Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was riding home from work the other day. made a few stops along the way. at my last stop only a few miles away from home i noticed a banging noise coming from the clutch area. it's in sync with the rpms so i know it's not in the transmission area. i continued to ride it home, didn't make any difference performance wise, just worried me.
so i put in on the lift and cracked open both the clutch cover and gen cover in hopes of finding something obvious such as a loose clutch bolt or something and that it would be an easy fix, but no... unless i can crank it with the clutch cover off i have no idea what that noise is.
I'm wondering if i should continue to take the engine apart and maybe find something or just look into finding a replacement???

ps. i was about 700mi overdue for an oil change and was very low since the oil light flicker on once or twice the last couple of days.

quick background.. it's got 65k i ride daily as i commute 90+mi every work day. i bought it just over two years ago with 33k mi. i did a valve adj about a year ago and new clutch maybe six months ago.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
At 65,000 you pretty much got all the goody out of it. Unless your a good motor mechanic, I would go for a replacement. Motor rebuild will out run the cost of buying another used bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
buy a cheap automotive stethoscope....harbor freight $5...listen to the clutch area and bottom front of the cases to isolate the sound for sure, could be a clutch basket bearing or could be a rod. if you suspect a rod cases have to be split and motor comes out, clutch basket bearing is relatively simple

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'm dreading that day when my ride makes that sound that suggests its time to replace the engine. 58k miles and counting. I think it's inevitable. Please keep us updated if possible on what you determine and the outcome. Hope its minor.

I am currently making an investment in a spare engine. I came across a parts bike and when it's time, it's in the garage ready to be worked over.

RV

·
Registered
93 Posts
motor knockin'

Dude that sucks, hope it isn't anything too serious. look at theft recovery bikes for a cheap motor donor if you need one.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
It is the nature of the beast. It is a budget bike with a budget engine. Fortunately, they're pretty cheap to buy used so you have options.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts
Seen several posts about this subject and it seems that the consensus is that a used replacement engine is cheaper than repairs and that in 2010 they redesigned the engine. I'm curious, I wonder if the later model engine fits and it could be adapted to use in the early model frames?

·
Registered
19,518 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
These engines have lasted well over 100k. I would remove the spark plugs so there's no compression, put it in gear and spin the rear wheel to see what happens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. So I tried removing the spark plugs and cranked it, didn't see it hear anything. So I put it all back together minus the clutch cover just to try and start it for a few seconds and see what it does. Turns out the noise is coming from the fwd jug, no doubt something came loose up there... :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
okay, i got the engine out and on the work bench (That thing is freaking heavy!!!). is there anything out there on the web that would help with the breakdown of the engine? I have a very basic knowledge of how engines work let alone m/c engines. i just want to make sure i know what i'm looking for when i break this thing open.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
okay, i got the engine out and on the work bench (That thing is freaking heavy!!!). is there anything out there on the web that would help with the breakdown of the engine? I have a very basic knowledge of how engines work let alone m/c engines. i just want to make sure i know what i'm looking for when i break this thing open.
Try this link. I'm using it to disassemble a parts bike. The Volusia years do not match mine but the only difference is the fuel injection vs carb. It has been extremely helpful.

Volusia Service Book

·
Registered
28 Posts
****. Personally, I would just replace. I don't really like engine rebuilds that much, I 've had some bad experiences with rebuilds and what not.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
****. Personally, I would just replace. I don't really like engine rebuilds that much, I 've had some bad experiences with rebuilds and what not.
But.... You have no idea what you get when you replace. Unless you are replacing with new and that's not feasible, your dealing with used, salvage, or theft recovery. No way to accurately know how many miles are on the engine. Some guy selling a used motor says 32k easy miles? Really, based on what? Maybe the guy never changed the oil, rode it hard and did not do any valve maintenance.

I'd rather rebuild with new parts and go through the motor so I know what I'm getting for my money.

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
Want to clue us in on what year bike you have? Someone may have a service manual for it they could send you. I'd suggest adding it to your profile so we can get it any time. Apologies if you've stated it somewhere and I missed it, but I have looked and see no mention.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's an 04 VL800. I already have an electronic version of the service manual, I was just hoping that there would be something that would make it a little easier with my limited knowledge and not knowing what each component is called.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It's an 04 VL800. I already have an electronic version of the service manual, I was just hoping that there would be something that would make it a little easier with my limited knowledge and not knowing what each component is called.

Hmmm. I'm confused. That's what the service manual does is describe and use the proper nomenclature for service and breakdown of the majority of the hundreds of components associated with the motorcycle. I guess a Clymer book specific to your year model might be useful as you can rest it near the bike as you work on it. Although, my iPad is excellent for expanding the photos in the electronic version for the utmost detail.

Good luck.

RV

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay, so i got the engine half way apart. i've talked to a couple people and showed them these pictures. one said that the fwd piston got hot and needs to be replaced (you can see some discoloration on the rear of fwd piston) another guy at my local salvage yard said it's nothing. i explained to him that there was a knock coming from the fwd cylinder and that i should check if the connecting rod is loose at all because if it is, then i should stop right there and not even bother with it as that's what would eat all the money. i checked it and it's fine.

So now i'm wondering, should i continue taking it apart or just scrap the whole thing? and if i did continue, where should i look to get the various replacement parts (rings and gaskets) as i've noticed there isn't a 'rebuild kit' for this thing.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts