Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This one won't fix itself. 3 docs now confirmed. The two broken ends are separated and overlap each other by more than an inch. Due to vacations, New Year's Eve is the earliest.

The pain gets more tolerable every day since things are scarring up.

I've been thinking like a mad man as to what I could have done. The only thing I can think of is "bazazz" but I don't think they make it for that bike.

·
Administrator
5,973 Posts
This one won't fix itself. 3 docs now confirmed. The two broken ends are separated and overlap each other by more than an inch. Due to vacations, New Year's Eve is the earliest.

I've been thinking like a mad man as to what I could have done. The only thing I can think of is "bazazz" but I don't think they make it for that bike.
That's nuts! One would think you lived in Lower Slobbovia, not New Jersey. :crying:

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
To be fair. 2 Docs that could have done it are either booked then going on vacation, or going on vacation. This is a bad time of year to be on your arse!

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
So Saturday morning it was time to give the new GSXR-750 a winter ride to keep her in shape. I looked out the window a few times at the road on a 37 degree morning and kept thinking, maybe not. But I did anyway. Warmed her up, and then took off up my street. 50 yards later, hit the throttle a bit.....too much.

The back tire wanted to race the front tire. Uh oh. Not good. Counter steer left, counter steer right, counter steer left. See Ya. The bike threw me off like a wild mustang. I came down on my left shoulder and left side of my head. And went sliding after the "cracking impact" along side my bike. Winter riding guarantees ATGATT. No doubt in my mind my full face helmet saved my life and all the gear worked as intended.

Never blacked out. Got up worried about the damage to my bike. Got up looked at it, spoke to the neighbor that came out to see if I was alright. I said I was even though my shoulder was killing me.

Walked over to the bike and tried to pick her up, but the pain in my left side wouldn't let me. So I turned my back on her, lifted her up with my right hand high enough to get my big ass butt in the game. Then turned, with pain mounted her (yeah baby), pushed my mirror back and rolled back down the hill to my driveway. Started her up and rode to the front of the garage.

Stepped into the house and pulled my helmet off with my right hand. Couldn't do much with my left. I decided to drive myself to the ER just a few miles down the road. I chose self service parking because I am too cheap for valet. Getting the parking ticket became quite the challenge and comedy.

Xrays show a broken collar bone. I thought I was going to pass out but I didn't. I waited to do it back in the ER while sitting in front of my girlfriend. I wish I had a video of her running and screaming for help. If you knew her well enough, you would agree with me.

Spent the weekend in the hospital waiting for surgery as an add on. No luck, too many more important trauma surgeries going on. Now I'm home and hoping to schedule for this week. The breake is near the shoulder and they recommend plates and screws.

Needless to say, the family full court press is on for me to give it up.

Thanks for reading.

Hi my VR friend! I've lived that story! A few details are different, but the outcome was the same. I still have the titanium plate, and although I got similar speeches from my family, I returned to riding with a vengeance... a little wiser for the experience! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

Yes, the pain will diminish, but without the surgery there will be no strength to that arm. For some cases, the surgery is the only way to recover full use and strength to the arm. Post surgery, they will tell you about the movement and lifting limits- NO cheating! You can do a lot of damage by trying to over-do your activity before the bone fragments have had a chance to rejoin. You will probably be having Physical Therapy for a couple of months to rebuild the strength. No snow shoveling for you! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Bad time of the year to be laid up with pain. I hope the surgery and rehab get you back to 100% before riding season. Enjoy the holiday season as best you can.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
In the "Twist of the Wrist II" they show a guy riding into a slick spot with a contraption that doesn't let the bike hit ground but does let it fall over. When the rider corrects for the slick spot and wiggle on the bike, he goes down. When the rider doesn't try to correct himself but lets the bike correct itself, he stays up and rides off. I try to keep this in mind but it can be hard to let the bike correct itself. I am sure there are others who can give some insight into this.
I ordered the DVD. All I have been doing is watching Sons of Anarchy and Twist of the Wrist DVD (over and over). Wow did I do everything wrong. Crazy part is I can't wait to get back on the bike and start over.......I guess its deep in my DNA now.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
.......I guess its deep in my DNA now.
If it's not embedded in you, then the asphalt is.

I always find stories like Nzinga's and this one encouraging; that you are all so willing to get back up and ride again.

Hope you'll be up riding soon.

·
Administrator
29,600 Posts
My only serious crash resulted from me overestimating traction on a superslab. Get better Myron. Just remember, bones heal, chicks dig scars and the U.S. Has the highest pretty nurse/daredevil ratio in the world.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
I ordered the DVD. Crazy part is I can't wait to get back on the bike and start over.......I guess its deep in my DNA now.
If you are determined to learn how to do better, then you will do better. Good for you!!

Still looking at surgery on the 31st?

41 - 60 of 207 Posts