Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw an ad on local Craigslist for Goldwing at an unbelievable price. Responded and found out the bike is in Maryland. Seller supposedly got the bike in a divorce, doesn't need it blah blah blah. Wants to ship it to me to inspect and if I don't want it ship it back. My better sense says "if its too good to be true it probably is " but it could be one helluva deal if its legit. Any experience with Ebay motors ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I bought my Volusia off eBay. It's a 04, I got it from a dealer up north for $4260, with 900 miles on it. Like new. This was 2 years ago March

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She didn't actually have the bike on Ebay. After I contacted her via email is when she said she wanted to do the tranaction through them............. :?

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
????and have to pay the fees??

maybe she's thinking of the whole 'paypal' secure $ part? and if THATS why, then you don't have to go thru ebay to pay for something with paypal.

????

huh? why would anyone do that?? you may want to contact her again, or see if she'll give you her phone #, so you can communicate a little quicker than via email.

and why would she want to spend $600+ to ship something if you're possibly gonna have to pay to ship it back if you don't like it?? and then she won't have physical possession of it. ??? BIG SIRENS going off on THAT part.. :?: :?: :?: :?:

stolen?? from ex??

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Sounds like a scam. I've been casually looking at car listings on Craigslist here lately. Daily there are these great looking cars priced way to low which are immediately flagged. Everytime pictures have no plates, no Craigslist reply or phone -- you have to reply to their personal email. I replied once to see what happened. Got an email two days later stating the guy was getting deployed overseas and needed to sell immediately.
Wanted to do the transaction through ebay to protect both sides -- you send money and they ship vehicle for your inspection. Right... I would stay far away.

On a side note, I bought my bike through ebay. Worked great, but seller was about 150 miles away, so I was able to check out the bike and seller in person as well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
www.escrow.com

If it's true, (which is doubtful), then you're protected and she's protected.

I've used them for some large equipment purchases/sales over the years. A couple of the sales were through Ebay.

Basically, they will not release funds to her until you have received the bike and had a chance to give it a good once over.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I'm gonna go with my gut instinct here. If it walks like a duck......! Too good to be true. @005 Goldwing, 2968 miles on it, 2 scratches on mirror and license plate bracket , some added accessories. Asking price $7,000.00 I looked at KBB and NADA and thats a $14,000 bike !! Looked again awhile ago. The craigslist ad is gone :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe a scam, maybe not. I'm getting really nice couches for FREE from a divorcée because he doesn't have the room or want them. Keep in mind shipping back and forth is about 1000 bucks. You'd save money flying there to look at it and flying back. Then if you like it, you can pay to have it shipped.

I did buy off of ebay. Seller was (luckily) two hours away. But overall, if the person wants to sell it through ebay, that's generally a good sign. They want receipts and records of the transaction.

Alexi

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's hard to tell... but there are a lot of scams that take place on Craigslist.

Make the offer to fly to the location and check out the bike. The response you get from that will tell you if the deal is real or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought my bike through ebay. I watched for bikes within 200 miles and eventually found one in Virginia. I am in Pa. I e-mailed the owner with questions and he agreed to meet me in Delaware. I had the chance to inspect and ride the bike and talk to the owner in person. (He was a VR member by the way and turned me on to the forum) We worked out a deal and I have been extremely satisfied with the transaction and the bike. You may want to try to do something like this if you are not in a hurry to buy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
jmax99 said:
On my way out the door...but, I'll bet if someone googled "used car scam on Craigslist" or something like that, something would probably come up.
I did, and you get page after page of scams. Most are similar to this one.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
jimr said:
Thanks all. I'm gonna go with my gut instinct here. If it walks like a duck......! Too good to be true. @005 Goldwing, 2968 miles on it, 2 scratches on mirror and license plate bracket , some added accessories. Asking price $7,000.00 I looked at KBB and NADA and thats a $14,000 bike !! Looked again awhile ago. The craigslist ad is gone :lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw a car on craigslist I wanted like that... I started emailing the guy back and forth, we got down to me flying out to buy it and drive it home or just turning around and flying back and all of the sudden the emails stopped... very peculier...

Was the item "Removed" or just gone? removed means she was trying to string a few guys just like you around at the same time...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Homless, I couldn't see where it was flagged for removal, it just wasn't there. Doesn't matter though. I'm not buying a bike unseen. Thanks again all , Ride Safe !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is a SCAM!!!!
Just helped out a friend w/ a simular issue...
We contacted Ebay,, they do NOT handel transactions that way, the item must be listed on Ebay, No thrid party listings.

Here is what they said in their email to us.

"There are a few signs to help you determine if a sale is legitimate. For example, eBay does not contact you to arrange payment for an item. When you win an item, we merely send you an email telling you that you've won the auction and need to get in touch with the seller to finalize your purchase. If you receive an email claiming to be from eBay that directs you to pay the seller via Western Union or MoneyGram, we strongly recommend that you not follow through with the transaction.

Other signs of a fraudulent email include statements that eBay inspected the vehicle or that eBay will hold the payment. eBay does not inspect items, hold payment for buyers, or have warehouses where items are stored.

At the very least, if you buy the item outside of eBay, you won't be covered by the Vehicle Purchase Protection Program, and you won't be able to leave Feedback if anything goes wrong.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Michael T."

What part of Maryland is the bike?
I live in the Panhandel of WV, near Hancock, MD. If the bike is close, I'll go take a look. But, I honestly smell a Scam.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought my '01 on eBay. While searching the listings I found the seller & bike were in my city, so I arranged to take a look at it. Seller let me take it for a ride before I made my decision. I had to be the highest bidder on eBay to 'win' it since a bid was already placed on it, but that wasn't the price I actually paid for it. 8)

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts