Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards buying a universal windshield bag. Have any of you tried it and found that toll tag still works when inside a bag?

Most of the tolls in my area are now cashless (bill by mail). I've experimented with placing my motorcycle toll tag basically everywhere on the bike (including multiple locations on handlebars, on my torso, on the tank, in saddlebags, etc.), and the only place where the tag works, is vertically on the windshield. I still have to be able to take the tag off just in case if tag doesn't work, and one of the tall collector cops has to scan it manually. For the past year, I've used some heavy duty Velcro tape, but due to the curve, I had to layer it to build up the middle of the curve. After an hour ride, tag is visibly loose on the tape. I'm afraid I will lose the tag, and getting another is a pain in the neck, costs $, and I will lose motorcycle discount while I'm riding without a tag.

Any ideas?

Super Moderator
You should check with your DMV and see if they have a motorcycle transmitter. For the Peach Pass, here in GA, cars get a fairly large white sticker that goes on the windshield, in front of the rear view mirror. When I got them for my motorcycles I told them what it was for and they sent me a clear sticker with a barcode on it. You put it in the middle of the headlight and it's barely noticeable. I have no idea how it works, but I haven't had any issues getting in the toll lanes.

Registered
Get a motorcycle tag, then apply the hook and loop to the inside of your windscreen. Or put it in the middle of your triple tree.

Registered
I used to use the hook&loop on my windshield for my EZ Pass.
It worked for a long time, until it didn't.
Rolling down the highway I felt something hit my leg. Glancing in my mirrors, I saw my EZ Pass bouncing down the road...I'm sure it didn't last long before it got nailed.
So, make sure you work out some sort of tether just in case.

I have a dedicated suction cup holder now, but I still use the tether.

For what it's worth, even mounted on the front of the windshield, getting it read is still a hit or miss proposition.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
You should check with your DMV and see if they have a motorcycle transmitter. For the Peach Pass, here in GA, cars get a fairly large white sticker that goes on the windshield, in front of the rear view mirror. When I got them for my motorcycles I told them what it was for and they sent me a clear sticker with a barcode on it. You put it in the middle of the headlight and it's barely noticeable. I have no idea how it works, but I haven't had any issues getting in the toll lanes.
As far as I know, NY toll agency doesn't offer sticker/tags. They just offer a smaller wedge shaped transponder as shown here :
. I've tried mounting my transponder the same way as shown in the picture, and it would not work. The only way that transponder is recognized, is when it is mounted on the windshield.Transponder has to be mounted vertically, with text facing you.

Registered
It was always my understanding that if your EZpass isn鈥檛 read it reverts to the license plate that is registered to it.
This is true. But if the pass isn't read, the gate may not open. This happened twice to me last year on the same trip...both times in Ohio. The first time, I had to use my credit card to get through. The second time I just gave up and rode around the gate. Holding up traffic isn't fun.
Although it's not widely known, the EZ Pass transponder has a non-replaceable battery. It can run down, but it takes quite a while to do so.
After my problem, I called them. Their bureaucratic answer is that it just can't be malfunctioning and the battery just can't have run low.
They offered to test the transponder so I sent it in. They sent it back with a note that it's working fine and charged me for the test.
I haven't had the opportunity to use it since, so I don't know what will happen next time. By the way, they still charged me the correct amount when I had to go around the gate.

FYI: As of very recently, PA no longer has the gates. You just drive through at normal speed and they read the plate. I believe they still would prefer you use your EZ Pass if you have one, though.

Registered
The studs in the cover can cause RF interference, leading to missed tag reads.

Registered
Getting a consistent read from active RFID is a tricky proposition in the best conditions. The tag needs to be at the correct angle to the reader, in order to transmit once energized. If there is any RF interference (steel, aluminum or other conductive metals) the signal can be reflected, rebroadcast or simply scattered and never reaches the tag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts