Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at future possibility of engine replacement in lieu of the costly cam chain repair. My limited investigation seems to be that
a newer C50 engine would fit in a 2001-2004 VL800 and it looks like one would have to change out the intake pipe to accommodate
a carb instead of the injection models throttle body.
Does anyone know if there are any internal differences in the engines?

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
You cannot put a C50 engine into the Volusia frame. The Volusia engine uses a dual fire ignition, the C50 is a single fire. The Volusia does not have sensor mounts that the C50 engine requires. The Volusia also does not have the ecu, wiring harness or other needed components to allow you to install the C50 engine. Lastly, the Volusia frame and tank are different and the C50 engine will not fit. It's been tried, it will not work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
how many miles do you have on your engine?
Typically the tensioner issues does seem to arise around the 30000 mile mark.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
The 2001-2004 Volusia were carberuretted. They used engine vacuum to actuate the "fuel pump" in the tank and have no ecu or sensors to adjust the fuel mapping. The Volusia also uses a "dual fire" spark, meaning both coils fire on every revolution of the engine (due to a lack of computer control). In 2005, the C50 was introduced with fuel injection, digitally controlled spark, MAP and MAF sensors along with other electronics which help the bike meet increasingly strict emissions regulations. The addition of an electric fuel pump inside the tank necessitated the frame be modified to accommodate the fuel pump and its electronics. This also allowed for the taller fuel injection throttle body included with the changes.

With the exception of some of the internal components, there is ZERO interchangeability between a Volusia engine and a C50 engine.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Scrap is talking from a practical standpoint.............putting a C50 engine into a Volusia is NOT a drop in. With some cubic dollars anything is possible. Ask any race car owner.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
for the cost involved, get a new bike

part out old one

Reactions: Duffy

·
Registered
1 Posts
motor swap

Hey all i got a 2001 vl800 & a 2007 c50 frame is bent on the c50 & motor is trashed in the vl800 can i put the c50 motor in the vl800 frame?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey all i got a 2001 vl800 & a 2007 c50 frame is bent on the c50 & motor is trashed in the vl800 can i put the c50 motor in the vl800 frame?
As is stated above, no, it's not a drop in.

That being said, I'm sure if you threw enough money at it, you could do it.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
No. The engine is not a direct swap. If you want to use the C50 motor in the VL800 you have to remove the charging and ignition system, the cylinder heads, intake and fueling system from the existing VL800 engine and transfer them over the C50 engine. The underlying engine block and internal components are the same, but the above parts are different and not interchangeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts