Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
FX4 said:
Damn this trip, I haven't been able to get my mind back on work all week. I keep wondering of into daydream land thinking about what a great time I had. Rick you have put me weeks behind!
I hate to tell you it does not get better with time. I did this trip last September in a motorhome, not even a bike, and still daydream about it and am still trying to figure a way to get back there.

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
Great writeup and pictures. Makes me want to go back and ride those roads again. Lillie and I had the pleasure to meet and ride with Mark at this springs RNR and he's a great guy. He led us to the dragon and was waiting when we got to the end. He probably had time to have lunch and a couple cups of coffee by the time we got there LOL. He's a great guide and knows the area like the back of his hand. Were looking forward to riding with him again next time we get down there.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Big Pete said:
Great writeup and pictures. Makes me want to go back and ride those roads again. Lillie and I had the pleasure to meet and ride with Mark at this springs RNR and he's a great guy. He led us to the dragon and was waiting when we got to the end. He probably had time to have lunch and a couple cups of coffee by the time we got there LOL. He's a great guide and knows the area like the back of his hand. Were looking forward to riding with him again next time we get down there.
LOL...I think he and I both suffer from the speed and adrenaline rush thing. I have always loved going fast so his riding style suited me well. Its not for everybody but I had a real good time. We all had a real good time. It was just fantastic...I'm still on cloud nine. The thing about Mark is he will adjust to who he is riding with and just wants to show people a good time and ride. A great guy!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
FX4 said:
Damn this trip, I haven't been able to get my mind back on work all week. I keep wondering of into daydream land thinking about what a great time I had. Rick you have put me weeks behind!

So Sorry.......

You know, there is really only ONE way to get this trip out of your mind....... And I think you know what that is............. Already got mine fueled up and ready to go! :wink:

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
CyBeRDiVeR said:
FX4 said:

So Sorry.......

You know, there is really only ONE way to get this trip out of your mind....... And I think you know what that is............. Already got mine fueled up and ready to go! :wink:
Man I would so love to go again but staying married is ever so slightly higher on my priority list :lol: Had I great time Rick....I'm already loosely planning our California trip. I really don't think I can top this but I'm sure going to try!

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
fletch24990 said:
FX4 said:
I hate to tell you it does not get better with time. I did this trip last September in a motorhome, not even a bike, and still daydream about it and am still trying to figure a way to get back there.
It was a trip I really expected to have a good time and it turned into a trip of a lifetime. Absolutely in my top ten vacations. Rick planned the entire thing, I just showed up. So I really have to give him credit for everything going so well. I couldn't help but notice I'm smiling ear to ear in just about every picture other than when I have my mouth full.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Glori said:
What a great time I had meeting these four... can't wait until y'all are back in the area again. Ron, next time I'll try to provide something more substantial than just sweets for ya.. poor baby was skin and bones.
They starved me almost to death - really. I have never done anything with guys who like to eat so little. I may have put five pounds on Rick at Bike Week but I lost seven or eight pounds last week!

Thank you again Glori for the goodies :D

·
Administrator
52,355 Posts
Glori said:
What a great time I had meeting these four... can't wait until y'all are back in the area again. Ron, next time I'll try to provide something more substantial than just sweets for ya.. poor baby was skin and bones.
Glori, Thanks for taking good care of My riding pals. Don't spoil them too much, though!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Wow..... Great stories, great pix, great people, great scenery, WOW!!!!

I wish I had gone on that one! But I had put in for vac time in Oct, just before I heard you all were headed for NC. Darn it.

But I'm glad you all made it home safe and had a good time.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Day five: We better make that day five and day six – The long ride home.

I listened the National Weather Service on our ride home last night and it sounds like we are going to ride through the remains of a hurricane if we don’t get an early start.
Wake up call arrives at 5:30 and I don’t think I actually get out of bed until 6:00. I’m starting to feel a bit tired. Rick gets up and is not too happy about leaving or the ride home. He keeps talking about the long boring straight ride.

Well as we are about to find out the trip home is going to be anything but boring! We get on the road at around 7:30 AM and it is already raining. As we are about twenty miles into the ride I notice that George is missing and I speed up to catch Rick and let him know we have lost George. I think we are both a little worried he went down because the roads are wet and slick. We turn around and find him about three miles back on the side of the road. Thankfully, he didn’t go down. We pull over to find out he has a flat. Rick and I are both prepared for such an event. I have fix flat for motorcycles and Rick has C02 cartridges to fill a tire. We attempt to fix the flat while George works on a tow truck with H.O.G.. Wouldn’t you know it, he has some kind of non-standard valve stem that won’t take the fix-flat or C02 cartridges. All three of us give a try at filling the tire and the things just won’t seal. Meanwhile George is talking with a seriously impaired call center worker. She can’t figure out where we are at for almost an hour. Once we get our location nailed down she can’t find a dealer near our location. To our good fortune, a local guy pulls over on his bike and gives us the much needed information. HOG says it will be ninety minutes before a tow truck can get to us. Ninety minutes turns into two hours of standing in the rain.

Rick’s Frog Toggs have torn in the crotch which is going to turn into a real problem later.

George has his bike towed to Ghost Town Harley Davidson. What a mistake that was! Rick and I make the very wet twenty mile or so ride over to Ghost Town HD. We get out of our wet gear and wait, and wait, and wait for what is supposed to take one hour. At one PM one of us suggests going to get lunch. Rick pawns off George riding bitch on my bike because he has everything including the kitchen sink on his bike. We are going to have to discuss traveling light on our California trip! We eat lunch and Rick is enjoying razing me about my male riding companion who won’t stop whispering in my ear (just kidding about that part). We finish lunch and head back over to Ghost Town HD only to find they have not started on George’s bike. I’m getting pretty pissed at this point and making my feelings known. George goes back and sits on the mechanic hoping to move things along. This works and an hour later his bike is finished at a whopping charge of $300.00 to change the tire. What a rip-off.

At 3:00 PM we are back on the road and it is pouring. Within the first twenty miles we see two cars off the road. After three hours of dodging wrecked vehicles and riding in the rain we pull over for a break and coffee. Rick is getting pretty soaked and at this point is quite cold. Even the top half of his Frog Toggs have failed. I ask how far we have gone. Rick looks at me and says “Don’t ask, you don’t want to know”. I said, “Really how far”. He responds, “75 miles”. We have now been on the road almost eleven hours and are about 95 miles from the start of our trip. It is going to be a long ride home. Fortunately I have been listening to the weather band and I know we are going to be out of the worst of it soon.

We ride on hitting an occasional band of rain but nothing too serious while dodging more wrecked cars and emergency crews along our route home. At around nine PM we stop for dinner in Madison Georgia. Rick is completely soaked and miserable. Fortunately, the rain has all but stopped. He gets into a dry set of clothes, well damp really because his luggage has let water seep in. The Italian bistro we chose for dinner is really warm inside. We are all happy about how warm the place is. I find that not only has my camera filled with water but so has my cell phone. The seams in my rain suit have started leaking but nothing too serious, I am just damp here and there. We enjoy dinner and then head on after about an hour. George has a spare rain suit and loans it to Rick.

At about twelve thirty AM we pull over for gas and George is feeling really tired at this point. I suggest a Red Bull. We finish gassing up and I put my rain suit away. Rick says there is no way he is taking his off now. I can’t blame him, he had a couple hundred miserable miles. I loan him a set of dry gloves.

We get on the road and maybe thirty miles go by and I see George zooming past. I laugh because I think the Red Bull has kicked in. No such luck, he pulls us over and says he has had enough and is going to get a hotel room. I tell Rick to feel free to stay with George if he wants. I’m going to head on home. Rick says he wants to get home himself. We say our goodbyes to George and I thank him for such a great time.

We get back on the road and my bike starts swaying back and forth really hard. I think I have a flat so I pull over and check the tires. The tires seem to be fine. I get going again and the bike starts swaying hard again so I pull off at the next stop to inspect the bike. Rick says his bike is doing the same thing so the problem appears to be the road surface. We keep it down to sixty for quite a few miles because that seems to be the golden speed to stop the bikes from swaying.

Now Rick and I are really tired by this point and are stopping every hour to hour and a half for coffee and to stretch our legs. At three thirty A.M we roll across the Florida state line. Great I only have about three hundred and eighty miles to go! Or I’m just over half way home! Just before sunup I’m really feeling tired and suggest we pull over at a rest stop and nap.

The Sun is starting to rise and we are still riding:

I think I will shake the tired spell after sunrise but no such luck. Rick and I pull over at a rest stop and each grab a picnic bench. I think I have no more than closed my eyes and Rick is waking me up. Wow, I cannot believe almost an hour has gone by. We get back on the road and arrive at Rick’s exit at just before ten in the morning. Rick shows me his own personal Dragon while stopping by the bank. It is probably the curviest five hundred feet in Florida. Anyhow, I gas up and thank Rick for such a great time.

Only a hundred miles to go! I set the cruise control on eighty five and arrive home at eleven thirty tired and in need of a shower. Well I never make the shower. I make one post on the VR and pass out for several hours. I pretty much failed to move from my chair for the rest of the weekend. And so ends a great trip!

2434 miles on the odometer for this trip

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Damn Ron....... you should have road around your block for an hour or so to make your goal of 2500!! So close, yet so far!

I managed 2200 for the trip!

·
Registered
102 Posts
fletch24990 said:
Where in Cherokee is Marks' shop, I spent a couple of weeks there last year and would love to go back. Heck if I could find a good paying job I'd move up there. Great reading, thanks.
Shamelees Plug, lol Eagles Nest Gift shop & Motel, right in downtown Cherokee. If anyone's riding in this area give a holler, I'm simi-retired and love to ride. Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ron, great write-up. From the looks of the pic you were about ten miles from my house when george had the flat, shoulda gave me a call. Sounds like the ride home sucked, but like I said before you guys sure wont forget this trip. I'm so glad to have met the 3 of you'll, and I also wont be forgetting this trip any time soon. Hopefully we can ride together again, here in the Meca, Fl. Pa. whereever.
Ok take care, can't wait to see Rick's new bike.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
CyBeRDiVeR said:
Damn Ron....... you should have road around your block for an hour or so to make your goal of 2500!! So close, yet so far!

I managed 2200 for the trip!
Oh I know, but man was I tired.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
mark5810 said:
Ron, great write-up. From the looks of the pic you were about ten miles from my house when george had the flat, shoulda gave me a call. Sounds like the ride home sucked, but like I said before you guys sure wont forget this trip. I'm so glad to have met the 3 of you'll, and I also wont be forgetting this trip any time soon. Hopefully we can ride together again, here in the Meca, Fl. Pa. whereever.
Ok take care, can't wait to see Rick's new bike.
Thanks for everything Mark. I look forward to riding with you again! Yes we should have called you it would have saved us a lot of headache.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Queen of the Hill said:
I really enjoyed reading that, Ron! The stories were great, as were the pictures. I'm glad you shared it with the rest of us! :D
Thanks Karen

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ron,
Great writeup and photos. I really enjoyed reading about it. And I'm glad you added names to the 1 photo. Since I don't know any of you, I kept trying to figure out who was who in the pics. It was good to be able to match names and faces. Thanks.
Charles.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts