Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up my headlight conversion. Wasn't too bad. 7" light fit in just fine, plenty of room in the bucket. Had to get one of those "jeep kit" rings that holds the light, welded 2 tabs to it, trimmed down the one spring plate, and boom, done. Fit right into the factory bracket so I can adjust it like the stock one, and holy crap is it bright!! I'll get some pics later today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just finished up my headlight conversion. Wasn't too bad. 7" light fit in just fine, plenty of room in the bucket. Had to get one of those "jeep kit" rings that holds the light, welded 2 tabs to it, trimmed down the one spring plate, and boom, done. Fit right into the factory bracket so I can adjust it like the stock one, and holy crap is it bright!! I'll get some pics later today.
I need to see some pictures of what you did...... I have updated my bulb to a LED, but I am not digging the reflections out of the stock housing. It puts out a good amount of light, but its all over the place. I would like to see what you did to the Daymaker and what kind of output beam it has.... as I may end up changing my head and driving lights out with Daymakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes pictures please. I bought a Daymaker LED headlight for my bike and am stuck at trying to get it mounted. It came with one of the Jeep mounting kits you talked about.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing this too.

I put an LED headlight bulb in this year and I have to say I don't like it. It's nice and bright at night, which is great if you ride at night a lot (I don't) BUT in the daylight it really sucks! I ride with the LED in highbeam mode in the day just to get some added visibility.

Last winters project was to switch the bulb to this LED.

This winters project is to switch it back, or go to the Daymaker or Trucklite

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only needed the front portion of the jeep kit - the part with the o-ring, and holds the housing. The bigger ring with the springs got tossed.

I welded 2 small L brackets - 1 top, 1 bottom for mounts. I want to say it was about 5/8" up is where I drilled my holes.

The original spring that had the plate on the back of the old bulb was the biggest mod - had to flip it and cut/grind it down til it fit in right.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Only needed the front portion of the jeep kit - the part with the o-ring, and holds the housing. The bigger ring with the springs got tossed.

I welded 2 small L brackets - 1 top, 1 bottom for mounts. I want to say it was about 5/8" up is where I drilled my holes.

The original spring that had the plate on the back of the old bulb was the biggest mod - had to flip it and cut/grind it down til it fit in right.
Damn, I wish I could weld!

Don't feel like making a fella one of those brackets if I pay for the parts do ya?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it weren't for the fact I'd need the light and the stock inner bracket/cage thing, to make sure it lined up, id do it for ya. Probably be cost-prohibitive to ship all that back and forth. If ya wanna pay shipping and send all the stuff though, id be more than happy to get it all mounted up in there since I already figured out what went where.

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
Yes pictures please. I bought a Daymaker LED headlight for my bike and am stuck at trying to get it mounted. It came with one of the Jeep mounting kits you talked about.
First ever post needs a welcome to the VRF family from Gettysburg, Penna.....Ride safe and enjoy...Best, D.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it weren't for the fact I'd need the light and the stock inner bracket/cage thing, to make sure it lined up, id do it for ya. Probably be cost-prohibitive to ship all that back and forth. If ya wanna pay shipping and send all the stuff though, id be more than happy to get it all mounted up in there since I already figured out what went where.
I may take you up on that offer. I've got a friend locally that welds, so I am going to hit him up to see if he feels like doing a quick little weld job for me..... If he doesn't have the time then I will see about sending it all to you.

·
Registered
20,226 Posts
I may take you up on your offer. I would like to know who you bought the parts off of and how much they were, so I get the same. It would make you some extra $ doing these for our winter projects.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I was hoping it could be done without the welding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was hoping it could be done without the welding.
Not any way that I felt comfortable with... You could try gobs of epoxy, but I wouldn't trust it to hold up.

I may take you up on your offer. I would like to know who you bought the parts off of and how much they were, so I get the same. It would make you some extra $ doing these for our winter projects.
I'll have to look and see. I just searched for "black daymaker" on ebay, and found the ring for $16 on an auction listing, and bought the light itself from another seller for around $30 or so. I'm gonna have to dig through my steel pile and see what I have to make more tabs out of.

If I had a way to get them rechromed after welding, it would be something I could offer ready-to-go. Although, I guess they could just get blasted and painted, since you don't see the welded ring anyways...

I may take you up on that offer. I've got a friend locally that welds, so I am going to hit him up to see if he feels like doing a quick little weld job for me..... If he doesn't have the time then I will see about sending it all to you.
Just let me know!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
That looks amazingly simple.

You definitely did your homework.

This is now on my list of things to do, ... sooner than later.

Please post any part numbers/etc, for the jeep kit rings so we know what we need to get.

I nominate this for a Sticky Post.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The light I went with was one of these: 7" Motorcycle Black Projector Daymaker Headlight Hi/Lo LED For Harley Davidson | eBay
You want to make sure you get one with the inline ballast (like this one), so that it has the proper output.

the ring was one of these, but in chrome: Black 7" Daymaker LED Headlight Mounting Ring Bracket for Softail 1991-2013

many types available from many different sellers, all seem to be near the same price point.

For the ring, I only used the front section, the bigger ring shown mounted to it with the spring-loaded screws gets tossed in the trash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the light and light ring but its been too cold in my unheated garbage to get any substantial work done. I have a guy who will weld the tabs on for me once I get the light apart.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Amazon is so quick! It all was at my door this morning!

Now to get some warm weather so I can install these.

Once again, any input or pics of what needs to be welded to make these fit?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts