Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I'm at Biketoberfest. Having a good time except for one thing. While doing the Main Street drive I noticed the engine would get hot and then all of a sudden it would turn off. I turn it on again and a few minutes it would do the same thing.

Never had this happened to me before. We did over 100 miles with no problems. I changed the oil and coolant and I don't have add ons, it just stock.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When you changed the coolant did you look to make sure it was circulating and that all the air was removed before putting the cap back on?

·
Registered
21,181 Posts
Did your cooling fan ever kick on?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No lights came on. That's the first thing I looked at. I did noticed that its extremely hot. But like I said we rode almost hundred miles and no problem. Just when we did the Main Street thing it will rurn off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did the shaking back and forth thing. Start her up three times and each time I made sure full.
Did you let the bike reach running temp before putting the cap back on the radiator?
As Skrapiron said, check to make sure your cooling fan is operational.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thru out the slow ride thru Main Street the fan keep going on and on. When I changed the coolant filled her to the top and let her run for awhile, then checked her again just added a little coolant each time. The last time it was good. I put too much coolant in the reservoir. Let run for a long time and I guess the extra coolant left the reservoir and on to the ground. Checked again and it was good.

The fan went on like every two minutes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It almost sounds like you may have something obstructing flow somewhere in the cooling system (calcium buildup). I could be wrong, but flushing the system is easy and not that time consuming and may be worth the try.
Empty the radiator and reservoir. Fill with a mix of distilled water and distilled white vinegar. Let it run to temp, let it cool and empty it. Refill with just distilled water and run to temp. Let cool, empty it and refill with 50/50 coolant and see if that fixes the issue.
Hope this helps

Reactions: ThePostman

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to a Harley guy on my route and he informed me that my bike has a safety switch that it will turn off if the bike gets too hot. Especially when you slow crawl the bike for an extended period of time.

I never heard of that. If someone would chime in and verify that. In the meantime I will replace the coolant and to what SemperRide suggested and change the oil too.

I will do a search and determine which oil to use. Currently I'm using Mobile One Synthetic.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Just before the bike shuts down, does it run like you horribly need a tune-up?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In fact it didn't. Just a little vibration before it shut off. I replaced the plugs and did a vavle adjustment a few months ago. The only thing I didn't do is change the air filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just a followup, how did things work out, where you able
to fix the problem?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strange it never did it again. Just to be on the safe side I did what you said. Flushed the radiator and changed the oil.

Rode it for fifty miles and I went to the Church parking lot across from me and did some slow moving exercise. Trying to replicate the same situation I had in Daytona.

Fan continued to run every 2 minutes. When it did I would go real slow like I did on Main Street. Didn't shut off. Weird.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.