1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,731 Posts
Welcome your first post... Greetings from Central PA

·
Administrator
55,766 Posts
I was wondering if I could put a 1400/1500 into the frame of an 800. Without to much trouble? I have basic knowledge but know how to you tube.. lol and read a Haynes manual.. lol I love my bike I just want more go..
Nope.....unless You'd care to remake the frame and all related components. Not really worth the effort.
Set up a Sneaky Pete NOS sytem and you'll have a small burst of pep now and then.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
No. Nothing is interchangeable.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Yes, we have. The engine and transmission are stressed members of the frame, so if the bolt holes dont line up, it won't fit no matter how hard you push. The engine casing is physically larger, meaning the VL800 frame needs to be cut, sleeved and welded back together to accommodate the larger block. The LS1500 fuel system was carried in the frame, not above in the tank, so the VL800 tank will not work to supply fuel. Lastly, the VL800 and LS1500 have different wiring harnesses, so you would have to completely rewire the bike to make it work.

So short of completely fabricating a new frame and effectively building an LS1500 from scratch, there's no way to make it work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, we have. The engine and transmission are stressed members of the frame, so if the bolt holes dont line up, it won't fit no matter how hard you push. The engine casing is physically larger, meaning the VL800 frame needs to be cut, sleeved and welded back together to accommodate the larger block. The LS1500 fuel system was carried in the frame, not above in the tank, so the VL800 tank will not work to supply fuel. Lastly, the VL800 and LS1500 have different wiring harnesses, so you would have to completely rewire the bike to make it work.

So short of completely fabricating a new frame and effectively building an LS1500 from scratch, there's no way to make it work.
Once again it sounds like someone tried once in their garage and failed, now it's impossible; or so you tell ppl. I Specifically asked if either of "you" had tried to do this swap. Now, do either of you have personal experience with trying this?

Just because the frame needs modifications doesnt mean it's impossible, just need a set of skills to accomplish. Just like throwing in a 500cc two stroke motor into a modern frame. Yes, you need to cut and weld a section of frame. Yes you need to re weld engine mounts. None of this again is too hard with the right skills and knowledge. The stock fuel system would probably work just fine if you raised the tank for clearance. As for swapping in the right harness and equipment, that's pretty standard for any motor swap lol. Now would it be worth it over buying a c90...maybe. depends on how much the c50 cost him, depends if he has the ability do this work himself and how much the new motor/harness/equipment gonna run him.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
We have had a saying here for a very long time. Anything is possible, if you have access to a machine shop and an unlimited budget.

The short answer is no. There is no plug and play option. Since most enthusiasts struggle with changing their oil without instructions, the likelihood of such a conversion becoming common is non existent.

In addition to the issues I enumerated above, you will also have the handicap of running the VL800 fork with its anemic single disk brake and the comically bad mechanical drum in the rear. If you decide to go whole hog and adapt the LS1500 fork and the LS1500 rear end, why not cut out the fabrication effort and just buy the bigger bike?

If you feel compelled to build a Frankenbike, just to prove it can be done, go for it. The rest of the community will do what they have done for the last 20 years and just buy a bigger bike when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Well, he says in his first post, that he can get on you/tube and has a Haynes manual. I think it's kind of irresponsible to tell him to cut up his bike.
Here is the reason you don't cut up a perfectly good Volusia 50. I'm using 2004 as an example. Pick a year, the money ratio pretty much remains the same. There are various Japanese cruisers, vintage 2004 ish, from 1000cc-2000cc, for 2 to 4 thousand dollars. For sale, all over the country. You could buy one for about the same price that you could sell a 2004 Vol for, and kick in another thousand. You get a faster, stronger, stock bike, that you can get your money back out of, if you decide to sell it. This is a 2004 Honda vtx 1300, with 16,000 miles on it. It's on Craigs list in Okc Ok. asking is $2900.00. You could probably buy it for $2500.00
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I know I am repeating myself, but I think this pretty much ends the debate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, he says in his first post, that he can get on you/tube and has a Haynes manual. I think it's kind of irresponsible to tell him to cut up his bike.
Here is the reason you don't cut up a perfectly good Volusia 50. I'm using 2004 as an example. Pick a year, the money ratio pretty much remains the same. There are various Japanese cruisers, vintage 2004 ish, from 1000cc-2000cc, for 2 to 4 thousand dollars. For sale, all over the country. You could buy one for about the same price that you could sell a 2004 Vol for, and kick in another thousand. You get a faster, stronger, stock bike, that you can get your money back out of, if you decide to sell it. This is a 2004 Honda vtx 1300, with 16,000 miles on it. It's on Craigs list in Okc Ok. asking is $2900.00. You could probably buy it for $2500.00
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
That's the difference between us sir, I'm not telling anyone what they should do; you are. I will leave the decision making up to the individual. I'll just lay out what might actually be involved and leave my opinions out. Again, I wish you guys would throw some references out too someone that's tried. I'm actually curious to know what is actually different with the frames; and the actual dimensional differences of the frames and motors/Tran.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Despite their similar appearance, the motorcycles could not be any more different from one another. The VL 800 uses the engine as a stressed member of the frame. The LS 1500 has traditional cradle frame and the engine sits inside of it. You cannot put 1 into the other regardless of How much you're willing to try. When we say the parts are not compatible it's because the parts are not compatible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Despite their similar appearance, the motorcycles could not be any more different from one another. The VL 800 uses the engine as a stressed member of the frame. The LS 1500 has traditional cradle frame and the engine sits inside of it. You cannot put 1 into the other regardless of How much you're willing to try. When we say the parts are not compatible it's because the parts are not compatible.
Finally some technical info 🙌

I never expected these parts to be interchangeable (bolt on). I just wasn't sure how much fabricating would be needed. Truth is you could do it, but if what you're saying is correct; definitely wouldn't be worth the hassle even with the skill set to do so. ☹

You have to understand why I question what you say sir. I already found cams that never existed with a little research. You also told me that I could only make 52hp with a fully built motor. You've said some questionable and even false things at times. I do actually appreciate the technical info you gave in your last post, hoping that's a new trend. 👍

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Just because there is nothing mechanically interchangeable between the bikes, don't let that deter you from trying. If Dan Hillis hadn't taken the Ls1500 drive and compared the differences to the VL800 drive, we wouldn't have our most popular mod. Like everything else, it requires some machine work to make it fit and function on the smaller frame. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun building an Ls1500 out of a VL800 just to say it can be done.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
I like the kids spunk. Admittedly, he's trying to reinvent the wheel, but it gives him a project to concentrate on. I mean, other than implying that the reason we never got any real power out of the engine is because we're too stupid for our own good, he's got spirit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah why bother. I'm done with this expert. :rolleyes:
You guys are ridiculous lol. I literally agreed it wouldn't be worth while to anyone to do this swap as soon as someone offered a technical reason as to why it's a bad idea. Also, it wouldn't be impossible or even difficult to slap that motor and drive train into the chassis. What would be a nightmare is trying to get it to go straight and not act funny when being loaded and unloaded....but again I'm sure you top tier forum readers were already fully aware of that. 🙄

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Are you looking for a technical reason other than it is completely incompatible between the frames? The LS1500 uses rubber frame mounts to join to the cradle and the VL800 is part of the frame? Or do you expect shade tree mechanics to have access to a plasma cutter and welding equipment?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts