Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I guess my title says it all! I can ride my Suzuki 2008 C50 for an our with no issues, but when I finish the ride, and let it idle for 30 seconds, it will idle very low and eventually cut out. The same thing happens after even a short ride. I just bought the bike and I love it, but I find this very frustrating! I wonder if it's because it wasn't ridden much this year? I put new gas in it, so maybe it will work itself out as the old gas is burned. But perhaps it is something more serious...I thought I would ask of others have had similar problems, or if anyone has any advice? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I would first try adding a 1/4 can of Sea Foam to a full tank of fuel and ride it out till the warning light comes on....

Check the air cleaner....

Have you done or had done, any other work to the bike since it last ran real well?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Raise the idle.

Reactions: Gene

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
You sure you can do that on an 08? Is there an idle adjust on the FI bikes?
Yes. I have one on my 06. Left side, hard to reach under the tank. May have to raise the rear of the tank to access. Large screw.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Thanks all....I just bought the bike yesterday. I will check all of your suggestions. I appreciate the responses!
The Sea Foam may help dirty injectors which may improve the idle.

Having a tach when adjusting idle speed would be a good idea. Idle speed spec.. 1000-1200 rpm

Here's a small inexpensive one that you can leave connected.

Trail Tech || TTO Tach-Hour Meter - Silver

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to get off topic but Gene do you have one of these Tach's that you mention above?

I looked at the website and watched the video and is it really that simple of just wrapping the wire around the spark plug wire connecter and will it compensate for only using one plug wire to give a true rpm reading? I like the fact that it is battery operated with less wires to run. I have an 08 c50, would sure like to add an inexpensive tach.

thanks for any info you kight have.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Not to get off topic but Gene do you have one of these Tach's that you mention above?

I looked at the website and watched the video and is it really that simple of just wrapping the wire around the spark plug wire connecter and will it compensate for only using one plug wire to give a true rpm reading? I like the fact that it is battery operated with less wires to run. I have an 08 c50, would sure like to add an inexpensive tach.

Yes I do have one of the TTO tach/hour meters.. I used two small zip ties to attach it to the clutch cable where I can easily check on it.

It really is that easy to install. Wrap the single wire around the plug wire - doesn't matter which one.... - add a little tape to hold it in place and you are good to go. The hardest part is getting at the plug wire......

There is a setting on it to match it up with some operating parameters to do with single/double fire but it isn't hard - just don't throw out the package and the normal Idle speed is in the 1000 - 1200rpm range just so you know when you have the unit set up correctly.

you are most welcome!!

Reactions: Checkerflag

·
Registered
23,553 Posts
The trail tach is great. I have one on a mount a member here was selling and it is one of the best things I've added.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

All you need is one spark plug wire, it's pretty simple, no matter how many cylinders you have, each one will fire during the combustion cycle and on some during the exhaust cycle. In either case it will only fire that plug once during a revolution whether you have 1, 2, or 12 cylinders. As for the wire wrap, basically it's the super cheap equivalent of the pickup on a timing strobe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.