Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a new set of Cobra Street Rods on my C50. When we took out the stock pipes we were amazed that there were no gaskets! At least none that we could see. We poked in, cleaned around the hole etc... and nothing. Is this true? We installed them anyway and there are no detectable leaks. Should I purchase new gasket and re-install?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Are you POSITIVE the old ones are not in there. They are an odd looking duck and not easily recognizable. These are a "crush gasket". compressed wire, (looks like really fine steel wool) between a copper looking formed shell. Old ones will be sooty black and as far back in the exhaust port as it goes. I can't believe you could install pipes with no gasket at all and not have an exhaust leak. At least not for very long. As the exhaust pipe bolts draw the flange and pipe to the exhaust port, this gasket "crushes" to form around the the circumference of the pipe to form a seal.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! 472Viper. I just needed some confirmation that I wasn't crazy... They were there as you said "sooty black". I will buy new ones and replace them...

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Almost always they are stuck way back in the recess, (where they are supposed to be) black with soot so they look like they are part of the head. I have a cotter pin extractor, (left over from my aviation days) I used to hook mine and pull 'em out. It may very well be possible for the old crush gasket to form well enough around the new pipe to seal, but it is better to replace with new, I still maintain you WILL have an exhaust leak with nothing in there. 472viper

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What exactly does an exhaust leak sound like/do? Just wondering cause when I travel at a steady thirty miles an hour I usually hear a noise like a rush of air or something coming from the motor area. Its very fast and very short. This is only at a constant 30mph though?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
That's kinda hard to answer. What brand exhaust do you have and how loud is it. I installed HK strippers on mine and I don't know if I would "hear" a leak if I had one. You would be able to feel exhaust leaking around where the exhaust flange draws the pipe into the head,(not easy to do while riding and not recommended). Try doing it with the bike in neutral and bring it up to about the same rpm as you have when you hear it while riding. An even better tell tale sign is a sooty discoloration around the pipe at the area where it enters the head, that's a dead give away. You might check the bolts that draw it tight, with constant heating and cooling they are notorious for being loose. They need to be snug........then just a LITTLE more. DON'T SNAP 'EM OFF!!
I asked the "loctite" guy on this site about loctite and exhaust bolts, I always thought that was forbidden, but he thought blue would be OK.
Any one else got a thought on that?

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
uumm if you have an exhaust leak you'll likely know about it. You'll likely have a lot of popping, sometimes some pretty flames AND you can feel it if you stick your hand down there.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Right, and that is associated with a gasket failure, (portion of the gasket has burned or blown out) leaving space for large amount of exhaust gas to exit pass the pipe instead instead of through it. Loose exhaust bolts will cause this to happen by letting gases escape past the gasket and begin the deterioration process, (usually a hissing or abnormal "air" noise before popping and flames) Maintaining a good seal with that gasket will prevent this.......check those bolts. Viper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
viper:

I bought the gaskets yesterday. They are not "crush" type. They are metal O rings type. So still shocked that I couldn't find the old ones. I will install the new ones this weekend....

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can get you the crush style. If want, you can exchange the ones you have for the crush style. No cost and free shipping for Volusia members.

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
monty said:
viper:

I bought the gaskets yesterday. They are not "crush" type. They are metal O rings type. So still shocked that I couldn't find the old ones. I will install the new ones this weekend....
They're there, I promise. They're either sucked up to the phlange on the exhaust pipe or the cylinder head. They don't look like they're there though...seriously. But if you're going to replace them you REALLY need to dig around and find the old ones and get them out of there. If you don't you may get an exhaust leak. If I'm wrong, I'm SURE someone will be HAPPY to step in here and let me know!
:lol:

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
:lol: actually, no, I wasn't even considering you. There are plenty of people around here to voice their opinions, and a lot of times they're right on the money.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Vol does have exhaust gaskets, just pry it out with a small flathead screwdriver.
Bought new ones the other day, and yes the old ones look like they are part the the cylinder head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky said:
I can get you the crush style. If want, you can exchange the ones you have for the crush style. No cost and free shipping for Volusia members.
After further review they indeed are copper crush type. I will install them tomorrow....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Born2bWild said:
monty said:
viper:
They're there, I promise. They're either sucked up to the phlange on the exhaust pipe or the cylinder head. They don't look like they're there though...seriously. But if you're going to replace them you REALLY need to dig around and find the old ones and get them out of there. If you don't you may get an exhaust leak. If I'm wrong, I'm SURE someone will be HAPPY to step in here and let me know!
:lol:
I will definitely make sure that the old ones are taken out!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts