Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Boulevard C50 vl800, 80 cx500 custom very custom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to the forum but have owned my 09 C50 for 12 years. I guess that is good I haven't needed any help in 12 years but now I have a problem. First real problem.

I tore up my drive shaft splines on the final drive side. I probably should have been here years ago and learned they need to be pulled apart and greased occasionally. I have always been under the impression shaft drive didn't need much attention, change the gear oil occasionally and that's all I've done.

It also tore up the splines on the final drive where they meet up.

My question is what years and models can I look for to replace the entire final drive and shaft? I have learned older Volusia use shorter shafts. My shaft is 17 inches total. And if anyone knows where to get a good used one or has one themselves to sell?

I wouldn't need the entire final drive just the shaft and gear it fits into but the entire drive would be easier

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
1: There is no difference in drive shaft length. Any year will fit any year VL800.
2: If you can get JUST the shaft, go ahead and replace it. Just remember to order the oil seal that is needed once you put the circlip back into palce.
3: If you can't get just the shaft, get what is available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this on eBay this is where I got some info that they are not all the same length.
I thought it was for a Volusia but it's for an Intruder but still claims VL800

nos Suzuki INTRUDER VS VL 800 600 700 750 PROPELLER Drive Shaft 27151-38A01
I asked for measurements, total length etc.
He says it measures 33cm (13 inches)

Parts diagrams for mine show pt# 27151-41F00

The splines on my final drive look pretty worn as well, not as bad as the shaft, but you're saying I should only need the shaft?

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
That's a negative, Ghost Rider. You were given bad intel.

Since the bike was introduced the engine, transmission forks, triple tree and final drive have remained unchanged. You can buy a final drive from any year VL800 and put it on any year VL800

If the splines of the drive are worn, then it is best to just replace the entire drive. Know that you are also buying someone else's problems which could include partially stripped drive splines, oil leaks, or any number of other issues. It is recommended to pull the new one and do a complete service, including moly-paste on the drive splines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot Skrapiron I appreciate it

Maybe dude meant 43 cm that would be correct but either way he just had the shaft.

I don't like to use used parts for this type of problem but replacing the final drive new is not gonna be real cheap.

Thanks for the info
Wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
33,888 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

As long as you're replacing the drive assembly, you might check and see if you can find a DJ drive. It's a C90 drive, modified to go on the C50. It'll give you more head room for riding at higher speeds. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Whiskey but I have found a new shaft and coupler for about $200+
I'll just go that route.

Kinda funny you mention higher speeds talking about a C50, my old cx500 is faster than this C50.
I don't ride it at high speeds, at 75 it feels like it's working too hard, but I do try to get up to speed quickly. Normally just trying to keep up with others

Judging by the dry rusty dust under the seal I gotta say it was never lubricated from the factory/dealer causing premature failure along with me never checking it

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I found this on eBay this is where I got some info that they are not all the same length.
I thought it was for a Volusia but it's for an Intruder but still claims VL800

nos Suzuki INTRUDER VS VL 800 600 700 750 PROPELLER Drive Shaft 27151-38A01
I asked for measurements, total length etc.
He says it measures 33cm (13 inches)

Parts diagrams for mine show pt# 27151-41F00

The splines on my final drive look pretty worn as well, not as bad as the shaft, but you're saying I should only need the shaft?
VS800 is a different model with a different rear suspension...it may well be a different shaft! I would double check with the vendor on length before ordering at the least!

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
Good catch. The VS800 is not the same as the VL800. None of the parts are interchangeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts