Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change the oil on my '09 C50. Everything is ready and on hand except a crush washer.

Size: 12mm (M12), right?

Is it necessary, or best, to use the cone-shaped OEM crush washer, Or will any M12 / 12mm flat crush washer, aluminum or copper do?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The crush washer is 12mm and the one on mine is aluminum. I can’t remember if I put it on or not.
I’ve had my bike for 6 years, multiple oil changes and never have replaced the crush washer and I haven’t had any leaks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then the flat washers (which I have on hand) are OK to use?

This is only the 2nd time I've changed the oil on this particular bike. It had a fresh change when I bought it used from the dealer. The next change was by me...I didn't notice a crush washer already on the plug that time so I just didn't bother using one. I've read since that sometimes the existing washer may still have been there stuck on the plug or in the hole, and I may have not seen it.

I'm OK with not using one if that's the general consensus. I trust you guys.
Crush washers are so cheap that I don't mind replacing them from time to time, but this is the first bike I've owned that had a cone-shaped OEM washer, so that's the heart of my question...Will the flat ones be OK?

Every Suzuki dealer near me is either closed, has limited COVID hours, or is not answering the phone. And I just wanna get this done. 😖

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know your locale, but around here the local small-town hardware store has a gigantic selection of fasteners of every variety, including assorted small-engine (motorcycle) oil drain plugs and crush washers. If the dealership were next door to my house, I'd still drive to the hardware to get either item. The savings would be at least $10.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I can get the flat washers nearby, I just wasn't sure if they were the best option or just the "It'll do" option. I also know that a lot of people don't even bother with a crush washer.
But I've had my C50 for less than two years by now and, unlike my previous bikes which I became much more familiar with over time, I'm not as sure about what I can get away with, so to speak, on this one.
I put thousands of miles motorcycle travel camping on my bike each year and I just wanted to play it safe. Anyhoo...

...Here's how it went down:

After striking out with the local dealerships, I took a shot at one that was a 70 mile round trip away. (That sounds like a lot, but there are located only five miles from my old business which I used to commute to every day... (I retired recently) ...so it was really a nice, familiar ride down the interstate. I've been there before for key blanks for my bike. They are well stocked and organized. I called first.
They had the right washers in stock (09168-12002) and had a way to deal with the social distancing for people who needed parts.

I bought 6 washers for $8.00 and change. Not much more than I would have paid for shipping alone from the online suppliers, who had anything from a 2 to 6+ week backlog due to Covid.

All in all, it's a win. :cool:

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
In all my years, I never changed the crush washer, on any vehicle. Maybe it got changed when I took my stuff in and paid someone else to deal with the oil change, but when it was DIY, I just kept reusing the same bolt and washer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
my 2007 C50 Boulevard, now with over 100,000 miles (almost 101,000-bought new with 1 mile on odo); never have replaced the crush washer...it never had one (I have done all my oil changes)...it has a flat washer lip built onto the bolt...still using the same one...never an oil leak....2013 Honda NC700, now with over 56,000+ miles, still using the same crush washer...never an oil leak..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's all done. Nice weather today and nothing else on the schedule. I had time to take it slow.

There actually was a crush washer on the plug, a flat copper one, that had been on there from before I bought the bike. I just didn't notice it the last time I changed the oil.
So flat crush washers are obviously OK...noted.

I know that going washerless works, but this whole exercise was a matter of idle curiosity on my part (the only kind of curiosity I have left. :giggle: ) as to what the original specs called for.
Now I know. 👨‍🎓

Although I've done a lot of my own basic maintenance on previous bikes over the years, now that I'm retired I finally have the time to actually look into things past the "Whew, I gotter done just in time to head off to work" level.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Now, a new horn, and learning how to take/lift the gas tank to install new plugs. I'll probably have more questions, then.
I'm still too much of a wimp to try the valve adjustment by myself, though. 😧

1 - 8 of 8 Posts