Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on the drive shaft I came across a clutch replacement video. So here I am with the pipes off, rear end apart and a straight shot at the clutch. 20k miles on the bike, and only about 400 miles are mine so I don't know it well at all.

I'm asking if anyone has a specific clutch kit they like, I'm looking at the Barnett myself. I intend to replace plates, backing plates, springs and the gasket for the cover. Mine is a '06 M50 Boulevard.

Thanks as always for your input.

Cec

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
Barnett is a fine choice. It will feel a bit different over stock. Don't forget to do a full clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just put a clutch in my buddy's C50, with about 22k miles. It was slipping pretty bad. I'd always thought the C50 had a pretty marginal clutch to start with (common on a lot of "entry level" bikes, they put the weakest clutch springs in they think they can get away with in the name of a light lever pull- without the expense of a hydraulic system). They never really "lock up" well even new, which leads to relatively short life (20k miles is pretty crap for clutch life if you ask me). We had these come into the dealer for slipping clutches in the 20-30k range relatively often.

Anyway, we wanted to fix this on the cheap, so I just got EBC's most basic set of cork based friction discs. It was like $50, as well as the Barnett heavy duty springs (they were just a few bucks cheaper than EBC's heavy duty springs). Those were like $15. The steels looked fine and no other signs of trouble in there, so it was a pretty quick swap. Back together and clutch has a much improved action, more progressive, and there's actually a "lurch" if you aggressively shift, there never was before. The lever pull is a bit heavier, I've heard of people doing half/half with OE and heavy duty springs to kind of split the difference, just alternate them in pattern. All in it was maybe $70 and a couple hours- a decent chunk of that was removing one of the exhaust flange bolts that twisted off removing the exhaust.

I don't really have a favorite, I've used Barnett and EBC clutches and had good results with both.

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
Just an FYI in the Barnett springs. Over the years, members have had issues with their clutch cables snapping because of the Barnett springs requiring substantially more force to break the clutch plate free. One in particular had to have his C50 serviced when he rode to the Gettysburg rally in 2014, then in 2017 he circumnavigated the country and had to have the clutch cable changed again when it broke in California.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts