Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Has anyone ever added an additional fuel tank to extend mileage or found an aftermarket larger fuel tank?
The C50 is not a good candidate for an extra tank because of room and the fuel injection system with the pump in the tank....

There is an extra tank available for the C90 from GMan... but you need to install an aftermarket exhaust to make it fit....

most carry an extra container of fuel in the saddle bag.... for emergencies.... :shades:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Has anyone ever added an additional fuel tank to extend mileage or found an aftermarket larger fuel tank?
What is your concern? There are only a few areas in the contiguous states that you would be hard pressed to find fuel within the C50 range. Even at interstate speed, 2-3 hour ride is about time to stop for a short break. Even carrying an extra fuel container requires you to stop and add fuel to the gas tank and that would be one gallon or an extra 40+ miles or 30-40 minute range. Not a big difference to make it worth it.
If your wanting to keep up with much bigger bikes, GW, Ultras, etc. ride your own ride.

RV

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Man... I don't know how you would be able to go over 100 miles without stopping. My butt would be sore way before that also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well; I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a aching butt after riding for just an hour. I thought it might just be my old age. So, how do we fix this problem. I'm looking into adding a gel pad between the foam and the leather cover on my seat. I've been contemplating a long ride from Texas to Colorado and I'd rather not have to stop every hour.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well; I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a aching butt after riding for just an hour. I thought it might just be my old age. So, how do we fix this problem. I'm looking into adding a gel pad between the foam and the leather cover on my seat. I've been contemplating a long ride from Texas to Colorado and I'd rather not have to stop every hour.
There are lots of aftermarket seats out there. I have a Mustang seat and it's very comfortable, huge improvement over the stock saddle.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Ultimate Seat

See their post in the vendor/advertiser section.

My normal ride is 1.5 hours every day. Never have a butt problem. And the few times I have gone longer, never a problem.

be good

Richard Boroff

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
there are several companies that make fuel cells / auxillary tanks. example:

Tour Tank Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for Motorcycles

the aux tank would be piped into the main tank by either gravity feed or a pump in the aux tank.

my bike can get around 275 miles on a tank, i normally stop to re-fill between 200 and 250.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 05 C50SE with 80,000 Kms. I added a Mustang Seat the first year and it was the best money I spent . It will raise you up an inch and forward an inch. The back support is really great. I have done 3-4 tanks days but most are 1 or 2.
The seat is well worth the money. I paid $345 US new. Watch for buys used or new.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The Mustang seat set up will solve many of the butt sore issues. I rode from Houston to Boulder over 4 days ride and felt comfortable all day long. Each day was slightly less than 400 miles or 10 hrs including fuel stops, lunch and scenic views. My suggestion is to modify the MC seat with whatever you can afford with a new seat, more padding, or add-on accessory. I also ride with bicycle padded shorts under my riding pants. Helps a lot. Work up to those all day rides little by little and train your body to have lots of seat time before you head out to CO.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I chose to go with a backrest rather than spending the $$$ on a new seat. The Mustang seats are very nice, I'm sure there are others. My stock seat and Grasshopper backrest allow me to ride as long as I want, sometimes 6-7 hours in one day (not continuous)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Get yourself a Mustang or Ultimate seat and a driver's backrest and you will ride all day with no issues.

If it were me I would start searching e-bay and craigslist for a used Mustang seat.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I used to use a grasshopper backrest which was really nice. However, I bought a mustang last year and its even better. I have a bad lower back and I have ridden more than five hours in a day with that seat.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If you can't afford the aftermarket seats you might try the Homeboy mod. I did it on my Vol and really liked the softer feel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
USA Cruiser

The name is "The Ultimate Seat" and they have an email in the sponsor section at the end of the list of forum topics.

It really is the ultimate seat, very comfortable.

I have an 01 Vol

Be good

Richard Boroff

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have the Mustang Seat with Grasshopper Backrest. Great comfort. And the range for me is good.
From the look of your picture you may already have the Mustang Seat. The Grasshopper backrest is a nice addition.
If you do have the mustang seat it still takes a few longer rides to develop your riding muscles.:biglaugh:

When I am riding off the beaten path I already have a GPS in the saddle bags useful for directions to nearby gas. If I know I am going into an area without much traffic, no cell service, and few Gas stations I will add one or two metal quarts of Gas in the saddle bags. The extra saddle bag gas coupled with the GPS directions hopefully will get me too a gas station or at least to cell service. As a last resort you can often wave down a passing vehicle.

The secret to not running out of gas is too occasionally look at a working gas gauge or odometer. However, If you ride in an area of Texas with very few gas stations. Carrying more gas in an extra tank may be an ideal solution but no matter how much gas you start with the gas remaining aboard must be enough to get too the nearest gas station. Or you could wind up walking.:crying:

In really remote areas Farmers/Ranchers often have their private supplies of gas and might be willing to help out a motorcyclist. Carry some emergency cash money.

At 80-90mph you will need to stop for gas every hour. At 70-80mph or so you will need to stop for gas about every 1 1/2 Hours. Or at 60-70mph you will need to stop for gas about every 2 1/2 Hours. Overcoming wind resistance is the problem with higher speeds and a head wind or tail wind can have a big effect on the MPG at MPH averages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had to seat of a few times lately to install wiring for my upgraded light bar wattage and a power supply for my GPS and I have not see any markings to indicate that the seat is a mustang seat. In any case; I can only ride for about an hour. I hope you are right about strengthening my glutes. I just began riding again two months ago after many years of no riding. I hope adding a gel insert will also help. Some better handle bar grips may also help. Thanks to everyone for your comments and recommendations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts