Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 40th anniversary Volusia and on Sunday I had a flat rear tire. I contacted a mechanic today who recommended that I put a tube in the tire (Its an IRC brand tire). I'm not really in a position to buy a new tire if I can help it.
My question is, would anyone advise against going with the tube instead of replacing the tire if the tire has plenty of tread left on it? If so, why?

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Absolutely replace the tube! As for the tire, Suzuki recommends against tire repairs due to liability. On the other hand, Honda has no problem with tire repairs under certain circumstances. It would depend on how large the puncture is and where on the casing it is. Also remember, a repaired tire is not rated for high speeds.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Personally, I haven't repaired a punctured tire in years.. and I don't think I would anymore because of the safety thing. Like EKS said, a punctured tire is no longer rated for speed (or full load tolerance).. I wouldn't take the chance. If that tire blows and you go down.. it's gonna cost ya a whole lot more than the tire would have.

I know what you are saying about cash being tight, been there... but you can get a brand new tire, rim, tube, etc.. fully mounted and blanced for under $200 (Maybe for around $150 if you get the bid) delivered to your door.... Then ya just have to pull off the old rim and toss on the new one. (Plus you don't have to clean the spokes on your old rim! LOL)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=suzuki+c50+tire&category0=

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
you can also post in our swap meet and see if a member has put on new tires like white walls and has a usable tire hanging around.

·
Registered
959 Posts
flat tire

Defintly replace the tube. I wouldnt mess with a new tire unless it was a hole in the sidewall or a big hole in the tread area

·
Registered
884 Posts
I would never throw out a good tire because of a flat ,unless the obvious but heck replacing tube and tire and way over board ,IMO ....lets ride :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've had 2 flats in a rear tire. They were both nail punctures. Both times I replaced the tube. No problems. If it were a larger hole in the tire, I'd replace the tire.

Ride Safe
Wayne :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts