Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a ride with my '06 C50 with someone on a VL800 with Cruzers - (I think). They were V&H regardless and LOUD-LOUD-LOUD-PLEASE KILL ME-LOUD! I assume the baffles were gone because I've heard other bikes that sounded good with them. After the first 10 or 15 minutes I almost regretted taking the 150 mile round trip ride and being as I didn't know where we were headed, I had to follow behind the entire time. I couldn't even hear my own bike and wondered if it was still running. Even though we have pretty much the same bike, his did sound like a much bigger engine, just annoying later on. The sound wasn't really all that deep, just loud.

I've read several posts and watched the videos on the subject, but wanted to get some input more direct to my situation.

I have stock pipes on now and want them louder and deeper. Not like the above scenario, just as much a nice rumble as I can get from the C50 and I like the look of them on the bike. The back plate was drilled by the PO, but I don't think the mickey plate was punched thru. I don't know what the original sound was to compare it to. If drilling the back plate would make it louder, I assume punching the mickey would make it deeper? Or would it increase the volume as well? I don't mind loud, I just don't want something like I described above or something I'd regret doing to my stock pipes.

2- I also have a set of Cobra Drag Pipes that are louder than the above description. If anyone has any experience with them, would buying baffles for them bring them down to an acceptable level that doesn't blow out people behind me with a more pleasant, louder sound?

I realize I won't have the sound of the larger engine on the HD's but I know there's got to be a balance between being loud and obnoxious with a nice low growl.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
No. There is no real in between. Drilling the back plate will give you more noise without going overboard, but anything beyond that and you're back into the stupid category again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm looking around online for some baffles for the Cobras. Seems like an affordable experiment to get a sound I want without doing anything more to the stocks. Considering I already have the Cobras, I figured I'd at least try before looking at other exhausts. Saw a post where someone used a sink stopper??

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Baffles help, but they turn the exhaust note into a tinny whump, which just sounds off..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You're not going to get a low rumble out of this engine with after market pipes - just loud. It's that the motor runs at a higher rpm and it's a higher pitch.

The best sound I've ever heard was on Mark's C50T - his bike had a 2-1 setup that you can't get new anymore but you might be able to find them used. They sounded awesome, on the video anyway. He hasn't posted for a while so think he's left the forum but do a search for his posts and you might find the info.

Oh - get ear plugs for the next time you ride with your buddy, it'll help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! $700 for those 2-1 is out of the upgrade budget but they really did sound nice...on the video. I think I'll keep what I got and enjoy my quiet rides through the country. ....and pack some earplugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's several examples of guys drilling holes in the end cap around the stock outlet pipe on You Tube... tough to experience "actual" sound as it will depend on your processor and speakers....
I opted for drilling 6, 3/8 holes in 6 gun revolver style around the end cap on mine.
Sounds pretty good. At neutral throttle ie riding around town it is a bit louder and throaty than stock but twist the throttle and they are plenty loud (for me) and a bit "barky". Which is to say NOT obnoxious and NOT as loud as the V&H straight shots... I know as I went out on a group ride last wknd and one of the guys had the same bike with the V&H on them.... I could hear him and I was 8 bikes back.. his regular riding buddies commented that they were TOO LOUD... nobody flagged me... so I rest my case.
To drill the six holes I made up a simple paper template. I think I used a beer can for the outter circle and a oil cap (a regular oil bottle not the wide mouth) for the inner circle.
Cut out the outer circle. Folded the circle in half and cut out the inner.
Folded it again a couple of times to lay out the 6 even folds. That'll give you even spacing to drill 6 holes. Draw another circle between the inner and outer circles if you have trouble with even spacing thru the middle where you'll drill the holes.
Explaining it all here would be too long, just cut out the circle and try folding it a couple of time ie in half twice will get you 4 lines if you only want 4 holes.
OR you can get really fancy and pull out your HS drafting kit and use a protractor and degree the paper.
Then just push the paper template over the inner pipe to hold it, center punch and drill.
Start with a smaller drill like a 1/8 or 3/16. Then moved to the 3/8. If that too hard for you or your drills are a bit dull... drill a second time with a 1/4 or so then drill with the 3/8.
Hope that helps.

New here so no sig line or pic yet.
Had lots of bikes from 80cc, 125cc, 650cc, 8 HD, yadda
Presently '04 Volusia
'06 Strat S

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts