Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Just purchased my new light and bracket!

Went with this light:

http://a.co/gC6MwOP

And this bracket:

http://a.co/adrBEuq

Should be here by Tuesday! So from the fellas that have already installed a similar light, what exactly needs to be done to modify the bracket to make it fit? What needs to be welded where?

Thanks in advance!
Let me know how this works/fits!
I might want you to make up another one I can "plug and play", "bolt right in"

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing this too.

I put an LED headlight bulb in this year and I have to say I don't like it. It's nice and bright at night, which is great if you ride at night a lot (I don't) BUT in the daylight it really sucks! I ride with the LED in highbeam mode in the day just to get some added visibility.

Last winters project was to switch the bulb to this LED.

This winters project is to switch it back, or go to the Daymaker or Trucklite
I did switch mine back to the Sylvania, from just an LED bulb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Amazon is so quick! It all was at my door this morning!

Now to get some warm weather so I can install these.

Once again, any input or pics of what needs to be welded to make these fit?

Thanks!
Does that fit into the existing housing?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Does that fit into the existing housing?
Haven't gotten started on my install yet, but yes. It is a 7" headlight, and our existing housing is holding a 7" headlight, and our forum brother StitchIzz has already installed a different version of a 7" headlight into the existing housing, so I don't see any reason why it won't!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haven't gotten started on my install yet, but yes. It is a 7" headlight, and our existing housing is holding a 7" headlight, and our forum brother StitchIzz has already installed a different version of a 7" headlight into the existing housing, so I don't see any reason why it won't!
Wowwwwwwww nice!!!!!! I've wanted to change the headlight to a setup like that. TO EBAY!! lol.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,700 Posts
Will try and document the process as best as possible once the weather warms up a bit!
Maybe I'll get you to make me one.....................

·
Registered
470 Posts
Only needed the front portion of the jeep kit - the part with the o-ring, and holds the housing. The bigger ring with the springs got tossed.

I welded 2 small L brackets - 1 top, 1 bottom for mounts. I want to say it was about 5/8" up is where I drilled my holes.

The original spring that had the plate on the back of the old bulb was the biggest mod - had to flip it and cut/grind it down til it fit in right.
Hey StitchIzz, any help with a mock-up of where you welded the small L brackets on the top and bottom?

Did you have to cut or bend any of the tabs on the "Jeep kit ring"?

I have my stock light apart, took the cage off and am trying to get it all lined up as best as possible to see where to weld, but if you have any insight, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only needed the front portion of the jeep kit - the part with the o-ring, and holds the housing. The bigger ring with the springs got tossed.

I welded 2 small L brackets - 1 top, 1 bottom for mounts. I want to say it was about 5/8" up is where I drilled my holes.

The original spring that had the plate on the back of the old bulb was the biggest mod - had to flip it and cut/grind it down til it fit in right.

StitchIzz,
Do you have another pic of the spring plate that you had to cut/grind? I'm looking at doing this to my bike and tryng to get an idea of what you actually did. I got the "L" bracket mods. I'm assuming you mounted the black bracket to the headlight ring with the 2 side mounting holes to get things even. I also see that it doesn't quite line up with the tabs on the LED ring and are offset a little..

True

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey StitchIzz, any help with a mock-up of where you welded the small L brackets on the top and bottom?

Did you have to cut or bend any of the tabs on the "Jeep kit ring"?

I have my stock light apart, took the cage off and am trying to get it all lined up as best as possible to see where to weld, but if you have any insight, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. Part of the issue is that 2 screw piece that is still on your light is part of what's needed on this light as well. if you look at your black bracket you have 2 ways to adjust the light by screwing those screws. One of them attaches to your light bulb itself and the other to the bracket. He said he had to cut/grind and I'm thinking it was that piece still attached to your light.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. Part of the issue is that 2 screw piece that is still on your light is part of what's needed on this light as well. if you look at your black bracket you have 2 ways to adjust the light by screwing those screws. One of them attaches to your light bulb itself and the other to the bracket. He said he had to cut/grind and I'm thinking it was that piece still attached to your light.
Yes, I agree. I've removed that bracket from the original light, and will have it welded/tacked onto the original headlight trim ring, just like the other adjustment screw is...

I'm not doing this work myself, my neighbour does custom work on classics, and he actually took my headlight and all trims that are needed yesterday, and hes gonna do what is needed to make it fit.

I showed him the pics that StitchIzz has already posted to give him an idea, but if we can get some more pics I'm sure it would be even more helpful!

If you have any pics of the tabs you welded, let's see them too!

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seven40iL,
Cool...I was looking at it last night and will work on it this weekend. I kind of don't want to cut that silver plate that was attached to the back of my OEM light as I don't know if for whatever reason I want to put it back in I want to be able to. I am though going to swing by a bike shop and try to find a use Fatboy or Road King headlight and see about retrofitting one of them as well.

I have welders/plasma cutters as stuff so if time permits I will go ahead and cut me a few small tabs just incase I decide that one of the Harley lights will not work. I'm working on a C90 though and not a C50. I've fabricated my Harley bags so that I can have the quick release method on them and now I'm fabricating the rear fender/bags gap and incorporating rear lights as well in between them. I tried to insert some pics but don't know how. This site is a little different than our C90 site..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seven40iL,
Cool...I was looking at it last night and will work on it this weekend. I kind of don't want to cut that silver plate that was attached to the back of my OEM light as I don't know if for whatever reason I want to put it back in I want to be able to. I am though going to swing by a bike shop and try to find a use Fatboy or Road King headlight and see about retrofitting one of them as well.

I have welders/plasma cutters as stuff so if time permits I will go ahead and cut me a few small tabs just incase I decide that one of the Harley lights will not work. I'm working on a C90 though and not a C50. I've fabricated my Harley bags so that I can have the quick release method on them and now I'm fabricating the rear fender/bags gap and incorporating rear lights as well in between them. I tried to insert some pics but don't know how. This site is a little different than our C90 site..
Nice. How'd it go with your modding?

Mine is still with my neighbour, but he told me yesterday that it is almost finished. So as soon as I get it back, I will make sure to take some pics!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice. How'd it go with your modding?

Mine is still with my neighbour, but he told me yesterday that it is almost finished. So as soon as I get it back, I will make sure to take some pics!

Wondering if you have the finish product back from your neighbor yet?

True

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay... So i'm 90% finished with this mod on my '05 C90...Here are a couple of pics that maybe will help everyone.. I still have to add one more tab/brace that will keep the light from moving left to right..I can't figure it out how to upload pics again but I've added some to my profile and made them public and hope they help..

True

21 - 40 of 52 Posts