Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm just about to rip out the clattering 2004 carb motor in my bike and fit a 2012 twin plug injected motor instead - I have all the bits and bobs along with the technical know how and tools but do any experts here have any good advice ?

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Whoa. When you say you've got all the bits and bobs, I'm afraid you're missing a very important piece... A frame that will fit the engine.

Suzuki changed the frame, when they changed the engine to fuel injection in 2005. You can't put a modern motor, in the older frame. Sorry. Unless you plan to cut and weld, you're out of luck.

Plus, the engine swap will require the COMPLETE wiring harness for a 2012, including the ECU and all of the sensors. There are a number of additional changes as well, including LED lights on the 2012 model that the wiring harness is not designed to use normal incandescent bulbs....

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're taking on Mission: Impossible.

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Oh, Yeah. You need a fuel tank with the electric fuel pump as well. No, you can't retrofit the vacuum operated one on the Volusia to work.

Long story short, just go buy another bike. You're about to spend a fortune re-inenting the wheel...

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Oh, Yeah. You need a fuel tank with the electric fuel pump as well. No, you can't retrofit the vacuum operated one on the Volusia to work.

Long story short, just go buy another bike. You're about to spend a fortune re-inenting the wheel...
May as well jack up the rad cap and roll a new bike under it........

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I echo what Skrapiron said, You cannot put a fuel injected motor in a carb'd frame, believe me, I tried already.
Just go buy a bigger bike, it would be cheaper in the long run. That's what I did, and I ain't never looking back. I love love love my VL1500.

·
Super Moderator
33,549 Posts
Swapping out a motor with one that isn't a direct replacement should only be done if you're into making new monsters, like putting a Porsche engine in a VW Beetle or shoving a 302 into a Goldwing. They always require so many part changes and frame modifications that you'll end up spending far more than just buying what you want. Just sell your Vol for whatever you can get and roll it over to a Boulevard. You'll probably save a few grand and a ton of headaches if you but that 2012 engine with the bike attached to it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Whoa. When you say you've got all the bits and bobs, I'm afraid you're missing a very important piece... A frame that will fit the engine.

Suzuki changed the frame, when they changed the engine to fuel injection in 2005. You can't put a modern motor, in the older frame. Sorry. Unless you plan to cut and weld, you're out of luck.

Plus, the engine swap will require the COMPLETE wiring harness for a 2012, including the ECU and all of the sensors. There are a number of additional changes as well, including LED lights on the 2012 model that the wiring harness is not designed to use normal incandescent bulbs....

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're taking on Mission: Impossible.
I see the clouds, but what's coming down doesn't exactly look like rain.

Personally if it was my bike and I wanted to keep it and make a "project" out of it, I would try something a little less impossible. Probably an engine rebuild (or used) if the engine is bad. After the bike was running good, I might consider investing in a Back Alley or Blue Collar Bobber kit:

If I didn't want to invest a lot of money and time, I'd probably trade it in or part it out. Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

Reactions: rvcycleguy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.