Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 VL800 has the fan coming on a lot. Seems to come on whenever I stop.

Bike is new to me. Got it home and had the cooling system flushed and pressure tested after I inspected the coolant reservoir which was empty except for some sludge.

Over temp light never comes on.

It is hot and humid here running about 28 C (82F).

Is this unusual? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
As long as it's cycling and doesn't stay on continuously, it's just doing its job. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Whiskey. I appreciate the advice.

Guess i’m Just surprised with how hot this thing runs. My old bikes were all air cooled so didn’t Have this issue

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
That explains it, you just aren't used to hearing a fan. I've got a 2000 BMW RT and it's air-cooled. With an air-cooled bike you've got different issues, like it overheating when you get stuck in traffic. The fan is fine. It will cycle when it wants to and you'll get used to hearing it and start tuning it out eventually. If you don't hear it coming on during warm days, you see the temp gauge going up, or you notice that it never seems to shut off, then you can worry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still, reading people’s posts on fan for these bikes, many say they rarely come on.

·
Super Moderator
56,242 Posts
Mine doesn't have a fan. You just roll the throttle forward to turn off a cylinder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have done the flush anyway, just would have taken the time to read the manual and do it myself rather than pay a shop.

Went on a test ride of a Zero SR electric the other day. Was great not to have heat coming off the engine on a hot day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Makes me feel better. It has been a hot summer in Ontario as well, but I like it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts