Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....I was on the fence for a month or so trying to decide what to buy....I knew I could get 10" Apes and not replace the cables but I wanted more! I kept hounding people that I would see on here with 12" and a couple of them told me they did theirs without replacing the cables or the brake line and I still was a little scared! I decided to pull the trigger and get the 12" and I have been working on her for a while now and no matter where I route the cables or the brake line everything is just too tight. So....the question is now.... do I beg the seller to take these back and sell me a set of 10" or do I suck it up and get the new line and cables? It is quite a dilemma because these 12" look so bad azz on Stella and when I sit on her they are perfect for my arms and back! I actually got everything bolted on but when I turn the bars either way they get so tight it wouldn't work. The throttle won't even spring back fast! LOL! Just toooooooooooooo tight!

·
Administrator
57,123 Posts
Sounds like You have made Your choice already, so upgrade with the extended cables and brake hose.
Nothing wrong with replacing aging cables anyway, and it's actually like taking insurance against breakage.

Go for it! :shades:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard that routing the throttle and clutch cables behind the trees is a fix but it didn't do a thing for my problem. I got the brake line out on the outside and it just barely reaches with the bike on the jack and the forks fully extended but it is real tight too. I have been looking at some rides with the 10" apes this afternoon and I love the 12's but dang it! I might be happy with the 10's and I KNOW I could keep the cables then. It is a hard choice to make. If the person I bought the 12's off of is reasonable I might consider the 10's because I am short on the dough it is going to take to wrap it up the way it is with all new stuff. I would probably not have the money for them for a month and the bike is torn down now and I want to ride! I appreciate your advice everyone...I will have to ponder on it while I wait to hear back from the guy I bought the 12's off of.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude goes by MNBoulevard on here has a 2005 just like mine and he did it without changing sh**! He offered to send me pics of how he ran the cables and stuff but I never heard back from him :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
GrapeApe.... what are these shorty set of risers you speak of? I am intrigued!
THe amazon link I posted above, Heres the same at JPcycles.
I "THINK" they are 1" short than our stock risers.

J&P Cycles® Shorty Risers | 5000892 | J&P Cycles

At least with JPcycles they will take them back if you don't scratch them anywhere.

The other thing to see is how the throttle and clutch is routed behind the left side neck cover. Mine were crossed up, so I undid the throttles and rerouted them past the throttle. You kinda have to look at it with the cover off to understand.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am done with my pity party so I will go pull the cover off and see if there's any slack there I can take advantage of. Thanks Grape!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to beezer but I just don't have the cheddar left right now to pull it off. I might go ahead and pick up a cheap set of 10's and next spring when I get a little more flush I will go like 14 and get new braided lines. That will give me a excuse to tear her down and do it all again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.