Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was disassembling the rear so I could change my tire (which appears will actually be the EASIEST part of this endeavor), when I decided I may as well check on the drive at the same time, since I saw Burnchassis' forum post about rusted out propellor shafts . And, SHOCKER (my terrible luck), there's rust all over the place. The pictures are actually after I cleaned it up a little bit. My issue is that I can't get the oil plug off (It's the metal bit with black rubber ripped off it in places, my doing).
The service manual shows it being removed with a screwdriver, which I have tried for a while now and it will not budge. I've thought about cutting it with my Dremel, but I want to see if there's any suggestions out there before I have to get a new bit for my Dremel, or if that won't even work at all.
I'm hoping to get this taken apart so that I can get a list of the parts I need to order (The forum post has a list of parts, but I want to make absolutely certain I get all of them I need.)
On the final drive, wheels side (last picture on the album), does anyone have a suggestion of how to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Was this bike underwater very long?
My first thought was this may be a good candidate for a DJ drive swap out.
But with such heavy rusting I suspect the bike may have been a flood salvage.
Check the bike out for other signs of water damage before throwing good money into a money pit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I removed my seal with an angle grinder, slowly ground away the seal's metal ring. Be careful that you don't cut into the final drive itself.
After the seal is work down, just pry it off.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
It appears that you've purchased a flood-bike. The only way for that much corrosion to set up on the final drive is if it was underwater for a period of time. You're going to want to replace that entire final drive with a new one. I would also be worried about contamination in the rear brake as well as potential damage to the front brake including water intrusion in the brake line.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
What he said^^^and every other bearing on the bike too i.e. swing arm, wheels steering stem.
That seal is only a dust seal, puncture a hole in it an pry it out, there is only a snap ring under there.
Take it apart and clean it up and see what you are dealing with first before you get to worked up about it. Drain the final drive lube into a clear water bottle (8 oz in there) so you can see if water got in there, if it sat under water it would enter the vent hole, unless the oil was changed afterwards.
Post pics when you get it apart.
I have a few drives laying around but no spare shafts. if you need one.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts