Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a strange thing that happened. Went for a ride and after passing a slow driver the engine sputtered and then the speedometer spiked then completely died. It keep running but would backfire and stutter then take off. I made it home but as soon as I pulled in the garage it died....no lights, nothing. Hooked the battery charger up to it and everything came to life. I'm thinking there is a bad cell in the battery, does this sound right? Could it be something else? I just put in a LED brake light, new brighter headlight, and spark plugs...maybe I messed something up? Needing some direction...Thanks

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Loose battery cable

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Anytime you make a change, and then have an issue, the first thing to do is go back and check what was it that you changed. I would check all the battery connections and fuses first, then items and wiring that you modified.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. MY Kawasaki 700LTD had a battery die. I thought "no big deal, the magneto will keep me going". Incorrect! I jumped it and started off and my symptoms matched yours. Sputtering on acceleration then it goes, popping, etc. I simply went around my block and parked it. Bought a new battery and now it runs like a champ. Well, until Friday anyway!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**UPDATE**
Took the battery to Advance Auto and their battery tester stated "replace battery" had two cell die. Just strange for it to die so unexpectedly. I will be taking several short out-n-back trips just to make sure there isn't any underlining issue. I wouldn't think adding an LED brake light, which actually has a lower draw, and adding a new headlight would cause this. Thanks for the feedback, really a great bunch of guys/gals with a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hopefully that solves it. In addition to the actual battery terminals, you might want to check the ground wire connection (on the 01 it is on the right side case near the bottom but ahead of the battery box. )
Glad you got home safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts