Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Missouri, Montana, Oregon and Washington are lobbying for lane splitting for motorcycles.
Go for it guys, it's totally legal here, everywhere. We regularly ride slow, past long lines of traffic, to the front.
it is bad form mind, to go right to the front. just sneak in a few cars back.
Some get in your way from jealousy, but many move aside, and get a wave. Obviously, the speed is way down.
In many cities, we can ride in bus lanes. Go for it, and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
a few years back I was sitting in the right lane of a 2 lane backed up traffic jam...creeping along...sucked big time...lots of mc's passed me on the right riding in the break down lane...whatever...so a kid...maybe 7/8 ...in a car riding w/his dad pulls up next to me and the kid looks at me and says why don't you ride in that lane too...so I tell him to ask his dad and the dad looks at me and tells his son...:"cause its against the law"...kid looks back at me and I tell him..."your dads a pretty smart guy...and thats why I don't ride in that lane"...

funnier story relates to a fellow rider here who broke down on a highway here in the northeast...overheating or some similar issue where the bike needed to sit for a while before attempting to move on...well traffic too was also backed up...probably caused the mc riders situation...and cars frustrated w/the waiting dedided to use the breakdown lane to use and gave the mc rider sh*t for daring to use the breakdown lane for what he was using it for...breaking down. You can't make this sh*t up.

·
Super Moderator
27,770 Posts
I don't usually split or filter, but I'll ride the shoulder past cars if I'm making a right and there's a line. I figure that cars will squeeze by to do that if there's room, and on my bike, there's always room.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
a few years back I was sitting in the right lane of a 2 lane backed up traffic jam...creeping along...sucked big time...lots of mc's passed me on the right riding in the break down lane...whatever...so a kid...maybe 7/8 ...in a car riding w/his dad pulls up next to me and the kid looks at me and says why don't you ride in that lane too...so I tell him to ask his dad and the dad looks at me and tells his son...:"cause its against the law"...kid looks back at me and I tell him..."your dads a pretty smart guy...and thats why I don't ride in that lane"...

funnier story relates to a fellow rider here who broke down on a highway here in the northeast...overheating or some similar issue where the bike needed to sit for a while before attempting to move on...well traffic too was also backed up...probably caused the mc riders situation...and cars frustrated w/the waiting dedided to use the breakdown lane to use and gave the mc rider sh*t for daring to use the breakdown lane for what he was using it for...breaking down. You can't make this sh*t up.
In Az, at least in the warm months, they allow bikes (not sure if its actually legal) primarily air-cooled V-Twins to ride in the breakdown lane to keep from over heating.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Az, at least in the warm months, they allow bikes (not sure if its actually legal) primarily air-cooled V-Twins to ride in the breakdown lane to keep from over heating.
I live in Wales in the UK.
Can you explain 'over heating' please? 🥶

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to explain in terms a Welshman could relate to, Inky, but one trip to Phoenix in August and you will understand completely!;)
Yes, I think I would have to do my homework, to cope with distance biking in Phoenix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts