Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Super Moderator
Just understand that Suzuki and any other motorcycle company doesn't make their own oil or filters. They have other companies make that for them. I used Suzuki oil and my bike wouldn't shift right. It was terrible pulling out in traffic, shifting to 2nd and it not engaging. and then scrambling to get my feet on the ground before it fell while traffic was still coming at me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Rotella t6 has the Jaso rating for wet clutches. I use it in my valkyrie trike, royal star tour deluxe and my Suzi bobber. NO PROBLEMS EVER.
Been using t6 many years.
That's what I've been using for years in my previous bikes, also without any problem

But I've also noticed on my C50 that there were times when I had some annoying trouble shifting at inconvient times. Not after I originally bought the bike but later, after I started topping it off with the T6 I already had on hand. (I have no idea what was in the bike when I purchased it, but I put a lot of miles on it last summer so it's been topped up a lot. It's probably mostly T6 in there now. )

I didn't connect the shifting issue with the oil at the time I posted this thread. I just assumed it was some normal quirkiness for this make and model. My previous rides had their own quirks, too. You learn what to ignore...and what not to ignore.

Since others here with the same shifting issue recommended an alternative that solved the problem for them, I figure I better listen up and give their advice a try.

I guess I'll know how it turns out by the time I get back from Sturgis. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry to revive this thread, but I figured it would be more relevant than starting a new one.

Recommended: Mobil 1 15W-50 Full Synth. Fine.

It's frikkin' unobtanium around here :scream:, and I'm 15 minutes outside of a major city.
Either I have to order it, wait for it, and pay shipping charges, or run on out to one (the only one in the area that has it) of the WallyWorlds that isn't really close by. Nobody keeps this stuff on the shelves.

I don't want to rehash the what type of oil is best threads 'cause I'm fresh out of popcorn, but great oil that I can't find ain't working out for me.

I need something that's readily available (and decently priced) at AutoZone or Advance Auto for example. Not something that's geocached.
Otherwise, it's back to WalMart (a local one) for some Rotella T6.

PS: My bike just passed PA state inspection a few hours ago with flying colors. My first multi-day, multi-state camping trip is coming up. Time to make everything all good for a new riding season. :laugh:

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well, that's good news. Thanks.

Either they just stocked it or something was wrong with my interwebs. I had just finished another fruitless search, including Wal-Mart which didn't show the oil in stock at any nearby stores, posted about it and now, whoop there it is.

Those stores are nearby and as luck would have it. I was just a few miles away from one of them this morning when my bike was getting inspected.

I'll head out tomorrow and pick some up.

I'm saving your link.

Oops, it turns out they don't have it in stock. They can order it though. They used to ship for free to a store, but it looks that option is not available.

Super Moderator
have been using Castrol GTX 10/40 in spring/fall/winter and 20/50 in summer for the last 150k miles I've ridden on the 3 suzukis I have owned...never an issue...available anywhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I must have been a good boy and the Lord has smiled upon me...

After a very long period of "we don't stock it" and "we just ran out" concerning the 15W-50 and the proper filter size, everything fell into place today.*

I checked the Wal-Mart link this morning that Skrapiron posted yesterday which showed the oil was out of stock last night. Well, it was all now in stock this morning...at all the local stores. (I should mention, I don't really have a local Wal-Mart...just some that are closer than others.) I ran up there right off and bought myself some. :-D

But they didn't have the filters or the gear oil. :-(

So I hit Advance Auto on the way home. They had the gear oil. :-D
But they were out of the filters. :-(

I eventually stopped at another Advance Auto,
They had the filters. :-D

So, 34 miles and worth it. :grin2:

*Just so I can keep my man card. I'm not prone to whining and whimpering on the web when all the stars don't conveniently align. I'll admit to getting a bit exasperated. I've been "just missing" finding this stuff in stock for a couple of months. Just the law of averages asserting itself, I guess.

Onward then. :cool:

Super Moderator
I love it when a plan comes together. Those other recommended oils are all inferior in all aspects compared to Mobil1 15W50.

Registered
Pep Boys at Robinson has the purolator filters. Or you can change the adapter to use more common ones. Glad it worked out for you.

Registered
Glad you finally found everything. You had my luck. I usually just buy stuff when I see it available. I may not plan on doing it soon, but when it's time, I have it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Glad you finally found everything. You had my luck. I usually just buy stuff when I see it available. I may not plan on doing it soon, but when it's time, I have it.
That's been my usual procedure with my previous bikes: Buying my supplies well ahead of time so they are always on hand when maintenance is due.

Since this is the first maintenance I'm doing on this bike, it's mostly a matter of finding the right stuff for it. Except for the spark plugs and coolant I used on my Honda, everything else is different.

I'm careful not too stock too far ahead though...I had just purchased several cans of BelRay chain lube, chain cleaner, and some other stuff for my Honda before it went South, which means I have about $50.00 worth of supplies I'll never use in the shed. Luckily, one of my students rides a VLX.

OK,
Oil - check
Filter - check
Gear oil - check
Plugs - check

Now to track down a good option for one of those darn air filters...Another topic for another day.
I'm still mulling some Vance and Hines pipes, too.

The fun never ends. 馃檪

Super Moderator
It's so rewarding to think you would reach out to us as to what oil to use and you actually listened!

Registered
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
It's so rewarding to think you would reach out to us as to what oil to use and you actually listened!
Please let my wife know. She's says I don't listen to anyone. :grin2:

The help was appreciated.

The oil/filter change is done. It took longer than usual...first time on this bike...but it's done. Before I began I had to chase down a new filter removal tool because the one I had for my old Honda didn't fit. I didn't expect it would though, so I did that before I even started the job.

I read somewhere on the net that a 14mm crush washer would do and I already had those in the shed. After I removed the plug, 14mm was obviously too big. My best measurement shows that a 10mm crush washer is needed. It looks like there wasn't one on already, so I did without it this time. I hear it's OK to do that.

How hand tight was a guess, since I couldn't get my truckasaurus hands in there to get a good grip, so I used a tool and some experienced guessing.

What caught me up was the gear oil drain plug. I didn't remove it because I didn't have anything that fit it. That'll have to wait until tomorrow...another run to the auto store.

So here I go again...
Can anyone confirm the ID of the oil drain crush washer?
Is a crush washer needed for the gear oil drain, too. Same size?
What size socket will I need for the gear oil drain plug?....EDIT...Never mind. I was able to freeze a video. It's a 21mm.

As previously confirmed...I'll listen to whut yinz tell me. 0:)

Super Moderator
If you would like to pay more for the same results.......

Mobil1 15w50 has almost the same exact specs as Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 at a reduced cost.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts