Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first ride with my new skid lid this morning. I thought at first, man my bike sounds funny. What is that pop what is that click? Is that exhaust I hear? Wow! Totally different than my full face. I can actually hear the bike noise and the wind. When I stopped at the gas station wearing my sunglasses I realized I had tears running back to my ears. I gotta get some goggles. Anyway, just wanted to share. I'm digging the lid!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Goggles are hard to find, the ol lady got her eyes checked and he gave her these giant "old lady shades" that are really large.. you've seen them.
Find a pair and try them.
On a biker, they don't look too far out of place.
Clarification: they don't actually make you look like a bluehair.

The side earpiece width blocks the air drafts and makes for a pretty good seal.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Got googs?

I bought a coupla pair, haven't been using um tho...
Been ducking behind a windshield.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Try Bobster goggles... I payed 39.95 and have three sets of lenses in a case.... Best investment

Ken

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
Goggles are hard to find??? :? :? They're EVERYWHERE!!! I can't stand them cause I look like a dork in them..but Jerry wears them. He says he doesn't care if he looks like a dork, he's keeping the wind out of his eyes! lol I prefer glasses with foam. Much less "Superfly" looking! :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Born2bWild said:
Goggles are hard to find??? :? :? They're EVERYWHERE!!! I can't stand them cause I look like a dork in them..but Jerry wears them. He says he doesn't care if he looks like a dork, he's keeping the wind out of his eyes! lol I prefer glasses with foam. Much less "Superfly" looking! :lol:
I like the classes with foam too. No because of the look but I just like the fit better.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Never liked wearing a helmet until I bought a half helmet when I got the Volusia. Now I don't go anywhere with out it. H/helmets are so comfortable I really don't feel like I'm wearing one. Sometimes the high speed (i.e. freeway) wind noise bothers me though. The other day I tried ear plugs. They help a lot . Funny thing is they made my debaffled pipes sound a lot better. Much deeper, throbbing tone! Now I'm planning on re-baffleing them because of it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I like the goggles! They dont have the air gaps that some glasses do, and they come with 3 different lenses, so you can switch between day riding and night riding lenses!

Also, EAR PLUGS! gotta get some ear plugs, you will be a happier rider for it!! trust me!!

I had custom ones made, but you can go to any walmart or Target and get a box of the good foam earplugs for $5-$7

·
Registered
590 Posts
RottManK9 said:
Born2bWild said:
I like the classes with foam too. No because of the look but I just like the fit better.
... yep ... got both ... goggles for the long rides and the "foam-lined shades" for short trips ...

... enjoy your ride and mix up your eyewear ... nothing like wind in your face (said the guy getting ready to mount a fairing on his bike) ... lol ...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Last Summer I was following a cement truck.
A chunk of something popped off the back of it, bounced up over the windscreen on me bike.

It was dried concrete and sharp because it hit me in the right cheek.
Cracked the lens on my safety glasses and cut me badly enough to where I had blood leaking into my hemlet and onto my shoulder....

Owwwwwwww boohoo boohoo fer me :oops:
Wish I'd been quick enough to dodge it...I seen it coming too...

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Eliminator googles plus face mask. The only way to ride in interboro traffic.

I am thinking to get this mask with filter from aerostich. For those muggy dusty days....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Be careful out there...

Yesterday while out riding the bikes the wife and I flew through a cloud of bees! We both have windshields and were doing around 65 MPH. We took hits on the knuckles and she took one to the arm. No stings, just bug goo on the gloves and jacket. However, my windshield had 11 hits on it, center of mass, all at the same time.

This time of year as it warms up I usually get the itch to pop my windshield off and get the wind in the face. My half-helmet lets it all in. I'm just glad it was a little cool yesterday because the bee cloud would have be "fun" without a windshield.

Edmo

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I wear the glasses with the foam on the inside of the lenses and a half helmet.This took care of that last bit of buffeting for me..

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered a couple of sets of the foam lined sunglasses off ebay. 1 clear and 1 tinted. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
or down the neck of your shirt. You won't believe how fast you'll be able to pull off the road from 65mph to stop and rip your shirt off. And I HAD a w/s attached.

...yes...i de-shirted on the side of the highway ....once. damn thing hit me in the neck, flew down the collar of my tshirt and ended up down my back. my shirt was tucked in, and everytime i tried to grab the thing THRU my shirt while slowing, it would STING me AGAIN!!!

S.O.B. THAT HURTS!!!!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
"De-shirted?"

Dat's a new one!

I don't enjoy road shrapnel much.
Hit something metallic the other day...clink ding, ding...
Hope it wasn't a part off my bike :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts