Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it!!!!!!! Took the leap and debaffled and man does it sound great. I thought I was going to pee my pants when I cracked the throttle. The wife was B%T$Hing the whole time I was doing it. If you are on a limited budget like me it is great and easy to do 25-30 min done.

Thanks for all the advise everybody gave me. It went to the video to the T

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took out the baffles only left the mickey plate in for now because I am not sure how to get it out and what the sound difference would be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm at the same stage. Debaffled but left Mickey. Played around with Mickey (poked him and prodded him LOL) just to see how tight he is in there but didn't actually do any major damage. I did, accidentally poke a hole in the upper Mickey plate with the rebar I was using and, if its not my imagination, the sound has deepened.

That's why I'm hesitant to go at it. Firstly, I'm not exactly sure how to get them out and secondly what will happen to the sound. Don't want it any louder. Anybody know of a De-Mickey video like the De-baffle video. That was really helpful. I am really reluctant to start banging away with baseball bats and sledge hammers until I know exactly what I'm supposed to be banging away at.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Excuse the ignorance, but I know nothing about mufflers.
I have looked at the debaffle video, seems pretty straightforward.

How many baffles are there, he apparently took out one.

What is a mickey plate? And what does it do?

And how much louder does it get without the baffles? My bike is a 2003 800 and it sounds okay, on the quiet side as it is stock.

Harley's are wayyyyy too loud for me, that kind that you find frequentling biker hangouts. Where is the debaffled version between these?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys, I have taken out Mickey and poked 3 large holes in the 3rd and final baffle plate (my 3 plus the stock large hole is 4 total). Wow, what a difference in sound and power. You all will not regret it. I do notice some minor missing but I am going to do a reset on the battery and see if my FI will adjust some but it does not seem to hurt the performance or sound. When I get on the throttle, it sounds like thunder. I just purchased the 2-3/4" hole saw blade for the 3rd baffle plate. I got Mickey out by drilling a bunch of small holes around the perimeter then punched it out. However, if I had the correct size hole saw (must be smaller then 3") blade at the time, I would have used that. Anyway, my bike is a M50. Oh, you will need an 18" extension bit also. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Albert Rider,
There are three plates and two baffles in total if I'm not mistaken. The first one is the one you see on the video. The back plate is the one you hole saw out and the break the first baffle out. Beyond that is the Mickey plate. The Mickey plate is just a plate with two small pipes attached to it and a centre hole where the first baffle is attached. Then there is one more baffle and the final plate behind that (some one correct me if I have miscounted the number of baffles).

Debaffling does make quite a difference. A friend of mine and riding partner has a HD Fatboy with Screaming Eagle II pipes and even he commented on the sound of my debaffled pipes. It is fairly loud. I like the sound of the pipes that way. It really gets you noticed on the street. I find people in cages hear me a lot better as I see them looking behind themselves as I am approaching. Anything that will get me noticed is a good thing in my book.

I have read a lot of posts talking about beating the Mickey plate out with baseball bats and sledge hammers. I haven't been able to find a hole saw extension long enough to reach the Mickey. Also, I burned out my drill getting the first baffle out. Has anyone seen a video on removing the baffles? Anyone interested in making one and posting it?

Alberta Rider - hope that helps somewhat. There is a lot of info on this site about debaffling - do a search and you will find lots. I have also found sound bites of debaffled vs stock pipes. Just can't remember where I found them - sorry. You might try a google search.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Okay, big changes!

On Wednesday night I had gone to the meeting hole of people that are biked, and met up with a bunch of Volusia owners, including ICBlues (hi girl!)

In talking with this one guy, he showed me the changes he had made, drilled 8 5/8" holes in each of his mufflers, surrounding the center hole. Then he had drilled out the mickey plate with a spade bit. It sounded quite nice. I thought to myself, I can do that!

So, went home and dutifully drilled out the 16 holes. Honest truth, not a huge difference. Actually, it kind of had an outboard motor gurgle in it, you know the kind they get at idle when they're sitting high in the water?

Hmmmm, not that impressive a sound. Okay, step two, this so-called mickey plate thing. Now, he had said that the baffle, which is still in there, by the way, has a section that is about 2 inches long and to get the spade bit in he rammed some half inch rebar in to resize the neck. I can do that. Went over to an electrician I know who has lots of pipes of various sizes, and rammed a pole in until it hit the plate. Then he suggested going one size up, to 5/8" pipe to make sure that the spade bit would not get stuck in the neck of the baffle. Sounded reasonable.

And, after doing all this, he suggested, wisely, let's start it up, just to see if it made any difference! Well HOLY Road Apples! I've got a Harley!

Never did touch the mickey plate, it's WAY too loud already! I can already hear my mother's echoing words in my ears about them noisy murder-cycles. Actually, I won't be able to hear her cuz I am half deaf from my own pipes now!

It sounds cool! May be a little too loud for my personal preference, I like things a little on the quieter side, but it's good.

So, a suggestion for people that are wanting to up the sound, from my experience here:

1. Ram out the baffle to increase the neck size to 5/8" at least. I have no idea what would happen if I increased the size to 3/4" , might get lower, or just louder. Lower's cool, louder's not needed anymore.

2. Drilling 8 holes in the rear plate didn't make any huge difference by itself, so I don't know what the effect would be if I did it backwards. I know of another Volusia owner that I can try this one, maybe. I'll have to talk to him.

But people notice me now! Whether they want to or not!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts