Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '05 Boulevard a few weeks ago and took it for my first "just for fun" ride Saturday. My buddy just bought a bike as well and we rode together. He has an '02 V-Star 1500. We just took about a 60 mile trip on some back roads west of Springfield, MO. It was a blast! The Boulevard kept right up with the 1500 without a problem. We stopped in Willard and grabbed lunch at a little Bar-B-Que place downtown. The only thing that went wrong was that I didn't wear gloves and now the backs of my hands are sunburnt! Oh well, the ride was well worth it. I can't wait till next weekend and do it again.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
First off, welcome to V.R. and congrats on the ride. If this is your first motorcycle experience, please take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course - what you learn there will help you tremendously handling the bike safely, and can possibly safe your live one day ;)

Cheers,
Moe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and yes I am taking the MSF course. I am signed up to take it May 2-4. They were booked up till then, which is a good thing. I have just been riding to work and school so far and this was my first joy ride.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
Welcome from IOWA

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome from Washington state. I learned my lesson about gloves when I was hit on the knuckle by a bumblebee the size of a barn swallow.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix, AZ! I wear fingerless gloves with an oval opening on the back, between the knuckles and wrist. I have a big brown, football shaped, dark tanned area on the back of both hands.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
cactusjack said:
Welcome from Phoenix, AZ! I wear fingerless gloves with an oval opening on the back, between the knuckles and wrist. I have a big brown, football shaped, dark tanned area on the back of both hands.
And you're sure that's from riding the motorcycle ??? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Sounds like fun and fun will happen on the rides...

My first few times I burned bad on me arms...ouch!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats. Be safe (riding with a buddy is a good start). Wear the gear and take the course! And when you take the course, practice the techniques from the course with YOUR bike. The C50 definitely handles differently than those dirtbikes and smaller cruisers used in MSF courses.

My friend and I are same scenario. Both new riders, both got cruisers, his cruiser is 1300 Vstar. Unfortunately, he pushed himself outside of his ability on a ride taking a corner too fast and he went down. 2k damage on the bike, but he's ok due to the gear he wore. So don't worry about "keeping up" with your friend's bigger bike. Had I been trying to "keep up", I mighta went down too. Ride your own ride at your comfort level. Just make sure you or him waits up for the other one every now and then to make sure the other is ok.

Alexi

PS - I'm planning the first "just for fun" ride with my wife as a passenger for a few hours this weekend. We've ridden two-up to and from work, and for a quick little section of a farm road to get her used to turning left and right and just seeing the sights. This weekend we'll be going out and just cruising along.

Then the next day, I plan on waking up early, leaving her at home, and going out on my own and just riding.

PPS - The only way to get better and more comfortable at riding, is to ride. Just do it safely!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Don't forget to take the MGE&S course. The Motorcycle Glove Etiquette and Safety course will teach you all the rules for why and how to wear gloves on a motorcycle.

Full finger, half finger, no finger, six finger, leather, pleather, vinyl, even the cotton garden model for beginners.

Especially helpful is the section where they show you how not to show off the long finger to certain types of bikers who might show you the backs of their gloves close and personal.

Rubber dishwashing gloves are considered in bad taste at most biker functions. Don't ask me how I know this.....

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Welcome to the site and congratsa on the new bike.

Check out the BVR and International rally threads. Pretty close to you.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Welcome from North East Florida.

Cheers!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone! I am planning on getting some full finger gloves. Anybody got any suggestions on a good set of gloves? My wife is really wanting to ride, she already bought herself a helmet! :roll: I told her that she is going to have to wait a while, after the MSF course and a few more months of riding.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Butch3131 said:
Thanks everyone! I am planning on getting some full finger gloves. Anybody got any suggestions on a good set of gloves? My wife is really wanting to ride, she already bought herself a helmet! :roll: I told her that she is going to have to wait a while, after the MSF course and a few more months of riding.
Congratulations on he ride. You're smart to wait on carrying a passenger. My MSF instructor suggested that we all wait at least a year.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Butch3131 said:
No specific brand of gloves, make sure they are made from cowhide and fit you comfortably. For summer, fingerless gloves are recommended but that's of course a personal choice.

Our good member Capt Cruiser has an online leather store you might want to check out - his product is very decent at good prices:

www.cyclesportsleather.com

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Welcome from Lafayette, Indiana. If your neck, arms and shoulder did not hurt after your first ride, you are doing great as a motorcyclist. If they did hurt, with experience comes relaxation.

Rather than have your wife as passenger, why don't you register her to take the MSF with you. Even if she doesn't get a bike for herself, she would definitely be a better passenger having that schooling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts