Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
52,639 Posts
Are You referring to the chromed plastic axle cover?

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Don't know about anyone else but I replaced the tube and rim strip.
But then my tires were more than 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Nice licence plate, "Dad"!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I ordered tube on line and dont know if the valve stem on it had a 90 degree,I read that they should be 90 degree , is this a must, or just for convenience?

·
Registered
212 Posts
just convenience, but it really helps get to it. Usually the descriptions will say 90 degree stem, or something like PVR-78 if my memory is working properly today...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Your instruction on how to remove rear wheel are bit different than I do. I bought Vol 3 years ago and it had bald tires. I decide to remove both wheels. I do red neck way of using car jack and asked my son to steady the bike until I slide home made wooden motorcycle stand and placed it where frames sits on it. Lowered the jack and leave it there. Before jacking up the motorcycle, I just simply loosened Axle nut prior because the gap between two muffler was easy to do with long spanner and 22mm socket. Then after removing nut, I jack up the motorcycle and slid stand underneath. It seem stable enough to work on it.

I didn't bother remove rear brake rod, upper muffler, and side covers. I just simply removed seat, unplug wire jack and removed 3 bolts off each fender support frames. Then lift fender off along with fender support frame still bolted to sides of fenders and put it someplace safe. Then I remove peg off rear brake rod connecting brake lever. Then I wiggled axle rod off. I removed spacer and popped off brake drum then wiggle wheel out of spline and pull up to remove. I had no problem with it.

here's pix below

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
LOLZ!! Why everybody remove the f***ing muffler?!?!!?

How do you break a bead on the road? TIRE SPOONS!!!! I carry three in my saddle bag at all times along with sockets, screwdriver with bits, a ratchet, open end and allen wrenches ,a bar of soap, water, and spare plugs, fuses, flashlight, wd40 and oil.

Why you carry a bar of soap Mr. D.? I'll tell you billy, soap is just the thing for getting a tire off. A little soap, a little water and things get slippery as snot.

But seriously all one need do to get the rim out is 1. get the bike's ***** up in the air,
2. unbolt the brake rod and arm
3. pry off the drive side dust cap
4. remove the cotter pin from the nut, remove the nut
5. tap the axle out making sure not to lose the brake side spacer or the washer that lives behind the nut.
pull the wheel free of the drive splines.

Unless you have stretched bags or 1 exhaust on each side at just the wrong height there is no good reason to remove any more than the parts listed above.

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOLZ!! Why everybody remove the f***ing muffler?!?!!?
Not me, I'm the exception. Check my posting with pix above your posting. You'll see both mufflers still in place when I removed rear wheel.

Get the bike up in the air... One thing we all have to be careful with antifreeze reservoir located under the bike which have tube coming out from bottom (bad design) and if anything hit tubing that attaches under reservoir, It'll break off plastic tubing. I broke mine and I had to repair it. So far it's holding well with modified plastic tube and really strong plastic glue. Every time I lift my bike, I have to position stand where it won't touch that sucker!!

#3.. Pry off Drive side dust cover.... What Dust cover!? I don't need em, I just literally threw it away. Cuz it looks nice without it.. :biglaugh:

I would do your way if I ever get flat in middle of the trip.

Deafvl800rider

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Not me, I'm the exception. Check my posting with pix above your posting. You'll see both mufflers still in place when I removed rear wheel.

Get the bike up in the air... One thing we all have to be careful with antifreeze reservoir located under the bike which have tube coming out from bottom (bad design) and if anything hit tubing that attaches under reservoir, It'll break off plastic tubing. I broke mine and I had to repair it. So far it's holding well with modified plastic tube and really strong plastic glue. Every time I lift my bike, I have to position stand where it won't touch that sucker!!

#3.. Pry off Drive side dust cover.... What Dust cover!? I don't need em, I just literally threw it away. Cuz it looks nice without it.. :biglaugh:

I would do your way if I ever get flat in middle of the trip.

Deafvl800rider
:biglaugh: Was Bear! said to remove the muffler! And I stand by my question.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Something that may be helpful for breaking the bead. (I saw a video and tried). Take a square edged shovel, place it about an inch out from the rim, angle the shovel end vertical and sharply pounce on it. (Remove the valve core first). I broke the bead on the rear tire on the first shot, front tire, third shot. My buddies were laughing at me until it worked!( A few drinks were involved )

·
Registered
686 Posts
I managed to break the bead by accident. I got a flat, had to "ride" it a couple miles, so took it real slow. It wasn't bad, running with turn signal on, about 10 mph. Nearly home I got a little cocky and took a corner at maybe 2 mph. The bead broke, and from that point it was very difficult to go forward. Hit gas, go 2 feet sideways & 2 feet forwards with feet out as out-riggers. Repeat... Yeah, the bead was completely broke. I did not reuse the badly worn rear tire, but if it were a simple puncture, I'd try the bead breaking that way, turning the handlebar whichever way helped break the bead the way I needed it. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great Thread!

Great thread that was very helpful in changing a rear tire. Not as easy as some bikes but not bad. Good time to clean things up and lube.
I put a Kenda Kruz on mine becuase I don't want to do it very often.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice write up on changing a flat tire. I have a bead breaker that will fit in my side bag. It's pretty small, and you use a wrench to tighten it, and it pops the bead without any real force. It has 2 jaws, and clamps down on both sides, and works wonders.
I will post a pic as soon as I find a pic of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOLZ!!

How do you break a bead on the road?
ah, carry a" c "clamp large enough. to fit the rear tire, will fit in saddle bag easy.works like a charm,just bought one at northern tools, for 10 bucks. did both of mine that way yesterday, I recently got a bike jack at same place, for 100 bucks on sale ,so was able to get bike in air enough, to get rear wheel out from under the rear fender,damn boat tail ha.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts