Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy boys and girls, greetings from Ontario Canada! I've been doing a ton of research through this site and I figured my first ride today on my 07 C50 warranted this post. I've been riding for a few years now and I always rode sport bikes or something along those lines, so the C50 was a real leap for me. Taking it out for the first time today was fantastic and I can't wait to get more hours in the saddle (slowly though due to a shoulder injury). I was surprised by how nimble the bike is considering its significantly heavier than anything I've ever rode before. For anyone curious, it's only got 6,200 kilometres on it and seems to have been well taken care of. Before the ride today it got some fresh oil and a filter, and up next is a good cleaning, a coolant flush, new tires, and checking and lubing the driveshaft. If anyone has any advice on how to get the driveshaft separated from the rear end I'm all ears. I've found a few bits and pieces on the forum here but if anyone has some first hand experience that would be great.

Here's to a good season for everyone. Rubber side down!

·
Super Moderator
25,237 Posts
welcome to the family,,,best of luck w/the new toy and don't wait on replacing those tires regardless of how good they look...it sat too long and 15 year old tires are an accident waiting to happen. Good luck, ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome to the family,,,best of luck w/the new toy and don't wait on replacing those tires regardless of how good they look...it sat too long and 15 year old tires are an accident waiting to happen. Good luck, ride safe and enjoy.
Agree on the tires, up until last week, had the stock, 2006 tires on my ride, looked good but did not want to chance it. Best $500 spent (so far this season).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Welcome to the family. That’s very low kilometres for a 2007. When I bought my 2006 2 years ago it only had 7110 kilometres on it. I have about 19,000 on it now.
Another thing you may want to consider changing is your front brake hose as well.
Where in Ontario are you? I’m also in Ontario.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)

Reactions: Cervus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the family. That’s very low kilometres for a 2007. When I bought my 2006 2 years ago it only had 7110 kilometres on it. I have about 19,000 on it now.
Another thing you may want to consider changing is your front brake hose as well.
Where in Ontario are you? I’m also in Ontario.
Ah, I'll look into the brake hose. Do you recommend just an OEM replacement or upgrade to a steel braided line? Also I'm in southern Ontario, GTA more specifically. How about yourself?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
+1 on the braided stainless steel hose. When I changed mine 2 years ago I could only the the OEM rubber (Covid supply issues) but the next one will be the stainless. I should probably look into getting that ordered soon…..
I live about 35-40 south east of London, a little town called Tillsonburg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 on the braided stainless steel hose. When I changed mine 2 years ago I could only the the OEM rubber (Covid supply issues) but the next one will be the stainless. I should probably look into getting that ordered soon…..
I live about 35-40 south east of London, a little town called Tillsonburg.
Ah yes, I know Tillsonburg, I used to date a girl out in Delhi so we were out that way occasionally ;). Did you have any brand in mind for the brake line? I found this site selling them but I've never had any experience dealing with them before. -Galfer Front Steel Braided Brake Line

·
Registered
58 Posts
Howdy boys and girls, greetings from Ontario Canada! I've been doing a ton of research through this site and I figured my first ride today on my 07 C50 warranted this post. I've been riding for a few years now and I always rode sport bikes or something along those lines, so the C50 was a real leap for me. Taking it out for the first time today was fantastic and I can't wait to get more hours in the saddle (slowly though due to a shoulder injury). I was surprised by how nimble the bike is considering its significantly heavier than anything I've ever rode before. For anyone curious, it's only got 6,200 kilometres on it and seems to have been well taken care of. Before the ride today it got some fresh oil and a filter, and up next is a good cleaning, a coolant flush, new tires, and checking and lubing the driveshaft. If anyone has any advice on how to get the driveshaft separated from the rear end I'm all ears. I've found a few bits and pieces on the forum here but if anyone has some first hand experience that would be great.

Here's to a good season for everyone. Rubber side down!

A couple things for you, due to a design flaw, NEVER EVER let the bike run while on the kick stand. It hampers the flow of oil to the right rear of the motor and will cause a premature wear/failure wearing of the oil pump chain.
These are only a 2 ring per piston motor. This is the reason most start using oil around the 30-45,000 mile mark.
Only use a Synthetic oil and I run Lucas one oil change, the exact amount of seafoam the next oil change. This not only provides a superior lube to moving parts, but a nice deep cleaning on the same parts.
If you ride 70 plus % on the highway do the C80 rear drive swap. It lowers the RPM on the Highways, especially the 75-80 MPH speeds. The down side? It drops the low end power during start/stop, and 2 person riding. You will need to put the bike on a stand and pull the rear tire then repack the drive shaft. Again I use synthetic grease.
I hope you find this useful.
Larry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple things for you, due to a design flaw, NEVER EVER let the bike run while on the kick stand. It hampers the flow of oil to the right rear of the motor and will cause a premature wear/failure wearing of the oil pump chain.
These are only a 2 ring per piston motor. This is the reason most start using oil around the 30-45,000 mile mark.
Only use a Synthetic oil and I run Lucas one oil change, the exact amount of seafoam the next oil change. This not only provides a superior lube to moving parts, but a nice deep cleaning on the same parts.
If you ride 70 plus % on the highway do the C80 rear drive swap. It lowers the RPM on the Highways, especially the 75-80 MPH speeds. The down side? It drops the low end power during start/stop, and 2 person riding. You will need to put the bike on a stand and pull the rear tire then repack the drive shaft. Again I use synthetic grease.
I hope you find this useful.
Larry
Thank you for the tips! I've never heard of the oil starvation thing before, how did you find out about it? I would definitely like to read some more about it. Also, I was thinking about the rear end swap since I'll likely be doing lots of two-up riding at around highway speeds 100km/hr (60ish mph). I've seen people suggest moly grease for the drive shaft, do you use the same? Thanks for your input

·
Super Moderator
25,237 Posts
I've heard folks talk of using seafoam in their oill changes...curious as to why...have done many an oil change in my 3 mc's I've owned, usually changing the oil every 2-2.5k...original 04 Volusia 87k miles, 05 c90, 65k...current c90 82k...and just use regular Castrol GTX...never any issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've heard folks talk of using seafoam in their oill changes...curious as to why...have done many an oil change in my 3 mc's I've owned, usually changing the oil every 2-2.5k...original 04 Volusia 87k miles, 05 c90, 65k...current c90 82k...and just use regular Castrol GTX...never any issues.
I've never been one to mess with oil, I like to think the engineers who formulated it have a better idea of what's going on than I do. However, gasoline additives to clean the upper end of the engine, you bet. Marvel mystery oil is the way to go in my opinion. I used Rotella T4 15W-40 for my recent oil change, bike seems to have no complaints. I agree with you, punctual maintenance is more helpful than additives.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts