Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. This is the first bike I've actually owned instead of riding my friends bikes. I would love to buy some Vance Hines pipes but their out of my price range right now. But I want that ear shaking rumble. I've spoken with many people about de-baffling my exhaust. Some have told me that it works great and easy to do (according to the youtube videos Ive watched). And I've bee told that it works but soon and eventually it screws with the back pressure on the motor, which I don't wanna screw up and spend more in the long run. Can anyone maybe a certified mechanic on here give me any advise...yay nor nay and why?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Debaffled mine today and knocking out the mickeys tomorrow! Won't mess up anything unless you change your intake air then you need processor or reject. Lovin being able to hear it rumble for nothing more than a couple hours in the garage.

·
Administrator
57,118 Posts
Welcome Aboard, sdetaeye79!

Best advice I can give to You is to save a few bucks, and maybe buy good, used accessory pipes from a member of this forum, in the Swap Meet area, or just save for new accessory pipes.

Why?

Because altering Your factory pipes is permanent, and should You decide to sell the machine later on, You'll have unmolested stock pipes available to replace the aftermarket loud pipes.
Some folks won't buy a bike with loud pipes.

Of course, then You could easily sell those accessory pipes, and put the cash back into Your pocket, instead of into someone else's pocket.

As far as back pressure goes, there seems to be a subjective, but definite relationship between exhaust system back pressure, and maximum torque output.
VR member Gman, who markets a high quality fuel controller, determined that accessory pipes, (or modified stock pipes), do little to enhance motor performance on the C50 machine.

Rather, He found that the utmost horsepower and torque gains are achieved through modification on the intake side of the motor.
Hence, the fuel controller and lower restriction air filter mods are the key to better performance.

I wouldn't worry about motor degradation due to replacement of the factory pipes with accessory pipes, or with modification of the stock units.
However, should You opt for the accessory pipes, it is preferable, ie, many VR members prefer to add a fuel controller to enhance their Motorcycle's performance along with the new pipes.

BTW: I have a 4 year auto mechanics diploma, including one year of engineering college prep school (machine design), along with 5 years past employment, in an automotive transmission & motorcycle repair shop (plus snowmobile repairs), so I have (at least), a faint idea of motorcycle mechanics. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.