Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2009 Boulevard C50 that is in need of an engine. I was wondering if any of you guys know what other years engines will fit my motorcycle?.
The motorcycle was run without oil until the engine started to make clunking noise on the top. The motorcycle starts and drive and it seems it didn't loose power but is making that clunky loud noise. My mechanic said that the easiest will be to swap the engine but I am having hard time finding an 09 engine. Also will like some advise if I should find another mechanic that is willing to rebuilt the engine instead of swapping it.

·
Registered
19,853 Posts
The underlying engine and transmission components haven't changed since the bike was introduced in 2001. That means, the internals and the case are identical and compatible with any other year. However, there have been changes over the years to the charging system and the fueling system that need to be accounted for. From 2001 to 2004, the engine ran on a single fire ignition, meaning the coils only fire on the compression stroke. From 2005 on, the engine runs on a dual fire ignition, meaning it fires on both the compression and exhaust stroke. Also from 2001-2004, the engine ran on a carb, after 2005, it was switched to EFI. Then in 2009, they introduced a dual spark head for emissions purposes. In order to use a donor engine, your mechanic will need to strip the intake, heads, manifold, coils, stator and magneto from the old engine *unless it is 100% the same, then move the components off of your damaged engine. All told, you're looking at between $1100-$1500 for the engine and another $1200-$2000 in labor, unless you can find a drop in engine, which will only cost you around $500 for the swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts