Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife decided she wants her own bike. It is not proving to be very easy to find something for her. She is too short!!!!!

My C50t is way too big for her. We have gone and looked at a few and are thinking of a Honda VLX600. Does anyone know anything about these bikes?

I would prefer to put her on a S40 but we can't find any used ones around here and I don't want to put her on a new bike.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Yamaha Virago 250 V-Twin.
Fantastic machine, HD Sportster sized, but much lighter.
I have that very bike! (In fact, I think I have the bike in the picture.... I bought it from Ron, who I believe bought it from Psycho) It is an absolute blast to ride. My daughter is getting her MC permit here in May and will be riding it soon. It is the perfect bike for a beginner and still puts a smile on the face of a seasoned rider.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
Two more to consider: Yamaha VStar 650, and Kawaski Vulcan 500.

But really, she has to sit on the bikes herself and go with what feels comfortable for her. It's easy for all of us to speculate, but feeling comfortable on a particular motorcycle is a very personal thing. And it's particularly important when you're just starting to ride, IMHO.

Happy shopping -- and riding -- to both you and your wife!

·
Registered
795 Posts
My wife started on a Suzuki Gz 250 and is very happy we still have it as a spare.

·
Registered
31 Posts
+1 for the Honda Shadow 750 Aero, really low and very tight fit. My friend has one and he is 5'8" and complains that its too small for him. I am 6'1" and there is no way I can ride it without my knees being above the tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is leaning toward the VLX because it was a good for. She sat on a couple shadow 750 that were too heavy. I am taking her to go look at 2 tonight. 95 with 18k miles for 2200 and a 02 with 8k miles for 2700.

Thanks for the help

Scott

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
The S40 is going to be too small and she will outgrow it fast.

Try to find a V-Star 650 for her to sit on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought my wife an SV650 after she sat on around 50 bikes in God knows how many shops. That was her pick & she loved it, "when she could keep it upright". She is on the tall side though 5'11 or so. Good luck, just make sure she really gets a chance to make her own decision and she, (or you) will be much happier.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Two more to consider: Yamaha VStar 650, and Kawaski Vulcan 500.

But really, she has to sit on the bikes herself and go with what feels comfortable for her. It's easy for all of us to speculate, but feeling comfortable on a particular motorcycle is a very personal thing. And it's particularly important when you're just starting to ride, IMHO.

Happy shopping -- and riding -- to both you and your wife!

I had the Kawasaki Vulcan 500, and I always felt it was not well balanced for a beginner. Always felt top-heavy to me. That's what surprised me so much about the Volusia- a bigger bike that feels vertically lighter as the center of gravity is lower. Don't have an opinion on the VStar 650, though one of my riding gals loves hers!

Go to a large dealership that has a large # of used bikes on display and just have her sit on everything that looks promising. Have her pick them up from the stand, and hopefully she will find the one she feels comfortable on.

Best of luck from another vertically challenged lady! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a 06 s40 for 2500 with only 5k miles. Do any of you know anything about these? She will be mainly riding city streets and country roads.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I found a 06 s40 for 2500 with only 5k miles. Do any of you know anything about these? She will be mainly riding city streets and country roads.

Thanks

Scott
Friend had one for his wife and daughter to learn on - nice scoot, light and easy to maneuver. Not a lot of power but a good learner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My experience...

My wife was a new rider a few years back and she originally went with a shadow 750 ( bad choice!! ). Although feet were flat on the ground she felt it was too heavy and difficult to turn as a new rider. She then felt she wanted to change the riding position so went with a sport touring model-the Kawasaki ZR7S (750 cc). Another bad choice as it was quite responsive on the throttle for a new rider and she was not quite flat footed when she sat on it. In the end, she has had bad experiences with both machines and is still a new rider who enjoys her satellite radio in her car. Common to both was the size of the machine (750 cc's).

I do not buy into the theory of thinking that "if you buy a smaller bike you will "outgrow" it and become "bored" of it really quick so it is a waste of money" - no disrespect to those of you who do mind you. Here is why...

Sometimes we forget the learning curve required for new riders. The MSF teaches you the basics in a very controlled environment; the real learning is done through experiences on the road in the uncontrolled environment. To be in control of the technical aspects of motorcycle riding is difficult enough for a new rider without having FULL CONTROL of the physical aspects of the machine. And as we all know, we also have to be concerned with what everyone else on the road is doing as well. A couple of "bad experiences" and you will be selling the bike before the season is done anyways.

A Vulcan 500 is about 450 pounds. Honda 450 rebel is about 400 pounds. A S40 is about 350 pounds. All good choices when it comes to a starter cruiser. Now the decision should be based on "fitment" and how she feels on the machine.

Best of luck in your search and here's hoping you guys find the right bike. A little lengthy post...I know...but just wanted to pass on some of our experiences (...and mistakes... :crying: ). Hope this helps.

CAN2011

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Another vote for the Vstar 650. Good friend of ours (and riding buddy) started riding a couple of years ago and she started out on that bike. We were at Thunder Beach last year and I was moving her bike and it really is a light and well-balanced bike for a 650. It's been the perfect bike for her.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got the vstar 250 for my wife as a beginning rider fresh out of the msf course. It was the perfect bike for her (she was a pretty apprehensive beginner) - super easy to ride and low and light. I had a blast on it too.

Another bonus - we had the bike just over a year and sold it for the same amount we bought it for. So dont worry about the "out-growing it", someone is always looking for these bikes and if you take care of them they sell quick. Just flip it and buy the upgrade when she's ready.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts