Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I just wanted to report that I just did the "first service” 500 miles, on my new boulevard 800 c50 SE. drained the crankcase, and rear-end. While engine oil is draining I put the new gear oil in (typical) procedure. Now it is time to change the filter...... Got one of my many trusty oil wrenches. (I have soo.. many from so many different bikes and vehicles) Go to the front where that little devil is and attempt to remove the filter. Finally got the wrench on the filter after many contortions around every thing that is in the way I get the wrench on and handle has about 1/2" travel. Sigh.... Decide that the only way this thing is going to come off is with my trusty very long screwdriver and hammer. Punch a hole slip in the screwdriver and...... Nothing...I can't believe how tight this filter is on! More holes and much downward tapping. It moves exactly 1/2" :-( That's it, back to the shop for my large water pump pliers... :) I am sure armed with these sucker's that filter is HISTORY!!! Sigh...15 minutes later it has moved a whole 1'. I am not daunted and I know I will persevere...Ok it starting to get dark now, and I need to get this done. At last! I can spin it off by hand. Off it comes with so many holes in it from screwdriver there is no oil left in it. Now to install my new "KN" filter !!! The one with the little nut built in. (thank you KN..) :)
All is well. Took out my (new telescoping inspection mirror) and check the level. Perfect. Sure would be great to have a dipstick. I can't believe how tight the factory filter was on. Well I just needed to rant a little. No leaks and I am done till the next service. For they come very frequently as I always like to cut down on the time the scheduled maint. Requires. Costs me more but I like to do it more often and have clean oil and filters more often. Well that's all for now. Has anyone else experienced a factory filter over tightened? Ride safe all. little al.

·
Administrator
53,904 Posts
Should have adjusted the valves before changing the oil and filter. :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Say hello to Akio. He works on the Suzuki assembly line responsible for oil filters. Now you know.

Good hunting

Reactions: PopPop

·
Registered
257 Posts
Suzuki oil filters have a finer thread than most all other filters and require 2 full turns past the time when the gasket just touches the mating surface.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.