Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Boulevard that i purchased from a fellow who did not drive it much and it had a rats nest in the air filter. I cleaned the bike up from tire to tire...put sea foam in the tank and changed all the oils and did all the necessary maintenance. I know the bike outside in the elements for a year, not ridden much at all but covered somewhat...

I noticed that when I am in second gear going about 20 to 30 MPH does not matter accelerating or decelerating the bike has a hiccup and looses power it sounds like there is a click fight before it happens, I pin pointed it I think to the carburetor. Its almost like if the carb had water in it. I have not taken apart the carb yet, but I wanted to see if you all have any suggestions before I dive into it....

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
If you have a carburetor on an '05, you most definitely have a problem. :D :wink:

If it's a C50, it's fuel injected and you don't have a carb.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. I would remove the tank and fully inspect all the hoses running all over the top of the engine. If a fuel line has a tiny pinhole, it can suck in just a small bubble of air that can cause this temporary hickup. Start with the fuel hoses and remove them completely from the bike, sling it around to get the fuel all the way out of it. Spread some soapy water on the outside and blow into it plugging one end. If bubbles form on the outside of the hose under preasure, you've got a leak.

Even if you don't find a leak, I would still replace all the hosing under the tank (air and fuel) just because the bike sat outside for so long. [And with a rats nest to boot]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the wrong terminology...anyone else have any suggestions...I will check the hoses, and replace them

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
I agree with NewRider26.....remove the tank and inspect everything rubber. Who knows what that rodent nibbled on.
I once had an old truck that ran fine at low speeds around town but out on the open highway at speed it would cough, sputter an die.
Turned out the rubber fuel line was age cracked and when the fuel pump got up to speed, the extra vacuum was pulling air into the fuel line.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Stuff! Its supposed to be a nice day here in St. Louis. I might get to it tonight. Do you think its kinda weird that it only happens at lower speeds, or you think that I cannot hear it when I get going faster. I would think I could feel it loose power, but its a strong bike and I am a big boy, never has it happened at high speeds.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Forgot to ask....does it resume normal running by it self or do you have to shut it off and re-start it. You mentioned a click, as in an electrical relay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As far as the reasons for it only happening at lower speeds I would venture to guess it's probably either happening at cruising speeds and your just not feeling it, or it's only happening at those speeds because there's that magic preasure inside the fuel line that borders between a vacuous flow that CAN pull air through a leak and a high preasure situation that would leak fuel before it sucks in air. That make sense?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Windburn Bill said:
Forgot to ask....does it resume normal running by it self or do you have to shut it off and re-start it. You mentioned a click, as in an electrical relay.
I'd bet a dollar he's hearing a pop coming from the airbox. Hearing a relay cruising down the road would be some seriously good hearing considering I'm fairly sure the closest relay is near the ground on the left side. I think. . .not sure about the 05's, but that's where my relays are.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike stays running without any problem...I think the hiccup is coming from, pardon my ignorance on the shift side of my c50 the chrome cover, I think called the 2nd air valve cover. I think I pin pointed it to there. Its almost like a very very small back fire almost...Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's the PAIR valve sounds like the root of your problem. Vacum leak thru it making a lean condition, resulting in the lean backfire. You can find plenty of info here on removing it.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
or you find the leak and fix it and leave the pair alone. On the '05 and up they are solinoid controled and work better than the early carb bikes one which was vaccumm acuated.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Does this occur when the bike is fully warmed up or only in the first 10-20 minuets it has been running? My carbed bike does this when it is cold and it is below 50 deg outside. I need to go 1 step on the pilot jet but haven't taken the time to install a bigger one. Even w/fuel injection these bikes can be rather cold blooded.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
falling on its face

This happens every once in a while, it does not happen all the time, sometimes it does this a couple times a ride, and then non at all...It does not matter if it is cold or hot motor.

also to clear up something, its not a backfire per-say, not out of the tail pipe at all. Just out of the 2nd air cover on the clutch side of the bike. That is where I pin pointed the noise like I said a little before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
falling on its face

thank you all for the suggestions...I will let you know if this fixes it.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
A note on back fire.

As used above the correct term in afterfire.

A Backfire is fuel igniting and going back UP INTO the carbureator. Which could damage the the unit.

Afterfire is the "BANG" people hear out the tail pipe when excess fuel is ignites after the pistions during the exhaust cycle.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Re: falling on its face

woodrock01 said:
also to clear up something, its not a backfire per-say, not out of the tail pipe at all. Just out of the 2nd air cover on the clutch side of the bike. That is where I pin pointed the noise like I said a little before.
Is it possible the PAIR valve is defective and your getting a bit of back pressure thru it?

A little help from some of the others on this idea please.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Re: falling on its face

Hoses are probably rotten or ate by a varmint.

Windburn Bill said:
woodrock01 said:
Is it possible the PAIR valve is defective and your getting a bit of back pressure thru it?

A little help from some of the others on this idea please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts