Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to play with the exhaust on my bike, remove baffles, or other mods. But I don't want to mess up my stock exhaust. I guess I want to experiment to find the right mod for me. My bike is a 2012 c50t. I have found several other stock exhaust systems, but don't know what years will fit my bike. I have seen a 2006, 2009 and 2010 available.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Define experiment???
Remove baffles will be loud...
Cut or drills holes is permanent, but sounds better than no baffles...
Research or Google sound clips of your said bike...doable, but sound is so subjective if not in persons...Go to bike rallies, shows, meet and greets, barnyard bashes and listen to a few exhaust systems and decide...
good luck in your search..Best, D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I know how sound is so subjective. That's why I want to try a couple different options on 'donner' pipes to find the note I like.
Funny thing, every bike I've seen since I bought mine is stock. Every one I saw before was modded in one way or another. Go figure?

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
Unless your bike has o2 sensors in the header pipe, then any year will work with your bike. Underneath it all, Suzuki is using the same engine and transmission it started with all the way back in 2001. In 2010-ish, they made some changes, including a new saddle, new fender with LED lights and introduced a dual spark cylinder head to comply with emissions requirements, but everything underneath remains the same.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Physically 2001-present exhausts will fit, the only difference is 2009/10 or so the bike started having o2 sensors, so exhausts for years prior to that will not have the bungs for them. If fitting a newer exhaust to a non-o2 bike, you can just plug the bungs with a suitable bolt. Vice versa you'd either have to cut holes/weld bungs, or delete the o2 sensor. Tuner companies often sell "dummy" dongles that plug into the bike in place of an o2 sensor and more or less fool the bike into thinking it's still present, and everything's fine. Otherwise if you add a fuel controller, the bike will just tune-out whatever the controller is doing when it sees it's running richer/leaner than it expects so you have to disable it's closed-loop tuning function.

Stock exhausts are generally easy to find. Check craigslist or bike specific classifieds. Shipping them is usually prohibitively expensive- bulky and heavy, try to find one locally. Sometimes you can look for ads for that bike for sale, with aftermarket exhaust, call them up and ask if they still have the stock, and if so if they are willing to sell it separate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I removed the baffles and rear plates from the stock pipes on my '17 C50T. It's louder than stock, but much quieter than Cobra's or V&H's. And with the changing of the air filter to a K&N, my HP and gas mileage is better than stock (except when I'm haulin' azz down the highway at 90 which sucks gas anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts