Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a great deal on Cobra Freeway Bars Part # 01-1325. I've read earlier posts on mounting tips and just wanna make sure this is the proper bottom mount hole and I should start bolting here first (loosely) and then move up to the top bolts. Just wanna be sure thanks!!

PapaBean

PS> My apologies for putting my dirty undercarriage on public display... :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
It sure looks like it. I had to push and pull a little to get all four bolts lined up. When you change the oil filter, you can remove the bottom two bolts, loosen the top two and swivel the bottom of the bar forward to get a clean shot at the filter. Use some blue thread lock.

Good hunting

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Shouldn't have to remove the bars to change the oil filter. Access is from the front. Spin it off and pass it through the side towards the brake pedal. Some riders let go of the brake switch spring to give a wee bit more room but I've not had to do that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Cobras and unboxed them. Before mounting took one of the bolts and ran it in each hole to make sure the threads were good, and they were.... all except for one. This one on the bottom.

The red arrow points to a shiny spot which is actually a sliver of metal.

It seems as if some metal either from the beginning thread or right at the opening of the hole is in the way, and i can't even start a bolt in the hole and get it going. I tried needle nose pliers, screwdrivers but couldn't flick it out of there.

The Cobra mount instructions talk about a 10mm 1.25 tap if needed to make new threads, is that the right step to take?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Got the Cobras and unboxed them. Before mounting took one of the bolts and ran it in each hole to make sure the threads were good, and they were.... all except for one. This one on the bottom.

The red arrow points to a shiny spot which is actually a sliver of metal.

It seems as if some metal either from the beginning thread or right at the opening of the hole is in the way, and i can't even start a bolt in the hole and get it going. I tried needle nose pliers, screwdrivers but couldn't flick it out of there.

The Cobra mount instructions talk about a 10mm 1.25 tap if needed to make new threads, is that the right step to take?
A tap would be the best thing but you can get by with a modified bolt if you are careful....

First take a round file and use that to see if you can knock off the ''extra metal''....

----then use a hacksaw to cut some notches parallel to the centerline on the end of the bolt....

---do the cutting with a nut turned all the way onto the bolt so the threads are sticking out as far as possible... when you remove the nut, it will repair the threads where the cuts were made..... That way the bolt acts as a kind of a tap..... to clean the threads.... It won't cut like a tap but the notches will catch the dirt and some of the thread defects....

---use lots of penetrating oil or straight oil to flush the threads...

---- it will be slightly easier to cross thread the bolt so extra care is required for that.....

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Kinda confused, so cut the bolt as described like the red line below? Just one line?

you got it!!! :wayhappy:

you can do more than one if you want......

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
you got it!!! :wayhappy:

you can do more than one if you want......
a few other tweaks to this trick...

--use a ''grade 8'' bolt...

-- make the cut and then grind or file away the lead side of the cut to leave a scraping edge when it is threaded into the hole...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well so much for easy :(

Tried Gene's methods and that darn metal nub still lives and i think that I made the entry threads a little worse at the entry. Never could get the cutter bolt started past it right.

So my next recourse is using a tap I guess. Being a newb I am somewhat challenged in the tool department, so is the below image the proper type of tap i need to try to re-thread the hole? Also I assume I would have to buy a cycle jack to get the bike up in the air enough to give the handle some room to ensure a straight thread? That tap handle looks big.

Another option could be to just put this off until after the thaw since i am kinda worried about screwing it up. I would imagine that my local Suzuki shop would be able to do this for me when i take it in - or don't they typically do this kind of stuff?

I welcome anyone's thoughts on the matter thanks!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Well so much for easy :(

Tried Gene's methods and that darn metal nub still lives and i think that I made the entry threads a little worse at the entry. Never could get the cutter bolt started past it right.

So my next recourse is using a tap I guess. Being a newb I am somewhat challenged in the tool department, so is the below image the proper type of tap i need to try to re-thread the hole? Also I assume I would have to buy a cycle jack to get the bike up in the air enough to give the handle some room to ensure a straight thread? That tap handle looks big.

Another option could be to just put this off until after the thaw since i am kinda worried about screwing it up. I would imagine that my local Suzuki shop would be able to do this for me when i take it in - or don't they typically do this kind of stuff?

I welcome anyone's thoughts on the matter thanks!

Tap looks right. Make sure the thread count is coarse or fine. The package you show here indicates fine thread. 7/16-20. Coarse thread has 14 threads per inch. Not sure what the frame is threaded for. Working on the bike is generally easier on a lift. It's hard for me to get down there on the ground.... and get back up!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should be a Fine thread, as I picked up some 10mm spares from Ace Hardware and they ran right in. The Cobra install guide suggests a 10mm 1.25 tap but doesn't specify much else.

So if I totally screw this up what would be my next step? Find a welder to put in a new thread? Ugh. I really want my highway bars....:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Should be a Fine thread, as I picked up some 10mm spares from Ace Hardware and they ran right in. The Cobra install guide suggests a 10mm 1.25 tap but doesn't specify much else.

So if I totally screw this up what would be my next step? Find a welder to put in a new thread? Ugh. I really want my highway bars....:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No, if you mess it up, drill it out to the next size up and add a helicoil which is a metal wire insert with inside and outside threads to repair damaged threads.

Amazon.com: Helicoil 5543-10 M10 x 1.25 Metric Fine Thread Repair Kit: Explore similar items

1 - 12 of 12 Posts