Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and 05 C50 with 21,000 miles. I have owned it for the last 17,000. To my knowledge the bike has never had a wrench on it other than routine oil changes and a valve adjustment. Last week I was running down the interstate for about 5 miles at 65 mph, everything fine, no warning lights or signs of problems. I decelerated for the exit ramp and just coasted down in 5th gear. as I approached the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp the engine suddenly developed a very loud rapping sound. I killed the engine immediately and went to the side of the road. As I said, no oil pressure or any other warning lights on. The oil level is normal (I had just changed the oil and filter a month prior). The noise did not sound as heavy as I thought I rod would sound. At that point I am thinking maybe something on the upper end. After looking everything over I decided to restart the engine, it started right up, but the knocking was definitely still there. Shut it down and trailered it home. I have been working and have not had time to check further.

Anybody heard of a similar problem? Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would suspect stretched timing chains. My 05 had the problem with less mileage than that. Mine sounded like a noisy lifter on a chev V8. The noise first showed up after a good fast freeway ride. It is a pretty big repair as the motor has to come out and the heads and cylinders off. There are posts about the chains as others have had the trouble. One member kept riding the bike and ignored the noise without any breakdowns. There was a post about a broken cam/gear suspected to be caused by a stretched chain. The noise really bothered me and it had to be fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine riding the bike with this noise, I feel it must be fixed. I finally got a chance to drop it off at the dealership today. We'll see what they think in a couple of days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but it has an expensive sound to it!

·
Administrator
51,870 Posts
Let's hope that at worst, it's only the cam chains/sprockets, etc.

Cam chains/sprockets are a fairly routine type of repair, whereas a bad rod bearing frequently damages or scores the crank journal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on this problem

Crazy! The dealership checked the bike and wanted approval to tear the engine down to check it, $250 to be applied the repair bill if I opted to have repairs made. They heard the bike run and suspected a rod. They got the bike on the repair hoist and gave it one last start. Within a few seconds of starting up the noise began to go away. Within about 20 more seconds it disappeared completely. They put a scope in the cylinders and inspected them. All looked fine. Compression check was good. The took apart the air induction boot and found some very small pieces of plastic above the throttle body. Don't know where it came from, but thinking is that some of it got carried to the cylinder and lodged under the intake valve seat, temporarily causing a greater clearance and hence the rapping noise. It eventually burned away and all is fine now. Have ridden the bike about 200 miles since and everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Congrats!!!!
What they charge you for that nugget of info??

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out as minor inconvenience. Seemed like low mileage for a chain issue but you never know. Anyone that has ridden these bikes for years are probably waiting for the day when it starts to make those unusual sounds.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Crazy! The dealership checked the bike and wanted approval to tear the engine down to check it, $250 to be applied the repair bill if I opted to have repairs made. They heard the bike run and suspected a rod. They got the bike on the repair hoist and gave it one last start. Within a few seconds of starting up the noise began to go away. Within about 20 more seconds it disappeared completely. They put a scope in the cylinders and inspected them. All looked fine. Compression check was good. The took apart the air induction boot and found some very small pieces of plastic above the throttle body. Don't know where it came from, but thinking is that some of it got carried to the cylinder and lodged under the intake valve seat, temporarily causing a greater clearance and hence the rapping noise. It eventually burned away and all is fine now. Have ridden the bike about 200 miles since and everything is fine.
Did they figure out where the bits of plastic came from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
same issue here so i bought a manual and me and a buddy tore the engine down today.. No signs of wear or broken parts.. Im stunned.. wonder if i should change the oil pump just to be safe??

suggestions?

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
You cannot gauge wear by visual inspection alone. You need to pull the crank and check the journals for spalling and also check the run out. Use a dial caliper to get check the uniform thickness on all mating surfaces. So the same with the cam shafts, looking for wear on the shaft and mating surfaces too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50 (no chain) did the same thing the other day. It has 32k miles. I just started going down the freeway and it sounded like it was reaving in high gear, then the motor started to cut off. No warning lights or anything. I cranked it back up and there was a knocking sound from the left side and I smelled a slight burning smell. Taking it to the shop tomorrow. Yep, I'm thinking they will need to take the engine apart too to figure this one out. These posts are informative and good to know I'm not alone when it comes to things like this. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts