Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
leaves...leaves.... and more leaves...

it's that time of year again...first drop I ever had with my bike was 4 months after I purchased my brand new 2004 volusia back in 04.

Simple enough scenerio...time of year leaves fall here in new england...also time of year the first frost hits...went to pick up the bike that had been overnight at the service and when I got home around noon...came down my driveway, hit my brakes and the next thing I knew I was under the bike. it all happened so quick...always does.

Luckily I was more shook than hurt and the bike came out of it with very little damage...bent heal shifter...more surprised it wasn't worse than that...

anyhow turns out I got laxed going down the driveway because the layer of leaves on top of the leaves in the driveway had been sitting in the sun all morning, so while "they" appeared crisp and dry and safe to ride thru, the layers of leaves under were still wet from the first frost of the season that had come the night before. Needless to say, when I hit the brakes, it was like braking on ice.

Remember telling my friend at work that day about what happened,,,a lifetime rider, and he told me that was probably the best thing that could happen this early in my riding career...maybe a little damage, but nobody hurt and a good wake up call how something so innocent can bite you at any time...be aware of situations like this and never let your guard down.

10 years later, I have the utmost respect for leaves...wet or dry.

Careful out there all...and enjoy the reminder of the riding season.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
fyi I count pine needles as leaves

·
Registered
23,543 Posts
More words of wisdom from an expert.
Thanks Dennis.
As a wise friend taught me: when you feel you have it under control and nothing will happen, it's going to jump up and teach you how little you know.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
leaves...leaves.... and more leaves...

it's that time of year again...first drop I ever had with my bike was 4 months after I purchased my brand new 2004 volusia back in 04.

Simple enough scenerio...time of year leaves fall here in new england...also time of year the first frost hits...went to pick up the bike that had been overnight at the service and when I got home around noon...came down my driveway, hit my brakes and the next thing I knew I was under the bike. it all happened so quick...always does.

Luckily I was more shook than hurt and the bike came out of it with very little damage...bent heal shifter...more surprised it wasn't worse than that...

anyhow turns out I got laxed going down the driveway because the layer of leaves on top of the leaves in the driveway had been sitting in the sun all morning, so while "they" appeared crisp and dry and safe to ride thru, the layers of leaves under were still wet from the first frost of the season that had come the night before. Needless to say, when I hit the brakes, it was like braking on ice.

Remember telling my friend at work that day about what happened,,,a lifetime rider, and he told me that was probably the best thing that could happen this early in my riding career...maybe a little damage, but nobody hurt and a good wake up call how something so innocent can bite you at any time...be aware of situations like this and never let your guard down.

10 years later, I have the utmost respect for leaves...wet or dry.

Hello Dennis.

Thanks for the reminder and yes, dry leaves can be VERY slippery.

I will do that ^ as soon as I get my bike seat back from Mean City Cycles. They are going to reshape it to hopefully fit my butt better than it does now.

I have to change my signature picture as soon as I get done working on Dr. Pepper. I have added a large hard case and back rest so far. Now I just need my seat back to try things out. I am still playing with the handle bars to get them right. I have change them twice so far.

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. And for us southerners, it doesn't take frost to do it. A pile of wet leaves can be slicker than owl s**t! :bigoops:

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Dennis.

Thanks for the reminder and yes, dry leaves can be VERY slippery.

I will do that ^ as soon as I get my bike seat back from Mean City Cycles. They are going to reshape it to hopefully fit my butt better than it does now.

I have to change my signature picture as soon as I get done working on Dr. Pepper. I have added a large hard case and back rest so far. Now I just need my seat back to try things out. I am still playing with the handle bars to get them right. I have change them twice so far.
hope the seat mod comes out well rich...maybe well get to share a lunch at one of the Four Bros on the NY line before the season runs out...will keep you posted...looking forward to seeing your new additions.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Thanks Dennis!
I was gonna put the same post out there. Ohio has some really nice foliage too, but have to remember while looking at the trees, keep an eye on the road leaves too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
+1 on the pine straw (somewhere above)

And today it was acorns. Pulled into a parking lot and got into an acorn patch...like ball bearings all over the place

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Lets not forget falling walnuts. Thing are like baseballs

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sun came out this afternoon so I decided to go for a short ride after the Eagles beat Houston, about 4:00 PM, temperature 38 degrees and VERY windy. Dressed in the same clothing that I wear when using my snowblower, including my Thinsulate gloves with extra long cuffs (like ski gloves) that include battery powered heat on the back of the fingers. Did not need the heat until about 40 minutes into the ride when the tips got a bit numb. Leaves blowing all over the place, including wet ones remaining on the road after yesterday's rain. Throughout the ride I kept reminding myself of Dennis's leaf caution and took extra care whenever I encountered a leafy patch. All in all, a pleasant, comfortable ride. Anxious to see how I stand the ride when the temperature drops to 32 or below. I have not done that for decades.

·
Super Moderator
25,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my first year of winter riding bought a pair of snowmobile riding pants.....looked dorky but was toasty warm. May have to dig them out and use them at least once for old times sake.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of the gripes I have about getting older is the lack of blood flow to the extremities like finger tips and the tips of my toes, that is where I really feel the cold. Lack of blood flow to other extremities just make me feel old, not cold.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I also do not like when folks blow their fresh cut grass on the road, especially at a curve...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.