Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my '09 C50 back in October of last year. It's my first bike and initially I was pleased with it.....until I saw what these things look like when they're bobbed. Now I'm completely hooked on bobbing this thing and making it into the kind of bike I actually fantasized about having as a kid.Most of the work I am doing to it right now is all performance related as its freezing here and the bike is put up in storage until it warms up. When I bought it it already had Vance & Hines Straightshots installed on it. I was told the cylinders had been bored but I think the seller was just blowing smoke and wanted to get rid of the bike. It wasn't well taken care of so I started my project by going through and cleaning the frame and all components and replacing any parts that were worn, bent, or scratched. I had a full tune up performed and all the clutch cables adjusted into spec. The fenders are off as well as the seat and tank. As of Saturday the left side of the engine has been De-PAIRed and looks much cleaner. I'm still on the fence about doing a K&N filter or streamlining and putting UNI filter under the tank but regardless the next step is going to be to pick up a Gman controller and battery. Once that is all out of the way a set of Metzeler wide whitewalls will be going on as well as a DJ Drive I just picked up from Vol4Life and I'll be on to actually bobbing the bike.

The idea I'm having is to go with a Blue Collar Bobber kit (I know, it's not super original, but I'm hoping the paint scheme and a few other things will really set this apart) and paint this up with a paint scheme similar to what many fighter squadrons used on their F-86's back in the Korean War: Yellow stripes outlined in black with the star and bar and checkering on the rear on top of a polished metal surface - Like the picture below.

The front fender will have the yellow strip running centerline, the rear fender will have either the stripe or checkerboard pattern with a stenciled on tail number on one sir and possible "U.S. AIR FORCE" stenciled on the other, and the tank will have the yellow stripe running at an angle on both sides of the tank as seen in the picture as well as a star and bar on each side. There may also be some markings on the tank near the fuel cap and front of tank as well but its another item I am on the fence about. The main dilemma is getting a uniform metal finish on both the fenders and the tank. The fenders being aluminum and the tank being steel means there would be different metal coloring so I'm not sure how to approach that. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as I would love as much input on this as possible.

Next I would like to install a cafe fairing (not typical on these bikes, I know) that somewhat replicates the front end of the sabre with the headlight taking the place of the intake on the jet. So far what I have found is something like this:

I have purchased a panel from the inside of an actual Sabre jet which I would mount inside the fairing and under the windshield. On that panel there will be a tach, winding cockpit clock, the Gman controller, power indicator lights, a spring loaded toggle switch for starting the bike, and a small reproduction aircraft information plate from North American Aviation with the serial number from the rear fender engraved on it.

I'd like for the fairing to be painted in the same metallic color, with matte black on the "nose" just as the real one did to cover the radar cover and possibly airbrushed machine gun ports.

So that was a pretty long description haha. I have some other little ideas here and there I'm toying with but that's pretty much the gist of it. I'm hoping to have this all completed by the time summer hits here so I can enjoy it in its entirety. Again, if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a good place in Nebraska to have the paintwork done please let me know. I've got plenty of technical questions with all the performance mods I'll be doing so if I don't find anything via that handy dandy search button I'll definitely be posting some questions. I look forward to hearing opinions, getting some help from all you more experienced riders and gear heads, and keeping this thread updated as I go along.

Here's a link to the online Google album I'll be throwing photos in for the time being. I'll add photos as I progress with everything.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108284322373132082568/albums/5971030451866028689?banner=pwa

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I dig the concept, can't wait to see the finished product! P.S. how much were the whitewalls?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cylinders bored on an '09? Questionable.

Otherwise, as long as it's running fine, good luck with your vision. It should look awesome when you're done. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I think you have a great concept. Here's a couple pics of a bobber I built a few years ago. I retired from this ANG base.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I'm excited to get this thing further progressed as right now it's pretty slow doing all the pricey performance stuff first. I actually had a few concerns if anyone has some expertise in this. First, is there any kind of negatives to removing the PAIR valve on FI models? I haven't been able to find any hard numbers on here. Second, even though I'm wanting the clean jugs look, would it be more beneficial concerning performance to move the air filter under the tank or do something like a K&N or a spectra cone filter?

I dig the concept, can't wait to see the finished product! P.S. how much were the whitewalls?
I got the Metzeler WW 880's on Amazon as they seemed to have the best price. The front was $170 and the rear was $191 so not too bad overall.

Cylinders bored on an '09? Questionable.

Otherwise, as long as it's running fine, good luck with your vision. It should look awesome when you're done. Keep us posted.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be the first thing the seller wasn't completely truthful about with me concerning the bike so I'm probably going to just assume the engine is completely stock haha. I'm hoping it turns out the way I'm picturing it in my head lol.

I also like the concept and the fact that your doing it to a c50. Proceed with confidance my friend!
Thanks Polo!

Seen this ad on cl if your looking for a painter or just ideas.
WILL AIRBRUSH ON YOUR GAS TANK/FENDERS
Thanks for the link! I'm digging the aviation theme he has going on all his stuff.

Check out NasBan's bike to get an idea of what the cafe fairing will look like.
(Which I think is pretty [email protected])

From this thread on making the C50 into a cafe racer...
http://www.volusiariders.com/47-custom-mods/220608-cafe-racer.html
It's funny, that was one of the pictures that I was looking when deciding what to do with the bike. I really like how he did the tank, kind of remove some of that fatness it has to it. I agree with you though, the fairing does look pretty good on it. A concern I have with the one I'm looking at is that the height and such will be completely wrong. I have plenty of time to get it figured out though i suppose haha.

I can't wait to see your progressive pictures of this project. Sounds like a lot of fun. Being a former Air Force crew chief, I like this idea. Good luck with the build.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My dad was a crew chief in the AF as well! He was in during southeast asia on KC-135A & Q models as well as B-52D's. What did you work on?

Sabre/ I like your idea but was wondering how that would work for long road trips. God bless & go for it.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that as well. The new drive should help but I'd just have to travel light with a pack or something I think. Eventually I want to get an actual cruiser like an Indian or something like that. This will be more of my fun bike but if the spring seat is as comfortable as everyone says then I may be ok with doing road trips on it.

I think you have a great concept. Here's a couple pics of a bobber I built a few years ago. I retired from this ANG base.
That's a great looking bike, I like the colors and leather accents on it. Oh and of course the P-80 in the back ;). How long did it take you to do? What did you do while you were in the AF?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I built the bobber from a totalled bike over the course of a winter, from start to finish probably 6 months.

I was Active Duty for 4 years, Nellis AFB '73 to '77, F105, F4, F111, A7.

I went full time ANG with no break in service, '77 until retirement 2009. Retired as an E9, 36 years total TIS. Flight line maintenance, A7 and F16 crew chief and flight chief.
Wrapped my last two years up as Branch Chief and 12th AF Inspector General Office conducting Unit Compliance Inspections.

·
Premium Member
9,333 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Saber, I was a crew chief on the KC-135R. I actually started active duty on the C-141B cargo plane, then went to the Wisconsin Air National Guard on the KC. Those were some if the best days of my life flying with the KC. I was full time Guard like Viper. (Wow, Russ, I knew you retired ANG but didn't know you were a Chief!) I then left the Guard and went to the AF Reserves as a straight reservist and worked HC-130's in a combat rescue unit. Got activated again after 9/11 and spent some more time in the desert. After 12 years, I figured that was enough for me and got out. I am currently working in civilian aviation. You could say my military training has provided a good career for me. Now, all I want to do is tool around on motorcycles!! Lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got the Metzeler WW 880's on Amazon as they seemed to have the best price. The front was $170 and the rear was $191 so not too bad overall.

Dennis kirk has them for $300 for both free shipping. 150/80/16 and 170/80/15 Metzler WWW

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Apologies for the extremely late replies here, work and life has gotten really crazy so spare time stuff like the forum has ended up taking a back seat. I have made some progress on the bike though but I'll get to that in just a second.

472Viper: Oh wow, you're a retired Chief? That's badass, my father and you would have lots of stuff to talk about. He did a bit of work on F-111's (not nearly as much time on the tankers and bombers though). For inspections did you ever make it out to Offutt? In particular, the 1st ACCS.

Sweetlu: Yeah, his bike looks radically different in a good way. Even though I like the floorboards for cruising I really do see some appeal to the way he moved the foot controls and pegs. Mine is coming along slowly but surely, but it's always about money so I'm slowing down a little now that it's back to being road-worthy haha.

DannyRider: Same as Viper you and my Dad would have tons to talk about. He actually did something similar to you when he left active duty he went Guard for a long time with the 129th Air Rescue (if memory serves) working on UH-1's, 130's, and I believe even a Cobra or two. Depending on how the next few years go I think that'll determine if I re-up or go Guard/Reserve. I'm with you on the aviation aspect though, I love aircraft and hope that I can keep working with them. As far as bikes, hell if you've got the time what better thing to do? I can't believe it took me this long to get into riding, but that's another thing the air force has enabled me to do that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

So as far as the bike, I have some new pictures up on the initial weblink but I'l put some of them up here. Right now I still need a solo bag, fenders, paint, exhaust wrap, drag bars, and grips. So far I have the spring seat, covers, bullet lights, '32 ford tail light, Bully controller, whitewalls, DJ drive, barnett clutch plates and springs, and g-pops put on. Before all of the internal items and whitewalls went on I did a test ride with a buddy of mine to make sure everything was good and I ended up dropping it for the first time when I hit a wet patch of gravel. Felt pretty stupid but fortunately there wasn't much damage except to the air box and a few scratches on the handle bar and pipes (which were going to be covered by exhaust wrap eventually anyhow). Until I can get a hold of an actual intake for the bike I cannabalized the air box, which had ben torn off the bike, and used parts from it to make a pseudo velocity stack intake with a zip tied cage inside that holds a piece of filter foam in place. So anyhow, here's what it looks like right now (with a few shots I took of it while doing the work on it). Still a work in progress but I'm very happy with it so far and get looks everywhere I go with it as is.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
That's looking real good.

For inspections did you ever make it out to Offutt? In particular, the 1st ACCS.
Don't think we ever made Offutt. I did Unit Compliance Inspections primarily on ANG fighter Units. Oklahoma, California, Iowa, Arkansas, places like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts