Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in a ride today (upper 50's), did about 50 miles. Enough to warm up the bike and chill me off. :) Still have snow and ice in front of the shop doors but was very cautious and didn't have any problem. The only road hazard I ran across was two very large bull buffalo on the road in Wind Cave National Park. They were eying me as I crept by them. Slow and quiet.....

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Got in a ride today (upper 50's), did about 50 miles. Enough to warm up the bike and chill me off. :) Still have snow and ice in front of the shop doors but was very cautious and didn't have any problem. The only road hazard I ran across was two very large bull buffalo on the road in Wind Cave National Park. They were eying me as I crept by them. Slow and quiet.....
Slow and quiet, yes, don't upset them.:wayhappy:

Reactions: Duffy

·
Super Moderator
26,404 Posts
I've been so busy, I actually just got my first ride in for the year. It was mid to high 60's here, so there were lots of bikes out. No buffalo though.

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
That's wonderful, Duffy! Jealous, here. :)

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's wonderful, Duffy! Jealous, here. :)

Still pretty cold there Chris? We've had a mild winter for SD. I don't think we've had a foot of snow combined so far. Supposed to get cold this next week though. Hang in there spring will come.............

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
Still pretty cold there Chris? We've had a mild winter for SD. I don't think we've had a foot of snow combined so far. Supposed to get cold this next week though. Hang in there spring will come.............
The miserable cold has moved along, thankfully; it reached 50 degrees here today, hooray!

But my 600-foot-long driveway is still a slick of melting snow, refreezing ice, and mud. I couldn't get down it safely on the bike if I tried.

These days when it's sunny and above freezing just get the 'riding itch' going SO badly. <Sighhh>

Yet Spring will come, indeed. :)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Got some time on the bike today too. Had to watch out for sand on the road. Those buffalo can be surprisingly fast when they want to be.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wont ride under 70 degrees and at 70 I wear a jacket

Reactions: duglaura

·
Registered
152 Posts
It hit the upper 40's yesterday without raining.... so I got out for about 30 minutes. We both needed some fresh air :)

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wont ride under 70 degrees and at 70 I wear a jacket

When I was much younger I used to ride all year long (western WA.) cause the bike was my only transport. Rain, snow (not very often) and 30-40 degree weather during the winter. It wasn't riding for fun, just to get to and from work. This was before heated gear so I just wore a snow mobile suit. Old age makes one smarter (or more of a wimp).......

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Just came back from a week in AZ. Daytime temps were high 50's, low 60's. Saw tons of riders out and was sooooooo jealous. It was enough to make me look at used bike in AZ, so I have a bike out there to play with. (I know Mama won't be too thrilled with me buying another "toy" while there are new house expenses to consider).

·
Registered
661 Posts
When I was much younger I used to ride all year long (western WA.) cause the bike was my only transport. Rain, snow (not very often) and 30-40 degree weather during the winter. It wasn't riding for fun, just to get to and from work. This was before heated gear so I just wore a snow mobile suit. Old age makes one smarter (or more of a wimp).......

I would have to say wimp a few years back a bunch of guys came down for bike week and wanted me to join them for a ride .
they were wearing sleeveless wife beater tank tops I had on a light jacket it was 67 degrees well I caught a cold . and they were used to the -10 degree weather I guess and never even sniffled:biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just came back from a week in AZ. Daytime temps were high 50's, low 60's. Saw tons of riders out and was sooooooo jealous. It was enough to make me look at used bike in AZ, so I have a bike out there to play with. (I know Mama won't be too thrilled with me buying another "toy" while there are new house expenses to consider).

When I head south (in about a month or so) the bike will be in the back of the toy hauler. OK, TX, AZ, UT and then back home.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It's going to be a while before we are riding in these parts. It dipped down to -30 C (-22 F) last night, the coldest that we've seen this winter. We'll see a "balmy" -20 C (-4 F) for our high temp today. The cold weather is forecast to stick around for at least another week to 10 days. Yuck!

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
65* for Central Penciltucky...Not riding, to much white powdery substance on roads.......Not Cola either...Salt!!!
Wait til Spring.....Come on Spring!!!

I did walk out the Big Slow A$$ Moped back in the driveway and gave her the spa treatment!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's going to be a while before we are riding in these parts. It dipped down to -30 C (-22 F) last night, the coldest that we've seen this winter. We'll see a "balmy" -20 C (-4 F) for our high temp today. The cold weather is forecast to stick around for at least another week to 10 days. Yuck!

Yeah, it's supposed to be pretty chilly for the next week or so......won't get up above freezing until some time late next week. Keep this crap up there Al.......

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
65* for Central Penciltucky...Not riding, to much white powdery substance on roads.......Not Cola either...Salt!!!
Wait til Spring.....Come on Spring!!!

I did walk out the Big Slow A$$ Moped back in the driveway and gave her the spa treatment!!!
Holy Crap...........Look at that BIG shiny wheel!!!!??

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
It's been really nice in NC so took the afternoon off and a 175 mile ride.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ten degrees F and 4" of new white stuff here...........no riding for probably a month or better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts