Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a problem I can’t figure out. I went to replace the battery in my 08 boulevard C90T. As I was trying to finagle the new battery into place I accidentally touched the pos and neg to the cooler mounted on the front of the bike. Sparks etc, I figured I shorted out the battery and I bought a new battery and installed it (this time without touching anything). My bike still won’t start. I get nothing, I tested the new battery and it tests fine but when I go to start my bike nothing happens, no lights, no horn, no turning over, none of the normal noises etc, I don’t even get the check lights. Am I missing a relay or fuse ? The 1st battery wasn’t hooked up to anything when I shorted it out so I don’t know how I could have blown anything. Can an electrical “surge” like that touched to the frame send a charge through something to blow something ? Hell I didn’t even get any small sparks that are normal when replacing a battery and attaching the pos or neg leads.... Anyone have anything like this happen to them before ? Any suggestions or thoughts or ideas ? Thanks, I’m fairly new to the forum but not new to riding and I like tinkering on my bike myself.

Sab

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the suggestions guys, I’ll check them out when I get home.... Dam, I really wanted to ride for the 4th

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey all. I have a problem I can’t figure out. I went to replace the battery in my 08 boulevard C90T. As I was trying to finagle the new battery into place I accidentally touched the pos and neg to the cooler mounted on the front of the bike. Sparks etc, I figured I shorted out the battery and I bought a new battery and installed it (this time without touching anything). My bike still won’t start. I get nothing, I tested the new battery and it tests fine but when I go to start my bike nothing happens, no lights, no horn, no turning over, none of the normal noises etc, I don’t even get the check lights. Am I missing a relay or fuse ? The 1st battery wasn’t hooked up to anything when I shorted it out so I don’t know how I could have blown anything. Can an electrical “surge” like that touched to the frame send a charge through something to blow something ? Hell I didn’t even get any small sparks that are normal when replacing a battery and attaching the pos or neg leads.... Anyone have anything like this happen to them before ? Any suggestions or thoughts or ideas ? Thanks, I’m fairly new to the forum but not new to riding and I like tinkering on my bike myself.

Sab
Under the left faux tank is the fused starter relay, it's likely you blew that fuse. Luckily there is a spare fuse next to the one that is likely blown. Stop by the vl1500/C90 forum and ask there too, it's the best place of knowledge on you're bike on the web.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/rlcmc

Reactions: cwa1104sab

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you crashtestdummy. I checked the fuses and they were all good. I started following the positive cable up the left side just where you said then got frustrated cause I couldn’t find my Allen keys and came in here and saw your suggestion. I’m heading back out to the garage now. I’ll keep y’all posted. I appreciate the head

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the cover and found a 30 amp fuse. It was good but I replaced it anyway and still nothing. I’m gonna have to start really trying to solve it tomorrow after work. Flow chart type stuff....start here if no then...lol I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again

·
Registered
800 Posts
There are two fuses, one is for the relay and the other the spare is next to it, did you check both of them. Hate to think you might have ONLY checked the spare.

Get on the forum i linked you to, there is more collective knowledge there than anywhere else.

Introduce yourself and send a pm to Drjones18lc he is the resident electrical guru

Reactions: cwa1104sab

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two fuses, one is for the relay and the other the spare is next to it, did you check both of them. Hate to think you might have ONLY checked the spare.

Get on the forum i linked you to, there is more collective knowledge there than anywhere else.

Introduce yourself and send a pm to Drjones18lc he is the resident electrical guru
I appreciate all the help. Yeah, I registered at that site and posted. Gonna Check it out when I get home

·
Registered
2 Posts
07 C90T kills batteries

2007 C90T killed battery almost immediately. I replaced the stator and regulator, got a new battery, bike started with a jump from my car.
For the next three days I started the bike each morning and evening and let it run for several minutes. I put all the tin back on it over this weekend to test ride around the neighborhood. Started up no problems, went to get helmet, came back and bike just clicked like dead battery. Took new battery to where I purchased with for load test, leaded bad. So the the bike killed the battery, it loaded tested good when I bought it the week before. The battery shop replaced the battery no charge. But before I put the battery in the bike I need to know what may have killed the previous new battery. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, George

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Starting the bike a couple times a day for a couple minutes is not enough to maintain charge. The bikes charging system puts out very little at an idle, you either need to keep it on a trickle charger (if you have external draws on system), or after charging it fully, leave it alone until you want to ride, a new battery should not have an issue holding charge. I leave mine on a trickle charger that is on a timer that comes on for 3 hours a day during colder weather when I don't ride regularly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You should perform a Parasitic Battery Drain Test. Google it for instructions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts