Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to be on for quite a while due to taking care of family. Wanted to drop in and tell what I did to my 206 C50. I changed the oil in front forks, going one weight heavier than factory and the difference is amazing. Rides much better with no bottoming out and no instability in corners. Was doing maintenance on bike anyway so mod was basically free of extra cost. About the best thing I have done to this machine.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have not been able to be on for quite a while due to taking care of family. Wanted to drop in and tell what I did to my 206 C50. I changed the oil in front forks, going one weight heavier than factory and the difference is amazing. Rides much better with no bottoming out and no instability in corners. Was doing maintenance on bike anyway so mod was basically free of extra cost. About the best thing I have done to this machine.
very interesting! thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
Something to consider here: The original oil was 13 years old. It is much more likely that the improvement came from replacing the old and contaminated oil, than a slight bump in viscosity.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I'd be interested in a detailed procedure for the oil replacement.
I've only attempted it once on some minibike shocks, and it sucked butt.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
For the VL800, you have to vacuum out all the old fork oil. There is no drain.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
You vacuum the oil out with a squeeze bottle (like a red/yellow picnic ketchup or mustard bottle) that you would attach a hose to the end and measure the amount of cc's or ounces by emptying into a measuring cup and put that amount of fresh oil back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am the second owner of a 2009 C50 and believe the fork oil is still original. Haven't really noticed any problems with the front forks but I am attempting to change out all of the ten year old fluids in the bike. Purchased two quarts of Pro Honda SS-8 fork oil and will follow Beezer's instructions when I change the fluid this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
56,229 Posts
They make smaller bottles as well. Make sure you squeeze the air out of the bottle before you put the tube in the fork so it doesn't blow the oil out and over your bike, clothes or in your face. Put towels over the tank, fenders, handle bars so you don't get an oily film where it doesn't belong. Also you don't want air in making the oil bubbly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,330 Posts
Your bike is barely broken in. There's no reason to change the fork oil at this point. It simply hasn't seen enough miles to justify the project

1 - 13 of 13 Posts