on it. A couple months after the purchase a buddy put the idea in my head to cut out the baffles. Louder sound? More power? Heck ya! Problem #1: adjusting air flow without adjusting fuel is bad. maybe not right away but down the line it WILL cause problems. After 3 years and 40k miles, the engine developed some unpleasant sounds and poor performance. This summer when I tore the engine apart I discovered that I had burnt up my pistons. The lean air/fuel mixture burned hotter than the pistons could take for that long. After doing research, I decided to solve future issues by purchasing a 2-1 exhaust system, hypercharger intake, and a PowerCommander III.

Since my pistons were shot, I had to replace those. Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg at the dealership, I did all my purchases online. Not a bad idea if you're looking for some great deals, but make sure you know exactly what it is you're buying. I purchased a couple piston kits from suzukipartshouse.com. Brand new pistons and rings, a great buy... except they were oversized pistons and not stock like they had them listed. I did not find this out until I tried to install them and cracked my cylinder. Luckily I found a used cylinder in good condition for $30. After getting them bored out, the engine went back together relatively easily.

Problem #3 occurred after the rebuild when the rear cylinder wouldn't run on start up. We double checked the timing, sensors, fuel flow, injectors, spark, everything. We determined that the spark was a little weak and after replacing the plugs and the spark coil on the rear cylinder, it still wouldn't run. We tried adjusting the fuel map on the PC, resetting it to stock, you name it. Nothing. Now mind you, even with all the riding I've done on this bike, I have worked hard to keep sensors clean, regular oil changes, all the required maintenance and some. Here at the end of the project, the problem has shown itself to be the ECM. Bad. Last winter I had the battery freeze while I was out of town for a few days. When I got back, I had to repeatedly jump start the bike until I could get a new battery. Don't jump start the bikes. The voltage spikes when you do that fry the ECM.

I will have a new ECM coming sometime in the near future and my baby will finally be back, as an almost brand new bike. The moral to this story is, don't do anything to your bike's heart without thinking about future repercussions and doing some very thorough research.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Sounds like most of your problems were self inflicted. I have that tendency too. But I swear this bike is staying 100% stock until I sell it!

Reactions: outbackzack

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
I would have put it out to pasture and gotten something else. You must have the patience of Job.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I too have a 2008 but with 13k and Cobra Drag Pipes. I still have the stock air filter in place and haven't de-paired. Could I be looking at a similar issue down the road? Power Commander the top choice or are there others I.e., Cobra FI tuner?

I love my bike can't see getting rid of it, just would keep it in the family for my wife or boys for sure, so wanna keep it in good shape and enjoy it for many many miles to come!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, a lot people on here that say the engines are junk by 40k anyway.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've got almost 58,000 km on my 09. It is running ok. not the quietest engine. once it is warmed up the pistons are round and don't rattle much.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have had so many issues. I have considered drilling out the exhaust plate on my Volusia but hearing things like this have stopped me so far. Hoping you have finally reached a "happy place" with your c50.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Simply debaffling your pipes did not cause the engine problems. If you added a low restriction air intake, maybe, but changing the exhaust without doing anything to increase airflow into the motor will not lean it out. The stock headpipes are small, and more restrictive than aftermarket pipes. I suspect you may have been having some ECU problems for a while, and discovered it after the other issues came up.
Good luck in getting it back together and running again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.