Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh it is a sad day to be back in this freeze after spending the last 2 wonderful weeks in Florida. But I just spent a pleasant day putting together a page of pics and can't wait to brag about it. For any of my frosty brethren who weren't able to get away this icy season my deepest sympathies - and a hearty nony-nony-boo-boo. To PsychO and Cavie thanks so much for your hospitality and showing me a new part of Florida I didn't know.

Here is the photo set in mostly chronological order as events took place. You can skip over the non-bike parts showing friends and family. Of the two bikes I rode down there, a Harley TriGlide and a Limited, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and educational experience. I love the way both bikes look and ride so plush. I would not shell out the price for either of them unless I was a far wealthier man (the brand new '14 TriGlide was a $34k machine) but that didn't stop me from feeling like a King atop them.

Max55 already asked me in an email what I thought about them so I'll tell you in a nutshell - the electronics and ergonomics of both were very nice, rides were ultra plush and appearance, fit and finish were excellent. Power from the 103 motor was merely adequate on the Trike, due to the extra weight no doubt, much livelier on the Limited which I would describe as thrilling..you really knew you were sitting on something! The Limited also had aftermarket pipes which added a lot to the overall visceral effect of throttle roll-ons.

Each bike also had it's sniggles and detractions. The Limited was massively heavy feeling when coming to a stop. You always had to be perfectly upright or prepare for a fight. We came real close to having an issue in a slippery, dry oak leaf covered driveway. The Trike is just eerily strange getting used to (as any trike would be) as it behaves so radically different from a 2-wheeled bike. It turns like a car...it does not and WILL NOT lean no matter how hard you instinctively try to make it. But the most alarming sensation is getting sideways g-force in turns. It seems like the bike is trying to throw you off as your momentum continues straight while the machine turns. You really have to be mindful to slow down before your turn and hang on tight all the way through. Very strange. The last weird deal with the trike is there's no counter steer - if you press the right hand grip at speed you don't lean to the right followed by turning to the right a second later - you turn left and I mean NOW! Quite freaky the first time you daydream and forget how many wheels are under you. At highway speeds the steering stiffen up and the extra resistance counteracts that squirrily sensation that the bike will shoot off to either side at the slightest input. I kept that TriGlide for 3 days and eventually got much more comfortable with it, but I would only own (any) trike if there were some medical reason that precluded riding 2 wheels. Enough yapping here's some pics.

Florida Feb 2014 - a set on Flickr

·
Administrator
54,733 Posts
Glad that You had a memorable vacation, My friend!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Way beyond memorable - part of which I can thank you for directly. Like I say, next year it'll be longer and if possible with my own bike on hand. Hey you're a moderator, can you delete my double post? I got some kind of error while publishing and did a refresh, thought I'd lost it all but doubled up instead.
Thanks.

Reactions: Psyc0

·
Administrator
54,733 Posts
Will do, immediately!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great pictures! I love seeing people have a good time :wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Nice write up ID Man, Very interesting observations about the trike. Nice photos too.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ya'll come back now ya hear!!:wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Great pics Id-Man. I felt like I was along for the ride! Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Really glad you had a good time!
Now go shovel your walk! No one ever escapes Stalog 13. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Thanks.
Lots of smiles.:)

·
Registered